Vibrato is where you make a ton of quick bends, and put the bend back to it's normal pitch. Gives the notes a more vocal quality.
Quote by J.A.M
Vibrato is where you make a ton of quick bends, and put the bend back to it's normal pitch. Gives the notes a more vocal quality.

No offense but I just don't like that definition.....A ton of quick bends would make a very wide vibrato.....A comparison I prefer is a bend is moving the string up to down to raise the pitch, vibrato is a very tight wiggling movement to produce a more vocal sound...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
vibrato moves the note in and out of tune slightly very smoothly where a bend moves up notes to create a scooping effect, or grace note effect between notes
^^^ There you go. Well put.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Biker's definition is pretty much spot on, but uses technical vocabulary like 'grace note' which you probably don't know if you don't know what vibrato is!

Very simply, vibrato sounds like the note is 'trembling'. The pitch varies slightly back and forth in a pulsating sort of way.

This is guitar vibrato (bluesy technique): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KMrR_LqrOE
This is vocal vibrato (notice her jaw moving back and forth exaggeratedly to change the pitch?! :p ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoEil40qZA

Geddit?

A bend on the other hand means moving from one note to another by changing the tension in the string.

String bending basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prhi5FgScEM
Usually in tabs, it'll show a bend like this:

7b9

Where the 7th fret is the one that you're bending and you're bending up so it sounds like the 9th fret. These numbers won't always be the ones in the tab, obviously, but it's an example.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by crazlunatic
how do you know which way to bend when reading tabs?

If I'm reading your question right, it depends on how far you need to bend the note. For example, if you're on the b-string and bending several notes, it's more practical to bend towards the low E than the high E.
Quote by crazlunatic
how do you know which way to bend when reading tabs?

I guess you mean bending up or down?

They both produce the same sound... it raises the note. So you can bend which ever way is comfortable, however, if bending it makes the strings go off the fretboard, then you need to bend the other way (for example, bending the low e or the high e)
you get best results if you bend the three thickest strings by pulling them down and the rest by pushing them up
Quote by psyks
Vibrato = wahawahawahawaha
Bend = wahaaaaeeeeeeee

I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.