O.k first Jazz band concert playing my Upright. Not to worried about the music or playing wise, but more of amplifying. My good chord has decided to come dangerously close to shorting out, and I still haven't picked a good way to set my pickup. So these are some of the troubles I face.

And two of the songs I still haven't fully mastered. A String of Pearls- Starts in C, no problem, switches to Ab, which I usually don't have a problem with, but this song actually has a lot of D's in it. Or Db to be more correct. So on Upright I'm still having a little trouble.

It Don't Mean a Thing- Fast paced song, I've got the main riff down, but the rest I'm improvising my but off and it's not much fun for me and hate the fact that I have try and lean into two and four. It comes natural on Electric but on Upright it throws off rythm.

So any pointers or luck wished? I'm practicing a lot this morning, and I still have about 4 hours before I have to pack up and go.
Well, it's kind of a big change right now, but on upright remember to shift your first finger to reach where your third finger has to be. So if you're playing a Bb and then have to go C, Db, play the Bb and then shift your first finger to a B and then play C and Db with your second and third fingers. It's quite a monstrous change to do in four hours but it can help a lot in shifting smoothly, and in tune.
I wouldn't personally lean into two and four that much. The drummer is covering that with his hat, and you're not really going to be contributing a whole bunch of accent. Only do what comes naturally to dig in. Just my opinion.

Good luck.
Good luck man. I've just started on Double Bass, and it's a lot of fun.

Sound like hard pieces, so well done
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
sounds like Jazzy knows what he's talking about, so i bid you a hearty,
"Break-a-leg" lol. old school for good luck. i'm sure you will make us proud. let us know how it goes!!
good luck man, do the bass forum proud

thats all sorry, no advice
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Good luck FMan.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
dude have an awesome time doing it cant really help ya as ive never tried upright but u should b fine
I am me. Live with it.
wow we're playing string of pearls in jazz band also, I'm using my electric though

its such a cool song for bass, there are even a few solos

the only problem i have is that my conductor literally makes me turn the bass down to an level thats impossible to hear, even the percussionists tell me they can't hear me even on the solos, and they're right next to the amp, so i know no one in the crowd can hear me

and it sucks even more for that song, because when you listen to it on most old recordings, the bass and trumpets are the most prominent instruments
Well, that rocked. I ended up using the other bassist's chords and amps, got to ride over there in a Corvette (Parents took my equipment) did an awesome job on every song, except... The very last song we played (It don't mean a thing) my right and left forearm muscles began to lock up like no other. So I dropped back my improv to a bare minimum. We only played for thirty minutes though. It was at an old folks home, and they loved it. and my parents said all the people around them couldn't believe we had a doublebass. So it was pretty awesome. Sorry Jazzy, I couldn't master the entire rethinking of my playing in four hours, but I'm still working on it. It really helps when playing in Eb and beyond.

I beleive I did the bass forum good. Thanks guys!
Quote by FbSa
Well, that rocked. I ended up using the other bassist's chords and amps, got to ride over there in a Corvette (Parents took my equipment) did an awesome job on every song, except... The very last song we played (It don't mean a thing) my right and left forearm muscles began to lock up like no other. So I dropped back my improv to a bare minimum. We only played for thirty minutes though. It was at an old folks home, and they loved it. and my parents said all the people around them couldn't believe we had a doublebass. So it was pretty awesome. Sorry Jazzy, I couldn't master the entire rethinking of my playing in four hours, but I'm still working on it. It really helps when playing in Eb and beyond.

I beleive I did the bass forum good. Thanks guys!

woohoo!! Corvette???? way to go!! dude!
my arm pumps up and locks down occasionally, i do just what you did. loosen up, and improv it through. good job, buddy!
Good job bud! haha.
My first Jazz band gig is a week from today. I'm just playing electric though... Our funk tune's a bitch though. It's almost all 16ths. I still don't have it as clean as I would like.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
The Chicken, damn that song is annoying me
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

It's awesome, but due to my crap sight reading, I find it hard.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Actually I don't find sight reading the stuff hard. Most of it's pentatonic anyway. Physically executing it is the problem... I'm doing Give it All You Got by Chuck Mangionie.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by FbSa
It was at an old folks home

For my first Jazz Band concert, we played at the IRS Building here in Kansas City.

It was pretty fun going through all the security, and being told that we would be shot if wandered about.

Anyway, have fun in JBand.
This years J-band sucks compared to last years. (Both personality and playing wise) We lost our best drummer (who was also the life of the Jazz band) due to graduation and our best trumpet player and alto sax player went with him. And now we have four drummers! 2 of which suck. And we only picked up one freshman, and 1 Junior. So it's nothing like it was last year. Though I do have my upright bass for swing this year, and an 8-string on the way for Pep stuff. So for my personally goals it's a lot better.