Right I'm off to the guitar shop first thing tomorrow to try out some amps. One I'm seriously considering is the Laney VC30. I know theres a Laney thread but I need to know how much gain the VC30 has on its own without pedals?

Can it get classic metal and rock tones like Van Halen and Iron Maiden?

Also with an OD pedal boosting it how heavy can it get? I'm not into super heavy stuff but I like the high gain british sound (hot rodded Marshall etc)

Cheers
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
That sounds like it has just about enough gain for what I need then, I'm just a bit worried that it might be a bit too vintagey and loose sounding? I like quite a tight bottom end, am I right in thinking that running an OD will tighten it up nicely?
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
That sounds like it has just about enough gain for what I need then, I'm just a bit worried that it might be a bit too vintagey and loose sounding? I like quite a tight bottom end, am I right in thinking that running an OD will tighten it up nicely?

I don't know but probably
If you know there's a Laney thread use it, there's the FAQ there. =(

Can the VC do metal? How heavy can it go?
The VC is a very versatile amp, but not a lot of gain, without help it could probably manage classic rock at bedroom volumes, much further than that and it will need and OD to manage, cranked it could handle a bit more. But you’re best bet is to buy an OD, a simple tubescreamer (Ibanez TS9/808, Maxon OD9/808 or the cheap Digitech Bad Monkey if you’re on a budget.) or the likes would push enough gain out of it but you may need an EQ pedal to shape the tone into a more metal oriented sound. You should definitely try it first seeing as peoples tastes and ideas of what high gain is are different.
Sorry, I did read that FAQ though

I just made a thread because I need replies pretty quickly. It looks like I'll have to try it to see how much gain it has. Hope they have them in stock.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112