I hope this hasn't been posted before......didn't see it in search it is has. Sorry if has.

I have been advised to get a Compression Pedal but i am clueless as to what they actually do.......

and also can anyone suggest a good one?

Cheers
Okay, for starters, you would have been better off asking in the thread "Effects Pedals" that's already up.

A compression pedal "evens" out your sound. It quietens loud parts, and raises quiet parts of your tone, making it more even, thus allowing you to sit more comfortable in the mix.

I don't own one, however, so I don't know any good ones. Just look for Bass Compression Pedals, and stay away from Behringer!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Do apologise,

i will keep my eyes open and see what people recomend.
Quote by Nutter_101
and stay away from Behringer!

Good man, good man.

Ashdown has a compression pedal I do beleive, but it i $90. Which isn't really $90 anymore thank you very much inflation. But I think if you didn't know what it was you probabally don't need one. I only use one out of my 40 set ups with compression, I don't find it that useful.
the guy that told me to get one was a sound tech, he just said that it would be a sound investment and never said why, hence i am lost.....
Quote by Kethnus
Do apologise,

i will keep my eyes open and see what people recomend.

Don't worry about it mate. Good to see someone who takes advice around here.

Some people swear by compression, others don't see the point, so try one out, if you like it, go for it!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Remember the best compessors come in rack mount form. If you have the money for one, but don't have a rack, just plug into your effects loop for the same effect.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Boss CS-1, CS-2, and CS-3 are all excellent. I have the CS-2 and CS-3 and both do the job well. I put one in front of my octave pedal so it functions properly, and the other later on in the line but turned down low.

Another good compressor pedal is the Aphex Punch Factory. When I get around to reduciing my pedalboard, I'll probably sell my CS-3 and get this guy.

Right now in my rack, I'm using a dbx266XL Comp/Gate. It's an affordable, well-rounded unit that also functions as a noise gate. I was going to get the dbx166 or an Alesis (which are better), but I found mine new-in-the-box at a pawn shop for $25. For a $225 pedal, you can't really beat that!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by gm jack
Remember the best compessors come in rack mount form. If you have the money for one, but don't have a rack, just plug into your effects loop for the same effect.

+1

a sound tech would probably mean a rack mount form compressor since thats a real investment over a $100 pedal, try to get a dbx since i believe they are probably the best compressors but they are usually around $300-$3500.

heres a few i will suggest looking into
http://www.dbxpro.com/160A/160A.php
http://www.dbxpro.com/1066/1066.php
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
yeah, rack mount is the way to go. I also recommend not playing with a compressor when you are practicing, only for shows and in the studio. You don't want to turn it into a cruch that detracts from your ability to properly control the dynamics of your bass. Good players should be able to get consistant sounds when they want without a compressor, don't get sloppy because it's easier to get consistant attack and volume.
Thanks to all of you for your help! things seem so much clearer now.
Quote by Charlatan_001
BBE Sonic Maximizers are the **** - I'm saving up for the rackmounted version.

However, sonic maximisers are not Compressors. One model has one built in, but they work completely differently.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
However, sonic maximisers are not Compressors. One model has one built in, but they work completely differently.

Oh, I wasn't aware that only one model had compression built in.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Oh, I wasn't aware that only one model had compression built in.

Or maybe a line, but not all.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1