ok, he seems to subscribe to a strange way of thinking amp wise.

He primarily plays peddle steel with his band, and his amp is a 500 Watt (solid state) PA rackmount with an EQ rackmount, run with an ernie ball volume pedal and a Digitech Rp-7 valve to control the tone/sound of it.

as for speakers he has two 2x12 cabs (he has 2 more but doesnt use them) and runs them in stereo. speakers are 8 ohms and handle about 100Watts. the entire 500 watt pa is for him alone, they use another PA as a PA system.

hes an excellent player, but aren't there much much better amp setups out there? He really seems to dislike tubes, especially british sounding amps (marshall, laney, etc).

not to mention that isnt he losing like 400Watts of volume?

I mean sure, the clean headroom is amazing, and if you pumped it enough to get clippage it would kill small children.

but I seriously don't get his mentality here. Wouldnt it be better to run through a tube amp built for your instrument (and sound better?)

I dunno I wanted your guys opinions on this.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
He probably just likes the tone he gets out of the setup. That's pretty much all that matters. If he's not playing huge venues, then he's fine. Don't diss him cause he's left handed and writes with a feather-pen. :P
i notice if you have a primarily cleanish sound - many many players use SS live, for the headroom and clean SS can be quite a great sound sometimes

like the massively loud old Fender made MusicMan's (J.Winter etc) they had a SS preamp and super loud valve power amp - great amps
I'm not dissing him -- and he plays medium/small venues, and the tone is good.

I'm just wondering if his thoughts made sense/if he could sound even better.

I think hes a great player with lots of experience. As a country artist he almost made it to the top in nashville at one point.

and to some point I agree in that a good SS keyboard amp/PA sounds great with a guitar, if you need distortion add a pedal.

honestly, I was thinking about pulling off a similar setup myself, but I'm also wondering if a tube guitar amp/SS guitar amp would pull off what I need better.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
If he plays pedal steel he doesn't want tube OD messing up the clarity of his instrument.

Do you have a brain?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by trsc
Again, it's about tone. Tube amps have a lot warmer feel (and a lot warmer long ****ing wait time for that warmup). Nevertheless, I still love tubes.

Your right, 30 seconds to a few minutes is a long ****ing time....
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
^ A lot of tube amps take about an hour or so before they're really sounding their best.

Theres nothing wrong with that guys rig if hes playing pedal steel.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
its 30s really, cmon be fair - if your bored go and get a bloody beer, tune up or do something else rather than complain
That's pretty nice for pedal steel. I understand why he uses solid state, he wants the cleanest of cleans.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I use SS-amps, and I've never gotten a tone quite as good from any other guitar amp combination and that includes a lot of tube amps and several with a guitar similiar to my own. It's something I like about the imo perfect clean tone SS amps have, combined with a mahogany guitar and Ce-2 + Cs-2 + J&H pedal.

edit: and I just realised that I have absolutely no idea what the heck pedal steel is, I have my suspicions but please explain?
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
I use SS-amps, and I've never gotten a tone quite as good from any other guitar amp combination and that includes a lot of tube amps and several with a guitar similiar to my own. It's something I like about the imo perfect clean tone SS amps have, combined with a mahogany guitar and Ce-2 + Cs-2 + J&H pedal.

edit: and I just realised that I have absolutely no idea what the heck pedal steel is, I have my suspicions but please explain?

They're the guitars with the pedals. They're used for slide. I'll find a pic.

Here we go:

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Ah yes, those are familiar. Seems quite the versatile guy if you ask me, since he is your guitar teacher and I assume you're not playing this as well? I've never seen a pedal steel guitar around here.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Axeman99
^ A lot of tube amps take about an hour or so before they're really sounding their best.

Theres nothing wrong with that guys rig if hes playing pedal steel.

That statement is completely wrong. It's not going to sound any better just because its been on for longer, it can be quite the opposite actually. The only truth behind leaving a tube amp on longer before playing is when you crank them. If you turn it on, dime the volume and just start playing then there is a good chance something will go wrong eventually if you do this everytime. They need to warm up and adjust to the high voltages. I usually play my amps clean for 5 or so minutes and gradually turn the volume up until i get desired saturation. Leaving an amp on standby for an hour or more will do nothing more than raise the room temperature a few degrees, give a better chance of the thing overheating, and wear out your tubes.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by FretboardToAsh
Ah yes, those are familiar. Seems quite the versatile guy if you ask me, since he is your guitar teacher and I assume you're not playing this as well? I've never seen a pedal steel guitar around here.

oh hell yeah. He can play any string instrument to some extent, and those that he really can't, he can still make 'em sound good. He also is really good at organ/piano, and can has screwed around with many other instruments in his time.

he's not much into theory, nor modern guitar techniques (he didnt know what sweep picking was until I showed him -- Im the only one in town who can sweep pick actually), but he knows theory, and a lot of it, he just keeps telling me that there "is no formula for everything" and that I'm going to have to get experience through action, even if theory helps.

I really am agreeing with him too, the guy almost hit it big as a country musician, he knows what hes talking about

The more I listen to his tone, the more I wanna say screw tubes and go SS. Actually I want to get a SS halfstack of some sort and go from there -- I like the power a high wattage amp gives through a 4x12 cab, as well as the pure cleans and the infinite amount of gain you can pump into a transistor.

I like the freedom and volume control of having SS amps, and after having a tube amp, I am not very satisfied with my tonal range and volume control. I HAVE to have my amp running at certain volume for it to sound good, and I dont like it. And I can't have a bit of OD or heavy balls to the walls distortion, you have to CHOOSE. **** that, I'll go with a SS amp, and a EQ pedal/rackmount over a tube amp any day.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Well, that sounds pretty good for a teacher - and I agree with the formula thing. Don't misunderstand I know my theory but it takes away the spontaneous feel of your playing.

That's also the reason why I've detuned my guitars to different tuning, that'll make me lose track of what I'm doing and makes the ussual patterns of playing wrong. Pretty much tunings like DADGAD and DGDGCD, tunings that sound good without even a left hand.
Good thing I have several guitars, bad thing is that I'm going to need a backup for all of them

Also a funny fact, your change of opinion whithin your first and last(above) post.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by davedoom
like the massively loud old Fender made MusicMan's (J.Winter etc) they had a SS preamp and super loud valve power amp - great amps

They are super loud.

Johnny has awful tone, but all his distortion is power amp. They were created to deliver MASSIVE headroom, because of the EXTREMELY clean SS preamp.

Vox (when they were owned by JMI) made some fantastic SS amps. The Beatles and The Who used them. They also made a hybrid (SS preamp, tube poweramp), which The Beatles used a lot on Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's and White Album.

Albert King used only SS amps and same with BB King. The Roland Jazz Chorus is a wonderful amp and legendary and it's SS.

I sound like I praise SS. I love tube amps, but if you want a very clean sound with a lot of headroom, SS amps are great. If your teacher plays pedal steel I can see why he would like such a clean tone.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009