Ok, I am probably getting bass gear soon...right after I get a new guitar amp.

For a bass, I plan to either get a Musicman Bongo 5 or a Stingray 5. I am looking into getting Ampegs because they just have the best overall tone...yet I dont know which one I will be able to afford. I would like to just see if anyone can give me a run down on all the ampegs I'm looking at. I play metal...like Decapitated, Necrophagist, Suffocation, etc.

So the amps I'm looking at are...

SVT Classic
SVT 3 Pro
SVT 4 Pro
B2RE Head

If I got any of those, Id put them with an 8x10 cab.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
If your playing Metal I would suggest trying some ashdowns. Ampegs are pretty good though, our Jazz bands Bass amp held up for about 10 years and just last year bit the bullet. I think it may just be a bad lead though. But out of those I would say the classic head, because that's the only one I've played enough to comment on.
I have the SVT4 pro, its nice, powerful, and has tons of features. I'd lean towards the CL however, just because well its the classic!!!!
SVT-4 PRO If you can afford it. But, as anyone else will tell you the best way to find out which one is best is to try them yourself.

The Ampeg SVT-CL will get you a very full/fat tone since it's true-tube, and as it's name implies, it models the classic era of around the 60s. It is an awesome head, but I would not recommend it for your style.

The Ampeg SVT-4 PRO has a 3-tube pre-amp and a Mos-Fet power amp so it has a larger range of tones accessible, more importantly ones that would best fit your music style. But, it does have the capability to create the classic full tones, not as well as the CL, but still quite well.

The main difference I ever found with the 3 and 4 is the amount of power they deliver (SVT3 = 450W, SVT4 = 1200W).

And finally the B-2RE is an all solid state head, as in it'll give you flat out a punchier and tighter bass tone, which is necessary for any metal genre almost. It's basically the SVT3 and 4 without the tubes, so it doesn't have as much tonal range, but if you just want something for your tone, then I'd suggest it highly because of it's price and it's more centered around that tone.

Here's my opinions in order for you:
SVT-4 PRO [If you can afford]
SVT-3 PRO
B-2RE
SVT-CL [Probably best as a head to get later on for fun]

Also, I'd vote for the Sting-Ray, :P (Not a big fan of MM, but I'm less a fan of Bongos)
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Well, what are you looking for in an amp?

I think the SVT Classic goes best with an 810 - it's loud, and tubey. The EQ control is shite, but if you don't care, you have a rig that's classic for a reason. Personally, I'm not a tubey kinda guy.

The SVT3PRO is a great contemporary amplifier, but in my opinion, it's way too underpowered for an 810. A 4 ohm 410, sure, but not an 810.

SVT4PRO is a fantastic amp, and IMO it's Ampeg's best. However, if you're not going to run it in stereo, it's not worth it. Mono-bridge mode is too powerful for an 810 (i.e. 1200W as opposed to Ampeg's 800W cab) and running an 810 in stereo a) 'wastes' it's power since each side will be 8 ohms and b) is kinda useless considering the frequency response of 10" speakers. However, it's still cool if you're willing to have an amp that's not quite living up to it's potential.

The B2RE makes me question how much research you did before asking this question. The B series has been called the poor man's SVT, and basically it is. You can probably buy 4 of these heads for the price of, say, an SVT4. It has even less power than an SVT3PRO and is without any tubes in the preamp and is should only really be used with a 410.

I think you should hit the books for a couple of months before making a decision.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah I probably will end up looking into it more.

I dont use gain at all. I just want a punchy bass tone....similar to Novy's from Vader.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
good choice of amps, and some good responces from the room. my order would be:

SVT 4 Pro
SVT Classic
SVT 3 Pro
B2RE Head
i own the B2R, and like it, but it is the "bastard step-child" of the bunch.
poor mans SVT is an adequate description. but it's still all Ampeg!
If you're considering the price ranges of the 4 Pro and the Classic, just scratch off the 3 Pro and consider the 6-Pro. It gives you the same power as the 4-Pro, and if you're not planning on biamping, is the much better option. It's got 3 more tubes for tone, a fully-parametric EQ, it's smaller, and in a mono-rig situation, it'll whip the 4 Pro into next week. But if you wanna biamp, look to the 4 Pro for sure.

Between the basses? Stingray 5 for sure.

And if you don't like the 6-Pro, my vote goes for the 4-Pro.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Nov 10, 2007,
Yeah...I'll probably try to get an SVT-4 Pro...

I am looking in to trying to get a Tobias used...maybe a 5 or 4 string. Better than the stingray? I might even just have a custom made by this guy in new york.
Quote by tarlkea
I have the Classic and the 8x10, and I can get some ridiculous metal tones out of it. Listen to some of Rex Brown from Pantera's older stuff; pure Ampeg tube! He has one of the best metal tones ever, and I can get very close to it with that rig. Even for being all-tube and lacking 'defined' EQ variability, it's still very versatile from what I've found. If you're looking for "punch," this is your amp. It's like getting hit with a brick wall repeatedly.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
^And how is it? Did you manage to get that Jason tone you asked me about?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I wouldn't get any of those. Go with an ashdown, they're awesome.

Otherwise, get the SVT-4 PRO... I mean, if your budget will allow it.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by thefitz
^And how is it? Did you manage to get that Jason tone you asked me about?

Through some careful fooling around I got a tone that's quite close. It involves the bass around 5, the frequency switch set to a "low mid" frequency and slightly boosted, and the treble around 7.

EDIT: And playing with either A: a pick (for best results, since he did the same), or B: with a very heavy attack. It sounds great either way, but I still am partial to a scooped mids tone. It's a beautiful sounding amp. I A/B'd it with an SVT-4 PRO, and there was no comparison (to me). The PRO beat it in versatility, but the Classic was surprisingly versatile for an all-tube amp; and if you want tube tone, the only way you'll get it is with real tubes. That's my two cents.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Nov 11, 2007,