I have wired according to the diagram I was given with the Pickups. I used the diagram for the

-1 Volume
-1 Tone
-w/3 position lever switch

You can find the same diagram here

The problem is that after all of the wiring, I am still unable to get any sound out of the pickups. If I tap the battery in the back it will sometimes make a sound simultaneously. I believe it has to do with where I soldered the wires, and maybe how I soldered them.

What could it be? Because I have followed them well, or so I hope. Although I have a slight suspicion that I might have soldered the wires on the wrong sides of things.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by TheWilling at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by TheWilling
I have wired according to the diagram I was given with the Pickups. I used the diagram for the

-1 Volume
-1 Tone
-w/3 position lever switch

You can find the same diagram here

The problem is that after all of the wiring, I am still unable to get any sound out of the pickups. If I tap the battery in the back it will sometimes make a sound simultaneously. I believe it has to do with where I soldered the wires, and maybe how I soldered them.

What could it be? Because I have followed them well, or so I hope. Although I have a slight suspicion that I might have soldered the wires on the wrong sides of things.

*pic removed for brevity*

Thanks in advance.

1 - The pic really doesn't show what we need to see, details of which wire is connected to which terminal on the 3-way -AND- which wire is connected to which terminal on the output jack.

2 - The link to EMG's site is useless.

There are 8 wiring diagrams on there, none of which use the import switch that you have.

3 - I can't tell from the pic, but it appear you MIGHT have the battery (-) connection going to the tip connection of the output jack, instead of the ring connection.

Remove the output jack and examine it closely.

The long bent metal piece with the bump farthest away from the bushing is the tip connection. Use your eyes and follow the metal around between the insulators and see which terminal it is connected to. This is where the output from the Volume control should be connected.

Do the same with the other piece that has the bump closer to the bushing. This is the ring connection. This should be where the battery (-) is connected.

The 3rd connection is the bushing, or sleeve. It should be very obvious, because it isn't at all like the others. That is the ground.

4 - It's difficult to tell from the photo, but it looks like the wires from the pickups are just soldered to the back of the volume controls. That simply won't work. Only the outside braid from those wires should be connected there. The inner wire needs to continue to the selector switch.

5 - Again, difficulty with the photo, but the connections to the selector seem all wrong.

6 - I've posted a diagram of Ibanez's diagram for the SA-120. Copy it to your hard-drive and modify it to show the connections you are now using. Don't worry about the battery, just the returns from the pickup and the connections between the volume, tone, selector, and output jack.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yeah, that's sorta what I guessed from the pic. That aint gonna fly. Ever.

I'll copy your drawing and try to show you how to correct things with the fewest possible moves. I'm kinda busy right now, might not get to it for about 4 hours. If someone else wants to take this, that would be cool, otherwise, see ya in a while.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.