Have any of you guys tried it, if so what did you thing of it?

Does it sound like a real tube amp?

Do the effects ruin it?

Opinions!?!?!?!?!?!?

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Hybrid amps are just as ****e as solid state, just the have a fancy name to try lure in kiddies.

Thats what happened to me with my Marshall AVT, and its ****.

Dont get one
i heard one of these at Music Live in Birmingham (big trade fair type thing if your not in the know)
and they just sounded awful!
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by 6Slay6tanic6
Hybrid amps are just as ****e as solid state, just the have a fancy name to try lure in kiddies.

Dont get one

There are some very nice hybrid amps out there. Just because the AVT and Spider suck donkey balls does not mean that they all do.

I really like the Vox valvtronics.

The spider hybrid is horrible. I didn't think it was any better than the spider 3.
Not taking any online orders.
tbh, its not worth the money, i have a valve king, cheapest valve amp u can get and it sound a hell of a lot better than the SPider Valve.

also the spider valve is way too complicated for me, too many different settings.

i didn't think it sounded much better than the normal spider. just ahd more depth which didn't really do anything to the sound quality,
i think the electronics/effects stuff reuined it,

more expensive, than some valve amps, and yet no where near as gd.
Guitars:
  • 40th Annivesary Strat USA
  • BC Rich Mockingbird ST
  • ESP LTD M200UC w/ BKP Aftermath's
  • Parker P38
  • Ibanez RG7321 w/D-sonic and Liquifire
  • Tangglewood TW47 B
  • PRS SE 245
  • Edwards E-EX-110D Stain Cloudy Black
Well, I guess its not very good

....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Quote by 6Slay6tanic6

Dont get one

Since when is it a hybrid? It's full-tube. Regardless, I heard it's not much better than the normal spider.
Apparently there is a input in the back that bypasses all the effects, so your just playing a full tube amp.

....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
I wouldn't bother with it, there isn't enough opinions on them yet I don't think, a valve modeler is just an oxymoron, the point of a modeler is to use digital processing to try and sound like certain famous valve amps. Which the spider doesn't really do that well to begin with, so I don't see that chucking valves into it is going to make a huge improvement.
Quote by Horlicks
Since when is it a hybrid? It's full-tube. Regardless, I heard it's not much better than the normal spider.

Digital modeling is not tube driven. That makes it a hybrid in my book.

Quote by stussy<>punk
Apparently there is a input in the back that bypasses all the effects, so your just playing a full tube amp.

I didn't see that on the one I got to play with. Perhaps that sounds better.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 10, 2007,
^ Its still a full tube amp. There are plenty of all tube amps that use transistors and diodes in the preamp, pretty much every Marshall after the JCM800 for instance.

The Hughes and Kettner Switchblade does the same type of thing as the Spider Valve and thats an all valve amp.

Haven't tried the Spider Valve so I'm going to reserve my judgment instead of bandwagon jumping like a lot of the 14 year olds on here.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
^ transistors and diodes are analog. Digital modelling is not. A bunch of people have already tried or heard it and say it's pants, and I have to agree. It's the same maligned Spider digital modelling section, with a valve pre and power amp after it. It's a bit warmer, but not a way to make it sound good... They should've done it with the Flextones, that'd have been a good idea.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I liked it, but maybe because I spent some time with it, tweaking settings, and giving it a good playing, and hadn't written it off and jumped on the band wagon before I tried it. Very versatile amp imo, with the only real issues being the effects were kind of cheesy and temperamental and navigating the presets is a pain in the ass. Cleans were nice and bright. The low and mid gain tones were also pretty good, and on par with my VJ when its run with a TS9 in terms of character, and overall quality. The high gain tones is where its really sweet. Lot more character and sounds a lot less digital then the Spider IIIs. All I can say is go try it for yourself and spend about 25-30 minutes with it tweaking settings and what. You'll probably like it.
^^ I know diode clipping can still mean the amp is analog, but I was just saying that the SV having a digital modelling stage doesn't stop it from being an all valve amp.

Have you actually tried it? I've heard bad things about it on this forum but several good reviews elsewhere. I won't be buying one but if I find one I'll probably try it out and see what I think.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
^ I haven't tried it, but I stand by the fact that running a Spider preamp into a valve section won't make it sound anywhere near as good as its price would justify it being.
^ According to Line 6 its a totally different preamp to a spider, the only things it shares are the names of the amp models. I can't see how you can agree that its "pants" without trying it yourself and knowing a bit about it.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by CorduroyEW
Digital modeling is not tube driven. That makes it a hybrid in my book.

My amp has spring-reverb, does that make it a hybrid? No.
^^ And I can't see how you can argue it's good without having tried it. The 1x12 is £440 on GAK. I can't imagine a situation where you'd want an over-everythinged Spider over a £440 valve amp. That money buys you a Delta Blues, a used AC30, a Classic 30, GH50L, VC30, Peavey Windsor, used JCM800/900, a Blues Junior, Randall RG50TC, or a Valveking. If it is better or better value than any of those then sorry. But I'm firmly in the 'Not' camp.
Read my posts again. Where have I said that its good? I've said I won't judge it until I try it out for myself.

