I have a Fender starter package called the Starcaster. I went cheap just to see if I liked playing guitar enough to stick with it. I do and now I would like to get a better guitar and amp.

Is there any difference between the Stratocaster Standard and the Stratocaster HSS, other then the humbucker? I'm talking about the $399 models. I think I want the humbucker version since I am interested in playing rock.

The Line-6 Spider III 75 for $299 seems like a good bang for the buck. Any comments or recommendations on this?

So I'm trying to convince the wife I need to spend $700.

Thanks
i would get the hss it sounds exatley the same on all the sigle coils but has a meatier sound when yu siwch to the bucker

god my spelling sucks
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Quote by Don223
I have a Fender starter package called the Starcaster. I went cheap just to see if I liked playing guitar enough to stick with it. I do and now I would like to get a better guitar and amp.

Is there any difference between the Stratocaster Standard and the Stratocaster HSS, other then the humbucker? I'm talking about the $399 models. I think I want the humbucker version since I am interested in playing rock.

The Line-6 Spider III 75 for $299 seems like a good bang for the buck. Any comments or recommendations on this?

So I'm trying to convince the wife I need to spend $700.

Thanks

For the amp, I'd advice you to go for something like a Roland Cube 30 or a Vox, since these are much nicer than the Line 6.

As for the strats, yes, they're both Mexican strats, only one is equipped with a humbucker.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
i don't think there is any difference between the HSS and SSS stratocasters you are talking about other than the humbucker. I can't give you any advice about the spider though because i've never played through one.
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
dont get the spyder i would suggest a small vox
and if you havnt played a guitar with 'buckers in it id get the hss cause you might like humbuckers more then SC.
Do not buy the Spider III, instead buy a Vox Valentrox for $250 which sounds alot better. As for the stratocaster, its all on everyones opinion, but basically for a standard strat you get that twangy bridge sound you get from a single coil bridge pup, and for the HSS you get a humbucker sound from the brdige. It sounds basic, but its pretty much true.
go with an Vox. Much more natural sounding than a Spider or a Roland Cube. U do want the Humbucher version of the Strat, But make sure u get the tone controls wired up to the neck single and humbucker, not the neck single and middle single. A humbucker with no tone control is gonna be too bright.
Is the wiring of the tone controls something you order it with (factory option) or just something I can do to mod it?

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
a humbucker with no tone control will probably be fine... you can mod it yourself pretty easily if you know how to solder though.

what type of rock do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a humbucker with no tone control will probably be fine... you can mod it yourself pretty easily if you know how to solder though.

what type of rock do you play?

The PGM301 for example is HSH with no tone control, yet the guitar is still very versatile.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
^ yeah. i couldn't remember if I'd tried a guitar with a hum with no tone control, but I have tried that one- the richie sambora kramer is another.

Should be fine.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?