I'm currently learning to play lead, what are some good songs for lead? I'll learn Slither when I get Contraband next week, but it'll take a ton of practice(the hardest thing I can play is Stairway) and I'll learn the SCOM solo after that(I'm currently learning the rest of the song, its easy, with the exception of the solo).
The bands I play are GNR, Velvet Revolver(I don't have contraband though), Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP, and lots of similar bands. And also, is this how I should learn to improvise: Learn/write licks, learn what notes are in what key, and learn scales? What else should I do? Thanks.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

start out with some hendrix and led zep solos then move on to more melodic stuff. check out the book the art of rock guitar by richard daniels at www.heavyguitar.com it has alot of good imfo!
All Along the Watchtower is my fave Hendrix song, I would kill to be able to play it on a 6 string(I've seen a vid of him playing it on a normal 6 string, but all of the tabs say you need a 12 string.). And thanks!
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
All Along the Watchtower is my fave Hendrix song, I would kill to be able to play it on a 6 string(I've seen a vid of him playing it on a normal 6 string, but all of the tabs say you need a 12 string.). And thanks!

The rhythym guitar is a 12 string acoustic, played by Brian Jones I believe. When played live, hendrix just played both rhythym and lead on his strat, cause he was that good.

On the topic of your question, the most important scales to leard are the major and minor pentatonics, and the modes of the major scale. There are places all over the internet to find this stuff.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by muffinman123192
She Builds Quick Machines solo, VR.

+1^

anything by vr tends to be not too hard and sounds pretty rad
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by SG Man Forever
The rhythym guitar is a 12 string acoustic, played by Brian Jones I believe. When played live, hendrix just played both rhythym and lead on his strat, cause he was that good.

On the topic of your question, the most important scales to leard are the major and minor pentatonics, and the modes of the major scale. There are places all over the internet to find this stuff.

So is there a lead tab for a 6 string anywhere for that song anywhere? If you could find me one, or just tell me where to find one, you would be the #1 person on this site. And I already know both pentonic scales, and I can play the modes but I still need to learn their names.
And also, Fall to Pieces and She Builds Quick Machines are also things I'll probably learn.
Quote by darkstar2466

keep practising your scales until you can do em in your sleep in any key. start messing around with different modes if you want. then just fudge around going up and down the scales until you play something that sounds cool then try to figure out what you did and keep adding to it. so eventually you will be able to just jam with a friend playing chords if you know what key he is in.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
When lead "started comin'" to me I would have a friend play 3-chord R&R or 12-bar blues and I'd attempt lead. It's easier sometimes to hum what you want first then find it on the neck. ANYONE can learn scales but your lead needs to "SAY SOMETHING" - a great take-off and a great landing too - otherwise it's just mindless noise (what us old cats call shredding)... lead comes from the soul. When it starts to come you'll be amazed at what might come out of your fingers. I doubt I ever played the same lead twice - except for some old cover songs... I've heard recordings I did and thought "Where did that come from..." I also had friends tell me "Do that again" and I couldn't remember what I did cause I was off in LEAD-LAND when I did it.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!