Page 1 of 2
Ok. I'm sorry for this Dumb A** question. What's a Tube amp? What makes it diffrent from a regular amp besides the fact that its got tubes? And should I get one? And is it possibe to buy for under $200? Sorry again. I heard about tube amps i just never had the balls to ask the question. thanks...
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Quote by MetallicGod07
Ok. I'm sorry for this Dumb A** question. What's a Tube amp? What makes it diffrent from a regular amp besides the fact that its got tubes? And should I get one? And is it possibe to buy for under $200? Sorry again. I heard about tube amps i just never had the balls to ask the question. thanks...

Tube amps use tube preamp and poweramps instead if the PCB in solid state, The overdrive tends to be smoother and generally nicer. However in that price range you'll only find 5 watters.
Quote by Horlicks
Tube amps use tube preamp and poweramps instead if the PCB in solid state, The overdrive tends to be smoother and generally nicer. However in that price range you'll only find 5 watters.
only 5 watts.. Well I guess a Tube is out of question. Do you know any good amps with built in effects more that 3?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
only 5 watts.. Well I guess a Tube is out of question. Do you know any good amps with built in effects more that 3?

Another thing about tube amps is that they appear much, much louder than normal amps, a 5 watter will hold its own to that 15 you've got.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
Another thing about tube amps is that they appear much, much louder than normal amps, a 5 watter will hold its own to that 15 you've got.
Really? Hmmmm... Any recommendations on a tube amp thats not an Epi?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
Really? Hmmmm... Any recommendations on a tube amp thats not an Epi?

Haley benton GA5, Peavey Royal 8, Palomino V8. Are you practicing at home?
Well for 5 watters you dont have much of a choice.

Epi Valve Junior
Fender Champion 600
Crate V6 (i think?)

theres also a new Blackheart something or other
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Horlicks

uh, most tube amps are built around a PCB board.....
Quote by Horlicks
Haley benton GA5, Peavey Royal 8, Palomino V8. Are you practicing at home?
Yeah im practising at home. But is it good for playing loud so other people can hear if I'm like playing in a crowd with one of my friends. (that only happens sometimes)
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
hold on! I just remebered how I dont have to pay half for my les Paul this December. Ok I have $600 right now. What kind of tube amp would you recommend?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
hold on! I just remebered how I dont have to pay half for my les Paul this December. Ok I have $600 right now. What kind of tube amp would you recommend?

What do you play?
Quote by Horlicks
What do you play?
Alternative rock. You know like Godsmack thing. And some of Metallica's stuff. I try to get their tone too. sometimes metal.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07

You should be able to get a Peavey Valveking 112 with that.
Quote by MetallicGod07
Alternative rock. You know like Godsmack thing. And some of Metallica's stuff. I try to get their tone too. sometimes metal.

Ashdown fallen angel is all I can think of right now
Quote by Horlicks
Ashdown fallen angel is all I can think of right now
oh wow thats a nice looking amp. I need more options If any one else can help. Budget of $600+. I like the Godsmack and Metallica and some Metal tones.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
oh wow thats a nice looking amp. I need more options If any one else can help. Budget of $600+. I like the Godsmack and Metallica and some Metal tones.

You could probably get a used 5150 if you don't mind having poorer cleans, also the ashdown it a very bassy amp so you might wanna search for sound clips before buying and maybe get a EQ
Quote by Horlicks
You could probably get a used 5150 if you don't mind having poorer cleans, also the ashdown it a very bassy amp so you might wanna search for sound clips before buying and maybe get a EQ
I 'll look up some amps. Thanks for all your help man.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by Horlicks
You could probably get a used 5150 if you don't mind having poorer cleans,

yeah, that's what i'd look at... maybe a peavey xxx combo if you need nicer cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Used Peavey 5150 or 6505 (they're the same thing) would be perfect for you. The clean sounds aren't great but they're perfectly usable.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by MetallicGod07

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Crate Palomino V32 or a Laney.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
are you cereal?
Gear:
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
ESP EC-400
TS-9 DX
Stagg Strat-a-like
MIJ Boss CE-2
Quote by Fired_Scape
are you cereal?
yup. I got the money. Why not? I gotta test it first.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
For the love of God, WHY??!?!

The MG is a TERRIBLE amp, especially one that expensive and big.
Quote by Don_Humpador
For the love of God, WHY??!?!

The MG is a TERRIBLE amp, especially one that expensive and big.
Wait...You saying the amps sucks? Is it a bad half stack?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
Wait...You saying the amps sucks? Is it a bad half stack?

Yes.

For that price you can get a really good tube amp combo, that might not look as flashy as a half stack, or have the Marshall logo on it, but will sound millions of times better at low volumes and billions times better at high volumes.

Tube amps get better the louder and harder they're pushed, solid state amps like the MG get worse the louder they're used.

To avoid humiliation and shame for the rest of your gigging life, don't buy that amp. Go tube. You'll appreciate this forum's advice in years to come, I promise you.
Quote by MetallicGod07

for the love of god no.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Don_Humpador
Yes.

For that price you can get a really good tube amp combo, that might not look as flashy as a half stack, or have the Marshall logo on it, but will sound millions of times better at low volumes and billions times better at high volumes.

Tube amps get better the louder and harder they're pushed, solid state amps like the MG get worse the louder they're used.

To avoid humiliation and shame for the rest of your gigging life, don't buy that amp. Go tube. You'll appreciate this forum's advice in years to come, I promise you.
I'll take your word for it. You sound like an expert. How much expeirence have you had around guitar gear and stuff? I'm not doubting what you know I'm just wondering. OH yeah, what do you feel about Mesa/Boogie amps? I've always wanted one of those.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by Don_Humpador
Yes.

agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i like mesa, but not for UK prices. In the US, they're a more attractive proposition- just be aware that you have many other badass amps than Mesa at the price- budda, vht, soldano, bogner, etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

agreed.
So does that meen I should buy a Mesa/Boogie?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
not necessarily. you should work out how much money you have, and then try everything in that price range, and then some things a bit above, and a bit below, to see if they're worth the price. If at all possible, you want to try them cranked to 10, too- a soundproof booth and earplugs would help, then.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^Are you spoiled as hell, and able to con your parents out of a couple grand?

If not, then no, there are other companies that make good tube amps, even at the $400-$700 range. Crate, Peavy, Fender, Randal, a FEW Marshalls, tc.
Quote by MetallicGod07
I'll take your word for it. You sound like an expert. How much expeirence have you had around guitar gear and stuff? I'm not doubting what you know I'm just wondering. OH yeah, what do you feel about Mesa/Boogie amps? I've always wanted one of those.

I don't have massive experience, but I have enough, and enough common sense, which is sadly lacking in some people who buy solid state amps. For people with more experience, ask Dave_Mc, Slatsmania, Gabel, or just the 'What Amp?' thread.

Mesas are very nice, generally good for medium to high gain sounds, the problem is, I think they're pretty much out of your price range, unless you think about a used F-30 combo, and even then, you might have to get lucky.

Used Fallen Angel or Peavey 5150/6505 (same thing) would be your best bet, IMO. The Valveking isn't that great, again, IMHO.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
^^Are you spoiled as hell, and able to con your parents out of a couple grand?

If not, then no, there are other companies that make good tube amps, even at the $400-$700 range. Crate, Peavy, Fender, Randal, a FEW Marshalls, tc.
No I'm not spoiled and I dont want to be. I'm buying what ever amp is good. I have just a little over $600. So dont think that I'm conning my parents out of their money.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07

haven't tried the roadster, but the roadking is sweet. I'd guess the roadster is pretty nice. But it's pretty expensive- and as I said, there are a lot of other amazing amps at its price range too.

to add to those cheaper ones spinesurfs mentioned, traynor ycv's are pretty nice for around the $600-$800 mark.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haven't tried the roadster, but the roadking is sweet. I'd guess the roadster is pretty nice. But it's pretty expensive- and as I said, there are a lot of other amazing amps at its price range too.

to add to those cheaper ones spinesurfs mentioned, traynor ycv's are pretty nice for around the $600-$800 mark.
I'll just try out some amps at my guitar shop and see what suits me best.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
yep, that's the best way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2