I can see situations where it might be useful, such as playing in a covers band where you might want the versatility of modelling with the punch and warmth of a valve output. I'm not saying the amp is good or bad but on paper it has the potential to be very useful. I just hate it when people judge things without even trying them.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Horlicks
My amp has spring-reverb, does that make it a hybrid? No.

I thought you guys were smarter than this. Perhaps thats why I've stuck to the acoustic and GB&C for the last year.

Hybrid: Something of mixed origin or composition.

The spider valve is mixing digital and analog technology and that makes it a hybrid.
^ Technically yes, however with guitar amps a hybrid is usually something that uses a single valve either in the preamp or poweramp, and its usually just a marketing scheme.

Using your definition of hybrid, an amp that was made in the UK but had chinese made celestions in it could be a hybrid since its of "mixed origin".
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
That the dictionary definition not my own. I looked it up. This amp has digital components in its preamp stage. So part of it's tone comes from digital FX and part comes from the tubes and I don’t think it's so hard to grasp the idea that this amp may well be hybrid. If Line 6 were advertising it as "all tube" then perhaps I would look at it from another perspective but not even line 6 see it at all tube. It's a tube amp with a digital modeling sytem in the preamp. They did it backwards from what is "typically done" with hybrid amps but so what. One might ask themselves why they wouldn't call it "all tube" if it has a whole tube amp built into the thing. The answer is that IT ISN'T ALL TUBE! IT'S GOT A DIGITAL MODELING SYSTEM BUILT INTO THE PREAMP!

Anybody retarded enough to believe that this is going to perform like a REAL tube amp deserves what they get.

Anyway... I'm done with this.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by Axeman99
Read my posts again. Where have I said that its good? I've said I won't judge it until I try it out for myself.

I can see situations where it might be useful, such as playing in a covers band where you might want the versatility of modelling with the punch and warmth of a valve output. I'm not saying the amp is good or bad but on paper it has the potential to be very useful. I just hate it when people judge things without even trying them.

But some things arn't worth trying. Kerry King MG, anyone?
i reli like the valkve amp, and i rlei like the line 6 idea of gettin you all the effects you want, but to be honest you are better off buying a valve amp and getting your own effects, its im possible to get a normal tone out of a line 6, its alls gonna have some sorta mode to it, annoying and useful depends
overpriced as hell

don´t get it, you can get a good tube combo for less!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
I don't think many of you understand, it's not called the spider valve because it's using the spider digital preamp on a tube power section.

The only thing this amp has that relates to a spider is the way you dial up the tones, 2 clean, 2 tweed, 2 crunch, 2 metal, and 2 intense, the eq section, and the types of effects. The preamp is entirely different on the Spider Valve and the Spider IIIs.

I tried one out for about 10 minutes the other day, just playing with the presets. All of them sounded good, nothing great, but much better than the Valveking, Vox Valvetronix, Marshal AVT, Randall RX series.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I don't think many of you understand, it's not called the spider valve because it's using the spider digital preamp on a tube power section.

The only thing this amp has that relates to a spider is the way you dial up the tones, 2 clean, 2 tweed, 2 crunch, 2 metal, and 2 intense, the eq section, and the types of effects. The preamp is entirely different on the Spider Valve and the Spider IIIs.

I tried one out for about 10 minutes the other day, just playing with the presets. All of them sounded good, nothing great, but much better than the Valveking, Vox Valvetronix, Marshal AVT, Randall RX series.

Thank you, thats what I've been trying to say. I can see the use of having an amp with presets like I said earlier although personally I would prefer an amp with one or two great tones as opposed to lots of good ones.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
yah this is pretty ridiculous comparing it to a jcm800 or a classic yah you could afford those used but just saying that it out right sucks thats just stupid yah it is over priced but it those it is bettor than my valvetronix hands down or even a valveking and dont even get me me started with the AVT it prob wouldnt have been bettor for 500 because come on the spider is still there you can hear it its covered with it but the tubes make a huge diffrence such a big diffrence that i wouldnt minde paying 600 for it at the least not that i will but i wouldnt mind paying
Quote by Axeman99
Thank you, thats what I've been trying to say. I can see the use of having an amp with presets like I said earlier although personally I would prefer an amp with one or two great tones as opposed to lots of good ones.

I prefer versatility compared to a one trick pony. I don't see the fun in playing with the same distortion and clean everday, which is why I own a Roadking (120 options 100% tube). I prefer the higher end Line 6's much more than the FLextone/SV/Spider but i think for the versatility you get, Line 6 makes some good stuff.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I prefer versatility compared to a one trick pony. I don't see the fun in playing with the same distortion and clean everday, which is why I own a Roadking (120 options 100% tube). I prefer the higher end Line 6's much more than the FLextone/SV/Spider but i think for the versatility you get, Line 6 makes some good stuff.

I'm not keen on one trick ponies, but something like a Laney GH50L for instance; single channel but you can get great cleans, crunch and heavy distortion just from that one channel and it sounds great. Amps like the spider valve and flextone are useful mainly when you want different voicings in one amp IMO. For example a marshally british tone, a fender like american tone or a little class A EL84 type amp tone. Obviously this is difficult to do with a lot of non modelling amps without extensive tweaking.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
the spider valve wasn't bad, but for the price you could do a lot better. its really not worth what it costs, its just a spider III with some valves in it...

you'd be better off just getting a pod 2.0 and an atomic reaktor...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.