I've been playing for about 6 months now and my instructor says I'm moving along pretty fast. I bought a pack and the guitar is decent and amp is decent except its distortion channel isn't very good... at all. So my question is, when should someone who's new to guitar but learning quickly upgrade his/her equipment?
When you feel ready.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
did you buy a squier pack?
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Upgrade when you feel like your equipment is holding you back in some way (and when you can afford to!). If you're happy with what you've got, don't buy new stuff for the sake of it.

Mind you, if you want to play in a band or jam regularly you'll need better kit a little more urgently...
i bought a new guitar when mine wouldnt say intune for long...then again when i wanted some humbuckers ( i hate single coils) and as far as amps i bought a half stack after playing in a band for a while...once we got beyond the practice in the basement only stage
if you've only been playing 6 months, don't go buying any new gear yet.
wait a while, master your current guitar, then buy a new one when you have a good idea of what would make it better fit your playing style.

edit: an amp upgrade would be in order if you plan on playing live. if all you want is some new tones to play with, invest in some pedals. i would say go for a mid-priced multi-fx pedal with amp modelling.
Last edited by Gribbet at Nov 11, 2007,
If your distortion isn't working for you, there are a couple of things you can do without breaking the bank.
First, you can buy a Boss Metal Zone pedal (or any distortion pedal that you can afford) and use it through the clean channel. That's what a lot of people do when their amps distortion channel sux eggs.
Second, you can get an overdrive pedal (such as the Boss SD-1) and run it between your guitar and distortion channel on your amp. The overdrive will boost your guitar pickup signal significantly, and it will sound better through the distortion channel.
Some players also will get an amp with 10-inch speakers rather than the standard 12-inch...which theorizes that the distortion is much tighter and crisper through a smaller speaker. Joe Satriani plays through 10-inch speakers all the time.
These are just a few things worth a try which would probably make for better distortion.
Good luck!

"My best songs come from making a lot of mistakes and playing a lot of garbage." - Eric Johnson ...
Last edited by easyJ at Nov 11, 2007,
when you feel like it and have the money
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

I've been playing for 4 months and i bought a squier pack.

about 3 months after playing I got a micro cube (I was able to play comfortably numb by then)

in about a month I'm getting a new guitar (I can play most of eruption, the tapping and super fast picking part is hella easy)

why? because my squier's action is messed up and the frets are too high. the action gets higher as I move up the fretboard, it messes up my playing.

Get new gear when you're better and your equipment hinders your playing in some way.
squier strats aren't always bad guitars. My girlfriend's dad put a humbucker on the bridge of his and lowered the action and we play it just as much as any other guitar up there. This may not sound like much other than the fact there's easily 10,000 dollars worth of guitars in the garage we play in (including american strats, a couple les pauls telecasters so on and so forth) but they can be great work-horse guitars man. I wouldn't be willing to give up on the guitar so soon.

However the amp, as stated above might need an upgrade if you wanna play louder. Tube amps are always hella fun anyway if you're just looking for some gear to buy.
Quote by easyJ
If your distortion isn't working for you, there are a couple of things you can do without breaking the bank.
First, you can buy a Boss Metal Zone pedal (or any distortion pedal that you can afford) and use it through the clean channel. That's what a lot of people do when their amps distortion channel sux eggs.
Second, you can get an overdrive pedal (such as the Boss SD-1) and run it between your guitar and distortion channel on your amp. The overdrive will boost your guitar pickup signal significantly, and it will sound better through the distortion channel.
Some players also will get an amp with 10-inch speakers rather than the standard 12-inch...which theorizes that the distortion is much tighter and crisper through a smaller speaker. Joe Satriani plays through 10-inch speakers all the time.
These are just a few things worth a try which would probably make for better distortion.
Good luck!

"My best songs come from making a lot of mistakes and playing a lot of garbage." - Eric Johnson ...

Metal Zone is rubbish and overdrive pedals don't sound so good through solid state distortion.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
I don't use the Metal Zone, never have...but it seems to work fine for a lot of folks. I guess that's why it's the best selling distortion pedal ever made.... especially since not everyone can afford a nice tube amp.
And as far as the OD pedal goes, it works fine through my solid state distortion. But then again, I have active EMG pickups. So it's just a matter of personal preference since not everyone is going for the same sound.
Last edited by easyJ at Nov 11, 2007,