I've been wondering what the bar thing is for that is sometimes above the locking nut fixed onto the headstock but its only on some guitars, is it to make the angle less severe or something??
its on this guitar

but not on this one ??

the charvel's got a weird locking nut but you get the idea of what i'm on about =]
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I don't know why some guitars have it and others don't. I think it's just to make sure the strings are at the same height as the tuners
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Yeah basically it is a string tree, just helps to keep the tension/action down a bit when the string comes out of the locking nut.
Are those charvel nuts unlockable by hand?
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
^ not sure but it does look like it

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
It's made to give the strings the correct breaking angle over the nut so it won't go too sharp when you clamp it down. Imagine if it wasn't there in that first images- the strings would get tugged on considerably when the nut was locked.
^ so ones without it, don't have such a sharp angle so they don't really need them, like in the pic the charvel headstock is angled back, so does that kinda make up for not having one?

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by sepultura alma
^ so ones without it, don't have such a sharp angle so they don't really need them, like in the pic the charvel headstock is angled back, so does that kinda make up for not having one?

Exactly if you look at the Fender type headstock you can see where it drops down but then it is straight back where as the Charvel just angles right from the nut back so they are not required. If you did not have it on the Fender the strings will ride to high up on the tuner nad it would be a pian in the ass to wind it properly.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09