OK, we've all been playing, maybe in low light condition, quickly looked down at our guitar neck to orient our hand and, for just a moment aren't sure if we're in the 5th, 7th or 9th fret - usually we quickly figure it out, but a moment of indecision could be dangerous as we hit that dissonant chord or note. My solution is to look for an inlay (with stye) that, while tasteful, that could also be helpful to my eyes in helping me to quickly orient to the correct fret.

So, with that in mind, I told my luthier of the problem and, yeah, he said he could put some inlays on the upper side of the neck, thereby improving my need for quick orientation to the fretboard of my guitar in low light (stage) conditions. So he sends me these examples... I can only say - "Not on my axe bro." Ugly just ain't the word. Round and varying sizes of dots - c'mon... you're a lutheir, have some style man! Have you heard the word 'artistic'?

So I'm looking for style... Can anyone help me? Anybody know of any unusual and cool looking inlays that won't mar, but improve my neck look? I've checked out Steward MacDonald and a couple of other guitar supply stores with no luck. Dots of varying sizes just don't do it? Might as well put braille on there (no offense to my blind friends).

straty
Last edited by stratyourstuff at Nov 10, 2007,
Are you saying that the luthier suggested side dots, and you went ape**** on him?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
wot bout gettin fret lights installd at evry second marker lyk the 1st 5st 9th 15th aso?
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
the fret lights would be awesome, but once you get used to your guitar, you should be able to know where the frets are by the distance ur hand is out.

some people can jump around the board without looking say for instance, being able to be playing lead at the 15th+ fret, then jumping back to the rythem at about 3rd fret...
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Id think that side lights would look really cool. Instead of having small dots on the sides, u could have small LED light on the side. There is a site that does that, but idk the name of it right now.
Fret lights would be cool... but I wonder...
If you somehow installed a small black light somewhere.... that would light them up perfectly. I used to play under black light all the time, it was kickass cause it made my inlays, and pick guard glow purple. Just a thought?
Quote by qotsa1998
Id think that side lights would look really cool. Instead of having small dots on the sides, u could have small LED light on the side. There is a site that does that, but idk the name of it right now.

aurora project?
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
why not if the neck is going to be painted paint it black and put glow in the dark stripes in on the back or if its gonna be painted another colour such as white paint black stripes and paint glow in the dark stripes on thoughs , i think it was ibanez ? that made a guitar with cubic zirconian side dots because they catch more light you can do stuff like that
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
pikka me?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Go pikka yourself!

Maybe I should've been a little more clear- I meant the examples the luthier gave the TS.
these should work

Fret FX LEDs
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Or you could develop muscle memory better.

Seriously is not hard to tell where the frets are.
Quote by Tallman
Or you could develop muscle memory better.

Seriously is not hard to tell where the frets are.

look don't get clever on him, he wants to know about inlays not muscle memory
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by stevo192
look don't get clever on him, he wants to know about inlays not muscle memory

He wants to know about inlays that are visible in low light conditions, so as to stop him from making mistakes. My comment is very relevant.
Tritium would work well. It's radioactive isotope of hydrogen used in gun sights, watches and compasses. It's not harmful (unless, maybe, if you eat alot of it) and it glows constantly for 10yrs, give or take. You can get it in red, green, orange or yellow.

To buy it (pricey) contact Trijicon (trijicon.com) and ask about replacement lamps.

Quote by sanchezero
Tritium would work well. It's radioactive isotope of hydrogen used in gun sights, watches and compasses. It's not harmful (unless, maybe, if you eat alot of it) and it glows constantly for 10yrs, give or take. You can get it in red, green, orange or yellow.

To buy it (pricey) contact Trijicon (trijicon.com) and ask about replacement lamps.

Aye but how do you fit it onto your guitar?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Ya, they come in tiny little vials. You'd drill a small hole right where your 3/5/7/9etc neck markers are and pop 'em in. Prolly glued in or shellac over to affix them.