So, yeah. I just ordered the wood for my first guitar build (mahogany for the neck and the body and ebenholtz for the fret board). What I am currently thinking about are the pickups and the bridge (I want a floyd rose, you see). I know I want EMG's, but I don't know which ones. I want a real heavy, bassy one for the bridge position and something a bit more mellow for the neck.

And about the floyd; what's a reasonably cheap (yet very functional) tremolo?
well, depends on much you call "reasonably cheap (yet very functional) tremolo" you can get an original floyd for about $180(usd's) or you can get a Gotoh which run about $100(don't know much about them, i think carvin uses them? not sure)
Quote by Ghold125
well, depends on much you call "reasonably cheap (yet very functional) tremolo" you can get an original floyd for about $180(usd's) or you can get a Gotoh which run about $100(don't know much about them, i think carvin uses them? not sure)

Keep in mind everything costs a hell of a lot more here in Sweden.

And my kid brother recently got an Alexi Laiho 600 LTD guitar, is that an original floyd? It's really nice regardless, so if it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to get something of the same quality that'd be awesome.
Carvin uses the OFR.
Schallers (which are better in some people's opinion) is cheaper the the OFR by about $10 at most places. And the GFS liscensed FR is 80ish I believe, thats about $100 less then the OFR and its good quality, but its only single locking. I havn't heard about any issues with it though so I'll be getting one for my next build most likely.

Note: All prices USD
Definitely go for the '81 in the Bridge, '81 in the bridge is just... classic and amazing. The '89 is an alternative to the '85. Their almost exactly the same, but you can switch the '89 into Single coil mode, in which only one of the coils is active, so you can get a creat clean sound.

Yes.
Last edited by SamZee at Nov 11, 2007,