well,here it is,i've played guitar for about 18 months now,and i'm now thinking about learning to play the bass aswell,i've got just under £200,what should i buy ?
My Gear

Epiphone G400 Custom (Tuned to Standard/Drop D)

Dean DFH Baby (Tuned to Drop C)

Epiphone Special II (Tuned to Drop B/Drop A)

Orange Crush 15

Boss MD-2

Ibanez PH-7
if you want to play bass, buy a bass, if you really think you dont want to play bass, dont buy anything and save up for something cool for guitar.
^ yeah,i am,i worded it a bit wrong,lol
My Gear

Orange Crush 15

Boss MD-2

Ibanez PH-7
Standard low end brands that get recommended in pretty much every similar thread are: Squier, Ibanez, Yamaha and Peavey. Try the basses that fit in your price range, and buy whichever you like most.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
thanx for the advice,and yeah the £200 is probs just for the bass and then i'll get an amp for christmas
My Gear

Orange Crush 15

Boss MD-2

Ibanez PH-7
Quote by Brett08
thanx for the advice,and yeah the £200 is probs just for the bass and then i'll get an amp for christmas

I believe Squire Affinity comes into that range. Don't worry about the branding they can get. Play one you self and you can get a bargin. Check for all the usual things in a guitar, but on a bass (harmonic clarity, playability, tone etc) and if they are all fine, they can be great little basses. Of couse, quality control is not great, so don't order online to make sure you don't get one of the reeally bad ones.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
if its just a bass and no amp try...

low end fenders
squiers
corts (great practicing basses)
ibanez
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by gm jack
I believe Squire Affinity comes into that range.

Second hand Mexican Fenders also come into that range. My mantra always is, unless you have a lot of money to blow and have something very specific in mind... go second hand! Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

IMHO RockBass by Warwick have that price range owned. They use the same electronics and pups as Warwicks, and are setup in Germany before exported.

Since you live in Britain check www.gumtree.com and www.basschat.co.uk. I buy/sell/trade most of my gear from these sources.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Second hand Mexican Fenders also come into that range. My mantra always is, unless you have a lot of money to blow and have something very specific in mind... go second hand! Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

IMHO RockBass by Warwick have that price range owned. They use the same electronics and pups as Warwicks, and are setup in Germany before exported.

Since you live in Britain check www.gumtree.com and www.basschat.co.uk. I buy/sell/trade most of my gear from these sources.

Rockbass (well new at any rate) is at least £300. The cheapest Warwicks are in the high £500.

Straight currency conversion doesn't work.

Of cousre, if you can find a good second hand, go for it, but around me, that is near impossible apart from eBay, so it tends to skip my mind as an option.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
thanx for all the advice
My Gear

Orange Crush 15

Boss MD-2

Ibanez PH-7
Quote by Brett08
thanx for all the advice

Squier Jazz, Bartolini pups, active pre-amp, Badass II bridge. £200 in Nottingham
http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8097&hl=squier+jazz

This would be a fantastic bass for a beginner, and it is nearby you.

Quote by gm jack
Rockbass (well new at any rate) is at least £300. The cheapest Warwicks are in the high £500.

Straight currency conversion doesn't work.

I know that straight conversion doesn't work mate.

A second hand RockBass Streamer STD that was priced at £130
http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3677&hl=rockbass

You could even get second hand Warwicks for £250! http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=936&hl=rockbass

If you're on this kind of budget, you're not going to care if it has a knock or two. In fact, I actually prefer it to have some wear. I means I don't feel bad when I make the first dent... lol

Also Reading's not that far from London. Less than 40 minutes on the train, and you could meet in Paddington. See what Gumtree has on offer! http://www.gumtree.com/cgi-bin/list_postings.pl?posting_cat=2495&search_terms=bass+guitar&min_price=&max_price=
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Nov 15, 2007,
thanx for the advice "shut_up_you_***"
My Gear

Orange Crush 15

Boss MD-2

Ibanez PH-7
Last edited by Brett08 at Nov 22, 2007,
Quote by shut_up_you_***

I know that straight conversion doesn't work mate.

Ahh sorry. I forgot you were UK, and assumed new prices.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1