Poll: Do I deserve it?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do I deserve it?
Yes, you don't have to be good for good gear.
58 79%
No, get better first then buy sweet gear.
15 21%
Voters: 73.
Page 1 of 2
Im not good at guitar. Im relatively new. So my question is do I deservea really nice amp when others who are better and play more don't have it? I don't really think I do, but I still want it.... I was gonna get a vintage Marshall JCM 800, btw.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
If you've got the cash, why not?

Just do it. You're gonna get better someday.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
uh... no, you have to have atleast 2000 experience points before you can buy a Marshall JCM 800.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Its not a matter of if you deserve it. You buying one is not going to adversely effect every other guitarist in the world. I say buy the **** out of it if you have the money.
REMEMBER REMEMBER THE 8TH OF NOVEMBER!! I SURVIVED 4CHAN'S INVASION!!
Uneeded Praising Section:
Quote by The_Hottest_Day
Why didnt you get cable-less mics?

Quote by Oldmonkeys
lol good call

Quote by Kensai
^
^ That was at me so yes it is praise.
Quote by Badreligionrock
If you've got the cash, why not?

Just do it. You're gonna get better someday.

Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Yeah, if you have the money go for it.

Don't let the "good" players guilt you for having nice gear.
You can play with whatever gear you want to play with, assuming you have the means to get it. If you want to save up your money and buy a nice amp (or get one as a gift, it doesn't matter) go ahead. No one has any right to determine who gets to play what; anyone who tries to = severely jealous, and a douche.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
You don't have to be good to get good gear, you just have to know you're going to be sticking with guitar long enough to put it to good use.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
If you're going to put the effort into bettering yourself on the guitar, why not?
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
If you're gonna use it, why not? It'll help give you motivation anyway. If you have a crap amp, and no matter how good you are it's going to sound crap, where's the motivation there? Go for it bud.
It's nice of you to think that way, but if your serious about learning and plan on sticking it, your going to need good gear.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Look at it this way.

You get great gear, learn to play it, become a supahfly rawk stah.

Or instance number two.

You play it for a while, get bored, sell it to someone else who needs it.

You lose, what exactly?

Edit::

Also, you don't need good gear to be good, if you don't feel like spending that much. I've got a $300 ibanez through a line 6 and I'm fine with my setup (when I'm in the mood for it).
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
The main thing is will you get use of it?

Do you plan on playing in a band or do you just want it because its loud and expensive. Are you going to use it? Are you dedicated?

I think thats the difference between "deserving" it and letting it collect dust!
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Kensai
uh... no, you have to have atleast 2000 experience points before you can buy a Marshall JCM 800.

Damnit that's my line! I make the RPG references around here! You need at least 78 STR to even be able to carry that thing around for gigs. And we all know you need a lotta stamina to do an entire gig quest.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
The main thing is will you get use of it?

Do you plan on playing in a band or do you just want it because its loud and expensive. Are you going to use it? Are you dedicated?

I think thats the difference between "deserving" it and letting it collect dust!

eventually, yes I do plan on being in a band. I will not have it up loud for some time, so its not because of either of those reasons. I'm not rich or have a job cuz I'm to young, so its not because of the price or to be a jerk andrub it in peoples faces.

My cousin, who's a guitarist, gave me a PRS to learn on when I told him I was interested in playing. Suddenly, I had the best guitar out of any guitarist at my school.

No, you don't need to be really good to have good gear. None of the guitarists that I knew were jealous or anything; they thought it was pretty awesome (and forced me to let them have a turn on it.)
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Eminored
Damnit that's my line! I make the RPG references around here! You need at least 78 STR to even be able to carry that thing around for gigs. And we all know you need a lotta stamina to do an entire gig quest.

Don't forget, he needs 200 INT to wire it up right and 175 DEX to set his tone.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
As long as you're going to use it and not waste money, go for anything you want.
Quote by Eminored

Consider yourself... Dungeons & Pwned
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Ishiga

But yeah, I say go for it TS. If you think you'll use and enjoy it, there's absolutely no harm in it.
dang it... looks like I need to level alot more then.

EDIT: WOW! All the coolest UGers are here!!!!!!11!1!!

Last edited by Pinky19 at Nov 10, 2007,
you deserve it as much as the next guy, just don't buy it and then never make any improvement.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
yeah i got a tube amp while my lead guitarist has a solid state,having nice gear can make you better than you thought you were so yeah go for it
As long as you are confident that you won't give up guitar, go for it!
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by Pan-Tallica
You don't have to be good to get good gear, you just have to know you're going to be sticking with guitar long enough to put it to good use.

Exactly, that's what I thought too when I bought my gear as a total newbie.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Kensai

What level is that?
Quote by Archaon
What level is that?

level 26, you noob.

Even if you give up, you can still sell it off craigslist or ebay, make some cash off it and provide the next new guy with a sweet amp he may never put to good use.

It's what makes guitar such a profitable field, excited kids buying stuff they don't need. :P

Go for it, man. You'll sound wicked playing new guy stuff.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
I buy cheap stuff because I like it.

If you buy expensive stuff because you like it, that's cool by me.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Don't buy one until your power levels are over 9000.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Pinky19
level 26, you noob.

Oh, ****. I guess I better start grinding for levels.

*spends rest of the day practicing*
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Don't buy one until your power levels are over 9000.
WHAT, NINE THOUSAND?!?!
Quote by Pinky19
Im not good at guitar. Im relatively new. So my question is do I deservea really nice amp when others who are better and play more don't have it? I don't really think I do, but I still want it.... I was gonna get a vintage Marshall JCM 800, btw.

Well, I won't say you don't "deserve" it... If it's your own money, then why not. However, if you're a better player, you'll have an easier time choosing your amp - but at the same time, without gear that sounds good, it's often hard to find motivation to get better, but you'll also risk finding out you don't like your amp once you reach a certain level. What a dilemma! You can always sell it used, of course.
I'm a communist. Really.
Buy the amp man!!!!

I've only been playing for a year and 8 months and in that time I've saved for a Gibson. There's folk I know who have been playing for longer and in that time they've bought loads of mediocre guitars when they could have bought one amazing guitar for the same combined price. Don't go that route!!! Buy a really great quality guitar and amp and they'll last you for decades....don't feel like you have to have played for a long time before you "earn" an instrument or piece of equipment.

Peace
I just got a Mesa head new and felt bad about it, because I don't think I'm that great(thats healthy I guess). Every says I'm good and I'm the best at school so I guess it's alright.
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Get the amp if you are going to use it.
It doesn't matter if you are good, it maters if you are going to use it.
Quote by Ishiga

Page 1 of 2