I've got a cheap guitar (SX low end) and need an amp. I was thinking of a Roland Microcube because it's cheap and versatile, but I'm a huge fan of the tube amp tone, especially with a bad monkey or something similar.

So, with a dirt cheap guitar and no experience (I'm still learning) is a tube amp worth the extra few bucks and the few less features? I was looking at something like the Epiphone Valve Junior or the Valve Junior combo stack so I could upgrade the cab later.

Good idea bad idea?
yes Good idea. THen you dont have to upgrade your amp later unless you plan to do gigs very soon. I doubt it since it sounds like you just started.

I would get the stack over the combo. The head can be modded easier and you can change the cabs. but I would choose the Crate palomino v8 over both of those. Depends on what you play.
Good idea

Im also looking into getting a tube amp so I cant help you much lol. But it is a good idea, alot of people seem to like the valve juniors
Best idea that anyone with a poor quality guitar has ever presented to UG

The VJ stack will sound better due to the improved speaker quality and size, there'd be more bottom end, it'd be easier to customize.

Also look into the Crate Palominos (If you're in the US.) the Harley Benton GA5 Head/Combo (if your in the UK.)
Wait . . . for the Blackheart Engineering Little Giant! A Valve Junior clone with switchable 3-Watt/5-Watt output so you can wail at lower volumes. Due out in a month.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Finally a newby with good ideas!

Who woulda thought.

Knock youself out with the VJ! I'd probably get an OD for lower volume drive..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
The only thing i have to say is that if you pair a crap guitar with a tube amp it might not sound great because unlike with a modelling amp there is nothing to cover up the guitar sound. But i'm not sure of the quality of the sx guitars, if they are decent sounding then it should be good with something like the evj. Oh yeah, and look at those ^^ Blackheart little amps. Cause this looks pretty friggen sweet: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BLABH5H
^ A good amp will make even the poorest of guitars sound decent enough until you get a new guitar to go with it.
Yeah i guess it will sound better, its just i have this squier bullet that sounds decent with my cube, but with my palomino i don't really like the sound too much, maybe thats just me not liking single coils or something tho lol.
That Blackheart stack looks pretty good. The guitar wasn't that great, but once I did a thorough set up it came to life, with 50-100 bucks in electronics and pickups it would easily be equal to a good MIM Fat Strat.

I have 250 currently, I was planning on buying an amp, something like a bad monkey for that nice overdrive, and some cheap guitar-fetish pickups. Would I be better off waiting for the Blackheart and just getting the amp and holding off on the pickups and bad monkey? Although I should be able to put aside another 50-100 by the time the amp comes out next month.

I'm just sick of playing through my 15 year old bass amp that sounds like a dying cat rather than a speaker.
I say wait and save up fot that blckheart, then you can get it, a cab, and some pickups of a good quality.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
I suppose I'll just hold off until the blackheart comes out. Will the combo be worth it or am I better off getting the head and finding my own separate cab? I'm not looking for something extremely loud, I just love that tone.
Quote by Denthúl
^ A good amp will make even the poorest of guitars sound decent enough until you get a new guitar to go with it.
Yeah, try playing a Hello Kitty Strat through a Soldano SLO. It sounds f*cking amazing.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto