ok i have a vox ad 50 vt, and it's a "tube modeling" amp. and ive had it for a while and have still wondered what tube modeling is. I have some ideas of what they are but im not sure, so can someone just tel me what it is
solidstate pretending to be tube
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by phatsack
solidstate pretending to be tube

wha? pretendin to be a tube, i thought tube meant that u can connect the amps to more, and i thought modeling was effects build it
Quote by pbuddyj
wha? pretendin to be a tube, i thought tube meant that u can connect the amps to more, and i thought modeling was effects build it

Tube means the amp uses vacuum tubes. Solid state means the amp doesn't use vacuum tubes, but transistors. Tube modeling amps are solid state amps that are made to emulate the sound of a tube amp (which is considered superior in the guitar world). These amps sound better than other solid states and are sturdier than tube amps, but can't compete with the sound of a (more expensive) tube amp.
Quote by pbuddyj

i suggest that you read the amps Q and A thread.
it has just power amp tubes i think, at least something like that.

its just a modeling amp with a tube stuck on. it makes not much difference and it´s just a marketing thing!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
tube amps sound different than solid state, and cost more. so company will try to reproduce the sound of a tube amp with solid state so it is more cost effective. this is tube modelling.

but, i think what you are getting at (with your amp) is that it is a tube hybrid (tube preamp, solidstate power amp) that models other amps
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
It refers to an old fashioned way of amplifying a signal with vaccum tubes. Solid state amps use transistors instead. The vox is a hybrid, it has a single tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp. Its designed to emulate the sound of a real all tube amp because most people agree tube powered amps sound much better then SS amps.

Check out this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114
Scroll down and read about valve amps and hybrids.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Last edited by GuitarNinja12 at Nov 10, 2007,