hi I have a jackson with a floyd rose trem and since I changed the strings a bit ago it is a complete bastard to tune and then will not stay in tune for any reasonable length of time. It seems like as I tighten the top e the low e drops out of tune. Does anyone know why this might be and how can I fix it???

Also I took all the strings off at once whilst changin them which I later found out you're not meant to do so don't know if this might have caused it.
Look on the Floyd Rose site, theres a guide for how to tune it properley

But that's floating bridges for you
Just keep tuning it over and over and over until it regains balance.

Everytime you play and it goes out just unlock and retune.

Sorry, its the only way really, long winded but worth it cos once its done you only have to tune about once every two weeks.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
If you tighten any string, it pulls on the bridge more, so the other strings drop a bit in tuning.

Since it also keeps going out of tune, try stretching the strings out. If they're Ernie Balls, they'll be stretching forever unless you do it yourself.
cheers, do they all do this then, are floating bridges known for being hard to tune? i only got the guitar a couple of weeks ago n my old one just has a normal bridge. is pissin me off cos it was like £700 which is quite a lot to me
you'll notice that when you retune a string, the other strings go flat

so tune the lower strings a bit sharp. that way, when you tune the last string (high e) the lower strings will be less out of tune. repeat the process.
this makes it quicker to tune. just takes some time until you find the balance
but once you do... it's great. mine has been in tune for a month now
Well Floyd Rose's are a pretty cool thing to have, as long as you're ready to tune it

I've had one for a while now and i can do a full restring in half an hour and all the strings will be stretched and the next day after some more stretching, the bridge will be parralel to the body

But it's something you should have been aware of before £700, but they're not too bad to string and keep their tuning for a long time so meh
Does your jackson have a real floyd rose, like does it say Floyd Rose on the side opposite the tremolo arm? If you have an LFR, it is possible that it is worn out and won't really hold tune that well anyway.

I would go ahead and change strings again to make sure you do it properly.

2 things to keep in mind:
Make sure you have plenty of string in the lock box
Tighten the locking nut firmly, but don't overtighten it

Search the lessons section of UG for changing strings.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by one vision
no, DONT keep tuning, as u keep tuning it'll start rising (the bridge) and it'll be mad high u might even break it, i doubt it though. but i had the same problem, u have to get it set up by a guitar tech.

thats fine, you have to 'keep tuning'. the bridge will only rise if your spring tension in the back and your string tension isn't equal. for a floating trem, which i assume the threadstarters jackson is, it has to be equal for the trem to sit level with the body. you have to either tighten or loosen the 2 screws that the claw in the back attaches to depending on if the bridge is lifted or is sunk into the body. if you go from let's say .9's to .10's then just tighten the claw. anything thats a much higher change in string tension you add an extra spring to the claw. its pretty simple really, just have to take it slow and no drastic changes all at once.

threadstarter if you're unsure then take it to a guitar shop and they'll set it up for you. my guess is you probably changed string gauge which is why the trem is how it is now.

http://floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html is a good straight forward tutorial, especially read step's 4-6

Step 4:
When you have finished tuning all of the strings, check the tuning on the low ‘E’ again. If the low ‘E’ is now flat, re-tune the strings starting again with the low ‘E’ but this time tune the E, A, D, G, and B strings a little bit sharp, then the high ‘E’ to pitch. If the low ‘E’ is sharp, re-tune as just described only tuning the first five strings a little flat. You must tune the strings a little sharp or flat to get to your tuning because every time you change the tension (or pitch) of one string, the other strings change pitch in the opposite direction.

Step 5:
Repeat step 4 until all the strings are at the desired pitch.

Step 6:
When the strings are at the desired pitch, check to see if the bridge base plate is sitting parallel with the top surface of the guitar. If the base plate is tilted forward away from the body, you must tighten the tremolo springs tension by turning the spring claw screws clockwise and repeat step 4. If the base plate is tilted back toward the body, you must loosen the tremolo springs tension by turning the spring claw screws counterclockwise and repeat step 4. [Step 6 only needs to be done on initial setup of the bridge or if you change to another gauge of strings or change to a different tuning.]]

and there are a ton of video's on youtube you can look at.
yeah I went from 9's to 12's so that probably whats done it. OK awesome ill check it out. cheers nice1
lol wtf 9 - 12 . u need alot of truss rod adjustments / springs added / action adjusted
Quote by hammet_is_godd
yeah I went from 9's to 12's so that probably whats done it. OK awesome ill check it out. cheers nice1

Wow. OK yea you definitely need to do what BirdHouse said. Take it to a guitar shop
I'd strongly advise against 12's unless you're de-tuning...you shouldn't really go above 10's with a Floyd in standard tuning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'd strongly advise against 12's unless you're de-tuning...you shouldn't really go above 10's with a Floyd in standard tuning.

Yeah. Even with a setup, .12s just don't work well for Floyds, and it can also lead to you needing neck adjustments more often.

PS: He does not need a truss rod adjustment, god people, you wonder why there are so many screwed up guitars? Because people think for every little thing you need to screw with the truss rod. You will need to raise the bridge and adjust the springs, but don't screw around with the truss rod until you need to.
why do you scare people of setting up their guitar?

i've set my tremolo, change gauge and all.... i had some problemsof course.
but please don't waste your money to change the strings on your guitar!! anyone can do it. just look for info

try to understand how the tremolo works. there's so many information about that. just search
Quote by Tweak88
why do you scare people of setting up their guitar?

i've set my tremolo, change gauge and all.... i had some problemsof course.
but please don't waste your money to change the strings on your guitar!! anyone can do it. just look for info

try to understand how the tremolo works. there's so many information about that. just search

Because people go over kill. Im not scaring them out of it, but people think for everything you need to adjust your trussrod. I dunno, maybe cheaper guitars are like that, but I've never run into issues with it before.