Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to upgrade to an amp that I can play at local venues thats at least 100 watts. I'm only 14 so I'm not going to buy an expensive tube amp. I'm looking at a marshall mg100hdfx head with a crate gs-412s cab for $300 used. I'm also looking at a fender fm212r or a crate Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack. They are all around the same wattage but i'm looking more at the halfstacks because I don't want to be playing at a high school battle of the bands with a little combo when people are coming in with giant stacks. I really want to get the billie joe green day sound and it looks like the marshall is my best bet. What do you think? remember, i'm only 14. i'm not a proffesional with a lot of money to make guitar his living but i still love playing and would like to play a lot of shows during high school.

Also, where is the best place to buy used gear?
First of all... don't get ANY of the amps that you stated....Please?
300 bucks can buy you a used peavey classic 30 or a valveking which is loud enough for gigs. Well, about the other people walking in with stacks, they're probably marshall MG's, which are essentially big practice amps. Walking in with a little combo which sounds leaps and bounds better than their halfstacks is better than stooping down to their level and getting crummy amps with "high" wattage.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Nov 10, 2007,
You don't need a halfstack. No one ever really does.
Get a small valve amp (30-50 watts) and it should be loud enough to cope. In venues where it may be too quiet it will be properly mic'd up so you won't have to worry
ohai little sig.
Number one: Don't get a solid state for playing live. It'll sound junk when you have to crank it.
Number 2: You only need 30 tube watts to play live at most gigs, but if you wind up playing in front of a huge crowd, just mike it!
Sounding better with a good tube amp combo>Looking better with a crummy halfstack

^A valve is the british name for a tube.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
kustom quad100dfx, IMO - best solis state you can get, $380 on zzounds.com
but seriously get a 30 or 50 watt tube, tubes multiply the sound, so(correct me if i'm wrong) a 50 watt tube would be like a 100 watt solid state.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Don't get any big solid state amp for gigs.
Get a good tube amp.
I can't stress this enough.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
whats the name of one in that price range that is good for rock/pop punk/punk music. like a billie joe sound
Local store. Buying a heavy tube amp off of ebay would cost an arm and leg for shipping. Not worth it. Maybe look at your local craigslist, or just go to a local music store.

^I forgot the actual amp model, but some randall tube will do it.
Or if you can find a used peavey valveking, that'd be nice too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by 4seampowerchord
whats the name of one in that price range that is good for rock/pop punk/punk music. like a billie joe sound

Laney VC30 I strongly recommend it
Quote by 4seampowerchord
like i said, i don't have a ton of money for this

Oh right, you live in America, Fender Blues Junior
Quote by 4seampowerchord
what about a marshall avt 150

To be honest you aren't really gonna get anything stand-out but look used you could easily get something good
NO!
All right:
Don't even ask if you should get a solid state halfstack. They are essentially big 100w practice amps, and overpriced. A 50 watt tube combo is louder than a solid state halfstack, not to mention alot better sounding.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i'll look into used tube combos but i don't really know where to look. ebay, craigslist, and thats about it. are there any other sites that sell cheap used gear?
how loud can a little 50 watt peavy valve king really go? it looks so small? Would i be able to gig with it?
Quote by 4seampowerchord
how loud can a little 50 watt peavy valve king really go? it looks so small? Would i be able to gig with it?

50 Watts Tube is about 90-120 Watts solid state. It's more than enough, you should only need about 25 - 35 Watts Tube to gig at small/medium venues, and anything bigger can be mic'ed.
Crank it, stick your face in front of it, and hit a chord. If you only loose your vision and hearing, you're a lucky son of a gun.

A "little" 50 watt Valveking will rip a MG100DFX halfstack to pieces. It will sound better, be louder, last longer, and no one will think you are lacking in the male region. You WILL be able to gig with it. Remember, when you go to a venue and see some band with their halfstacks and **** up on stage, you think "damn, I need that to play on a stage too!" The truth is, their stacks are all on volume .5, and are being miked and amplifed through the PA system of the building/venue, MOST of the time. You can gig with a 5 watt tube combo if you play places with PA's, and arn't insecure.
what types of music will it fit. two of my favorite bands are green day, foo fighters. can i get tones like them out of this amp?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Crank it, stick your face in front of it, and hit a chord. If you only loose your vision and hearing, you're a lucky son of a gun.

A "little" 50 watt Valveking will rip a MG100DFX halfstack to pieces. It will sound better, be louder, last longer, and no one will think you are lacking in the male region. You WILL be able to gig with it. Remember, when you go to a venue and see some band with their halfstacks and **** up on stage, you think "damn, I need that to play on a stage too!" The truth is, their stacks are all on volume .5, and are being miked and amplifed through the PA system of the building/venue, MOST of the time. You can gig with a 5 watt tube combo if you play places with PA's, and arn't insecure.

+1. Don't succumb to peer pressure. That can be dangerous
Quote by 4seampowerchord

I gig with a 30W Peavey Classic 1x12 (superior, IMHO, to the VK). My son played a show at his school's auditorium with a 15W Palomino V16. He sounded great, and didn't even have the thing more than halfway up on the volume.

My sig is just for kids like you. Read it, learn it, live it.

A 30-50W tube combo will sound infinitely better than that piece of garbage MG you're looking at. The 50W Valveking 1x12 will sound louder than the MG, too. Don't get all hung up on looks. I get that a halfstack looks cooler, but that doesn't make it better. In fact, when comparing combos and stacks in the same price range, the combo will be the better amp 99.9% of the time.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by 4seampowerchord
what types of music will it fit. two of my favorite bands are green day, foo fighters. can i get tones like them out of this amp?

Those guys are playing tube amps.

The VK, Classic 30, or Palomino will all handle those bands with ease.

Craig's List, local classifieds, guitar shops, pawn shops, are all good places to look for used gear.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I found some possibilities.
1. Peavey Valveking
2. Vox Valvetronix
3. Randall RG50TC

Which is the best for my style of music?
Remember:
You're 14. You don't have a car. Your parents won't appreciate lugging the 412 around and having it ruin their upholstery. If you're absolutely set on some kind of a head with cab, get a 212.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
I'm not looking at a half stack anymore. I'm looking at 2 tube combos. Peavey Valveking and a Vox Valvetronix. Which one is better for my style of music?
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Nov 10, 2007,
The peavey.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by 4seampowerchord
I'm looking at 2 tube combos. Peavey Valveking and a Vox Valvetronix.

The Valvetronix is a nice amp, but it's not a tube amp. It's a hybrid/modeler.

I'm not a big fan of the VK. I suggest you look for that used Peavey Classic. Otherwise, maybe a Palomino V32.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
not the blues junior as suggested up there somewhere. ^

im going to say a try out randall tube amp $559, something like that.
http://www.music123.com/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481197-i1145530.Music123

barring that, a peavey classic 30. like $600. or used for less.

i dont think u're going to flip for the gain in most of the 15W tube amps.
even tho they are loud enough to gig with at any HS.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well, the valvetronix isn't a true tube amp, it only has one tube and thats in the pre-amp and for the peavey the cleans are good, but you might want to get an od or distortion pedal, cause the overdrive on the vk isn't the best
Page 1 of 2