I have several guitars with actual Seymour Duncans and several with Duncan Design pups is there a huge difference between the 2 Duncan pups? My Duncan Design equipped guitars sound pretty good but I was wondering if the pups are considered decent. I know the there are big differences between a OFR and LFR and then it depends on what manufacture makes them because there are better and worse LFR depending on who's making them. Is this the case with Duncan Design pups does it depend on who's guitar it's in?

John
well aparently (i stress the aparent) duncan designed are just as good as real duncans, just they're made in japan or watever, but i personally woudln't buy a guitar with designed because it could be a big turnoff if you wanna sell later, and would you prefer saying ya i got duncan designs, or ya my pimpin guitar has duncans
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I find that Duncan Designed pickups sound noticeably worse than real Duncans. They form a good alternative to a brand's own cheap stock pickups, but are in no way a worthy replacement of the real thing.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Duncan designed pickups are not like LFR's, in the way that they're all made by the same people. Duncan designed pickups are the same ones, regardless of what company uses them. Whereas with floyds, there are a whole bunch of companies making them, some better than others.
they are made to seymours specs but not with his high grade of materials, i find they sound a tad muddier, they arent horrible but they arent going to give you a spectacular sound either
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by ChaoticVengence
well aparently (i stress the aparent) duncan designed are just as good as real duncans, just they're made in japan or watever, but i personally woudln't buy a guitar with designed because it could be a big turnoff if you wanna sell later, and would you prefer saying ya i got duncan designs, or ya my pimpin guitar has duncans

That would be China, not Japan.

Also, why would they be a turn off when selling it later. They're just as much a turn off when you're buying it in the first place (if you consider them a turn off at all, that is) and besides, most people buying a guitar don't really know the difference that well.

Hanging around UG a lot makes it hard to forget that there is a huge part of the guitar playing world that never visits the Electric Guitar forum to become enlightened.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Thanks guys. It sounds like Seymour Duncan is a little more worried about thier reputation when licensing it's name and overseeing the manufacturing of the pups is part of prtecting thier name, unlike FR. So far the guitars I have with Duncan Design pups are original not that they are ever going to be collectable but I would keep the original DD pups if I was to upgrade. I don't see as long as they were original effecting the price later on.

I have no complaints about the pups they seem to preform well. I also have no clue what actual Seymour Duncans they are supposed to represent though if they are supposed to be equal to real Duncans.

I have seen some DDs pop up on Ebay now and then pretty cheap and I was thinking of buying some for some upgrades on my lower end guitars rather than put a set of pups that are worth more than the actual guitar.

When I posted this I wasn't even sure if these pups had any ties to each other.

John