Ok, ive been having some issues with the tubes in my Fender Blues Deluxe, and i think it may be time to replace them. But i am clueless on what to get, how to go about changing them, pretty much everything. So, UG, what would you suggest? I need 3 preamp tubes and 2 power tubes, and I play blues of many styles. Any help is appriciated.

"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Im not sure about the tubes, maybe try Groove Tubes. But make sure u somehow get ur amp in to a tech to get the tubes re-biased.
thanks for the help. Yea ill deffinently take it in to a shop to get it re-biased, and for more info, i currently have 2 GT6L6s in the power amp and 12AX7s in the preamp
gone." - J.Lansdowne
How do you know there are problems with the tubes? What kind of problems are you having? How old are the tubes/amp?
Quote by Zawa122188
metz has it right man

Member of CRM (Classic Rock Movement)
PM ZeppelinFan3890 for info or to join

+ =

Member of the UG Conservative Party. PM cagnius to join.
As far as what tubes to get, it really depends on the sound you want. If you were happy with the sound you had, Groove Tubes are what come stock in Fenders. But, IMO, there's always room for improvement.

What I always recommend to people is contact Doug at Doug's Tubes. I ordered a full set from him for my Boogie. After I made payment, I had my tubes in 2 days (Christmas Eve). He carries all sorts of brands and really knows his stuff. Good prices, too. Shoot him an email, tell him what you're looking for tone-wise, and he'll give you some options. www.dougstubes.com

For reference, I'm running a set of Ruby 6L6 tubes, 2 Tung Sol 12AX7, a JJ ECC83, a Sovtek 12AX7, and a Sovtek phase inverter. The cleans from this set up are really warm and lively, and the crunch is pretty good (I told him I wanted to emphasize cleans). Next time I'll probably get a set of Winged =C= SEDs instead of the Rubies and get a full set of Tung Sol 12AX7 tubes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
As far as what tubes to get, it really depends on the sound you want. If you were happy with the sound you had, Groove Tubes are what come stock in Fenders. But, IMO, there's always room for improvement.

What I always recommend to people is contact Doug at Doug's Tubes. I ordered a full set from him for my Boogie. After I made payment, I had my tubes in 2 days (Christmas Eve). He carries all sorts of brands and really knows his stuff. Good prices, too. Shoot him an email, tell him what you're looking for tone-wise, and he'll give you some options. www.dougstubes.com

For reference, I'm running a set of Ruby 6L6 tubes, 2 Tung Sol 12AX7, a JJ ECC83, a Sovtek 12AX7, and a Sovtek phase inverter. The cleans from this set up are really warm and lively, and the crunch is pretty good (I told him I wanted to emphasize cleans). Next time I'll probably get a set of Winged =C= SEDs instead of the Rubies and get a full set of Tung Sol 12AX7 tubes.

Ok sounds good, thanks for the help.

Yea, im pretty sure its the tubes. When i get past about 4 on the volume it starts to kind of buzz and whistle on certain frets only, like in the middle range of the guitar, frets 5-12 on the d and g strings. so im pretty certain its the tubes. Also, when it turns up loud the distortion isnt smooth and sweet like ive heard about. It gets really nasty and harsh sounding, nothing like when i run with my TS9 on lower volumes. any help?
gone." - J.Lansdowne
for 12AX7s, Tungsol 12AX7s are to me, the clearest, chimiest affordable tubes around.

dunno much bout 6L6s though. i have EL84s in mine.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yea ive heard about the tungsols, ill look into those
gone." - J.Lansdowne