I've been playing on and off for four years. Never really serious about playing before now. I can play a lot of punk perfectly, that's why I never bothered to advance. However, now I don't really have any desire to play or listen to punk music for that matter.

So the case with solos: I can memorize solos. But really, I can't play them naturally. Thus, it sounds robotic, I'd love to be able to improvise more/invent my own, and I can't even vary the solo I have learned that much without getting lost.

Should I learn and memorize scales first? If so, which?

Or should I just learn more solos until playing them is natural.

In general, I desire to become a more advanced guitar player. I can already do power and regular/minor chords very well, but that can only do so much. Thanks.

All suggestions are welcome.
for scales;
Major, minor, pentatonic, pentatonic minor
if you're playing metal;
Harmonic minor, Diminished, Locrian mode
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
i suggest start learning basic major and minor scales and start practice soloing over blues stuff. that'll make soloing come more naturally.
Minor blues serves me well, oh so very well.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
sometimes even with all scales you get too tight and robotic still

try to play anything you want, add notes, dont be scared, theres noone criticizing your songs yet =P

just let loose, "learn the rules, then forget about them" =)
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Learn some Jazz or flamenco stuff.

That will tottaly give you loads of extra skills

I did that , and boy my improvisation skills sure got boosted.
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Nov 10, 2007,
PM me, and we shall discuss it.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Check out the Very Beginning lesson on this site, its very helpful-essential-to learn about intervals before learning scales. When you do get into scales, try not to just play up and down throught them, innovation is where true creativity comes from. Learn what chords go over the scale, learn how to phrase your playing over them and such. Analyzing other musicians solos doesn't hurt either
no, scales are not pointless if you get used to improvisation. That's what gives life to it, a scale by itself is nothing. Adding your style, your tone to it makes you try different things and advance
this is so common now a days, people learn punk and they think wow this is the top of the guitar world and than they hear yngwie or metallica even and get blown away.

first start learning chords and get used to their sounds, i don't mean 5ths, i mean like proper chords and get familiar with their sounds. than learn key signitures, than start learning the minor and major scales and pentatonic scales and thanstart tinkering with phrasing over simple progressions. the best way to get ideas for solos is to learn solos of your heroes and than use their ideas in your solos,n ot copy but use and modify.

but i think it is important you learn chords and their sounds cause it'll give you a feel for what to do. also start music theory leassons if you havn't already
well, in the last few months i've learned all of the major chords. i just realized, if i were to become familiar with every note on the guitar, i could achieve anything. however, i'm not yet. so that's why i decided to start with simple scales. but really, im taking everything into account now that has been posted.

any other suggestions, go ahead. i think i'm going to pretty much re-learn guitar from here, and in a few weeks i should be further than i am now.
Quote by APimpNamedSlick
i just realized, if i were to become familiar with every note on the guitar, i could achieve anything.

I noble goal, but maybe pointless (and I'm not really sure what it even means).
The relationship between notes is a lot more important and that can be generalized
to any note given a context.

Anyway, the right track is to focus on understanding the major scale which starts
with learning the fingering positions. Fortunately on guitar, doing 1 key makes all
other keys pretty easy. After that, learn triads from every scale note position.
That will reinforce being able to see the scale over the fretboard and get you hearing
the harmony of the major scale as you do it.

That'll take a while just for that, but will put you in good shape to move on.
being familiar with every note is worthwhile - I think he just means the instant note-name association with any part of the board that's so important for sight-reading effectively.
Yeah, very worthwhile for sight reading, but "achieving anything"? Ha. Anyway,
I'd still go with note relationships as being more important. That's theory. Note
names is very useful for reading music, but you can be the best sight reader in the
world and still not understand a lick of what you're playing/reading.
Make sure you know your theory. You have to know your root, third, and fifth of every chord. Know your intervals. Figure out some arpeggios: diminished, major, minor, DOESN'T MATTER! Just learn some arpeggios. SWEEP PICKING! Know all seven modes.

1.Ionian
2.Dorian
3.Phyrigian (can't spell I'm retarded)
4.Lydian
5.Mixolydian (Dominant)
6.Natural Minor
7.Locrian.

I wouldn't hurt to learn your whole tone, diminished, melodic minor, and harmonic minor scales. You should know the Circle of 5ths. Find out how to construct six, seven, nine, eleven, and thirteen chords. I could go on forever. JUST LEARN THEORY
! It will open up so many doors for you.

-Mark
Haha, yeah, my controversial comment really isn't to be taken literally.

Well, I will learn theory, definetely.

As of now, I'm just going to learn the basic scales (I already knew penatonic and a few others, but didn't know their names). Then, learn to apply them? I don't know, it's just an attempt to be more familiar with everything. So I'm pretty much floundering, but I don't mind starting from the beginning. I have all the time in the world.
Quote by APimpNamedSlick
I have all the time in the world.

That's the perfect attitude. When you can give up your attachment to results,
you have patience and, ironically get a ton of results.

I'd suggest learning the major scale in 3 note per string fingerings (there's 7
positions). Initially more to memorize and the fingering takes getting used to,
but it will repay you many times over in its regular patterns and reducing a lot
of other memorization.
The way I see it is that all the licks and shapes in the world that you burn into your muscle memory don't mean jack until you quickly and decisively know which note to start them on.

Once you have both, you can achieve fluency.
very very good point on the endings - I'm still trying to train my mind to think ahead enough to use those downbeats to logically land my lines on.

I still advocate being intimate with the notes on your board. Makes it easier to work with other musicians.
Work backwards from the strong beats on 1 and 3.

For eigth notes start with 1 note: 1 3 1 3......
2 notes: & 1 & 3 & 1 .....
3 notes: 4 & 1 2 & 3 4 & 1 ....
4 notes: & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 .....

16th notes you can start on the 1st weak up:

ee-and-ah-1 ee-and-ah-2 .....

Other notes the same, then mix them up.

I should do that more myself, but there's so much other stuff to do.