Hey, I was considering this guitar as a replacement for my learner's budget, and I was wondering, what is the general opinion of it? Is it worth the price? How is the workmans ship? etc

Thanks.

-Ren
A Fender Jazz is one of the most versatile basses around, just don't plan on taking off the pickguard because it's got nasty routing underneath.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
They work for anything. From Funk to Jazz to Rock to Metal. I use mine to play metal. The only thing I changed was the pickups for some Qaurter Pounders and now it's perfect.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
the Fender Jazz, MIA, Deluxe, Hwy 1, Geddy Lee, MIJ, standard MIM, Squier VM, take your pick.
there all worth the money, and all worth owning. two thumbs up!
and yes, the standard MIA, is worth the extra money.
It will say on the head stock. "Made in _________ "
For in these moments

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by InvaderRen
How do i know if its MIA or MIM? its the ~450$ one

the $450 is the MIM(made in mexico).
the MIA(made in usa), starts around $1,100.
the MIA Deluxe starts around $1300.
the Hwy 1(MIA), is about $800
the Geddy(MIJ, made in japan) is about$800
and the Squire Vintage Modified(made in korea, i think) are $300.
are there any negatives to this bass?

also, is there the option to play the pickups paralell/series?
Quote by InvaderRen
are there any negatives to this bass?

also, is there the option to play the pickups paralell/series?

There are really, honestly, almost no negatives to a good jazz bass.

They can do almost anything.
The.
is there a reason why i see ppl put copper shielding around the pickup wells?
Quote by InvaderRen
is there a reason why i see ppl put copper shielding around the pickup wells?

extra shielding is used to lessen, or eliminate buzz that is created by electrical currents, produced by near by equipment, like amps. i have never had to modify my shielding, but many do.
the MIA's are the only models that offer a series/paralell switch(S-1).
the only negative is check over the instrument carefully, before you purchase. with production instruments, bad things get by, sometimes. like sharp frets, bad glue joints, stripped nuts, and missing parts. some are just built better than others, so be aware.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Nov 11, 2007,
Thanks 83. I was thinking about buying it online, but it would make sense to go over it in person. Hopefully Ill have enough money when i go back to NY for winter break. How is guitar center or sam ash for this kind of stuff? or should i go to my local guitar store?
This is making me want one. Are they difficult to find in lefty?
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Nope. I own one in lefty. Quite the bass.
For in these moments

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by sinan90
A Fender Jazz is one of the most versatile basses around, just don't plan on taking off the pickguard because it's got nasty routing underneath.

Yes, but it will come in handy if you ever wanted to but a P-Pup in the neck position.
cool, I didn't know Saskatoon had that kind of selection. (btw I'm in Calgary )
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I love my (Mexi-)Jazz to death, but there are a few problems with it. However, they're easily remedied.

For one, it's a good idea to slap a new bridge on it, whether you get an American or Mexican made bass. A Badass II works nicely and greatly improves sound and sustain.

Another thing is the pickups. While they sound nice and warm and you can get a good range of tone out of them, unless both are rolled all the way up, you may have to deal with some hum/buzz. This can be fixed by (among other things) replacing them with hum-canceling pickups. However, I don't have a huge problem with it and have played with the same stock pickups for about four years now.

In all, the Fender Jazz is a great bass either for beginners or advanced musicians. It's a "jack of all trades" bass that excels in some areas more than others, but is still a well-rounded instrument no matter what your style.
I'm getting a Squier VM Jazz- prefered it to a Mexican Standard.

In short:

MIA > CIJ > Squier VM > MIM > Squier Standard > Squier Affinity
cool, I didn't know Saskatoon had that kind of selection. (btw I'm in Calgary)

There is a Long & McQuade and a Mother's Music. MOther's music is more oriented to metal which is awesome but the staff there are all a bunch of assholes.

Don't mean to Hijack the thread but any idea how I can get a BadAss II bridge?
For in these moments

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by bassburton
Don't mean to Hijack the thread but any idea how I can get a BadAss II bridge?

You can either order one from places like Musician's Friend or through a place like Guitar Center. If there's not a Guitar Center around you, the other music shops would probably be able to order one for you. It's best to have a luthier install it because the saddles come unfiled, but it's definitely worth it.
Quote by Yawsbass
I love my (Mexi-)Jazz to death, but there are a few problems with it. However, they're easily remedied.

For one, it's a good idea to slap a new bridge on it, whether you get an American or Mexican made bass. A Badass II works nicely and greatly improves sound and sustain.

Another thing is the pickups. While they sound nice and warm and you can get a good range of tone out of them, unless both are rolled all the way up, you may have to deal with some hum/buzz. This can be fixed by (among other things) replacing them with hum-canceling pickups. However, I don't have a huge problem with it and have played with the same stock pickups for about four years now.

In all, the Fender Jazz is a great bass either for beginners or advanced musicians. It's a "jack of all trades" bass that excels in some areas more than others, but is still a well-rounded instrument no matter what your style.

I got myself a mexi jazz and i have fallen "arse-over-tit" for it, i must have tried 100's of basses untill i found the mexi-jazz, and even preferred it to the american models

i found that with ALOT of the USA jazz basses, you get that stupid "S1 switch" which just gives you that extra bit of low (but if you turn it off it, the bass sounds flat...plus it adds on to the price of the bass)

the mex does fine without.

I purchased it for £540 reduced from £699 (around $1080 from $1398)

the only problem i had with it was the neck was slightly warped. 10 mins to fix and its never happened since.
*1962 Fender MIM Jazz Bass (re-issue) with added pickup and bridge covers

*Hipshot D-tuner

*1970's-80's Carlsbro Cobra 90 Bass Amp

*Mini-Q-Tron electro-harmonix envelope filter