Someone please help, my 5150 is acting weird. It's the 1991 head. It'll be fine, the tubes glow, it plays fine and then like after half an hour the volume will just drop to like nothing. It did it when I first got it (second hand off ebay) but that was years ago, but stopped. But it's doing it again. It doesn't do it all the time either.

Anyone got any ideas?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Consult a doctor quick, your baby may have the measles!

Gotta love taking things too literally
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Nov 10, 2007,
i think you should change the tubes because like you said, the volume drops after playing for half an hour, so i would get the tubes changed but it is better to get it checked anyways because there is no need to waste unnecessary money on tubes if it wont fix the problem
How long as it been since the tubes were changed? It could simply be a tube problem, but i certainly am not one to diagnose problems with tube amps. A tech is usually your best bet when all else fails.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yea I probably should have mentioned that it's been a pretty long time since the tubes were changed. I don't really know much about changing them so I never have.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Right, if it is tube replacement. Anyone got any recommendations as to what I should get?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Check out the tube sticky at the top of the Guitar Gear & Accessories page for info on various tubes.
also might be worth checking out your input jacks...if they're dirty, loose or becoming disconnected that would result in the problem you're having.
get some JJ's if you play heavier stuff, which if you have a 5150 you probably do
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I'm fairly (99%) sure that's your power tubes dying as that's a common thing when that happens, and is exactly what happend to mine when its tubes died.

For tubes, right now in mine I have a set of JJ Hi-Gains, it actually cleans up the rhythm channel a bit which is nice. Otherwise I'd recommend JJs in the poweramp and Tung-Sols in the preamp as that's my favorite combo in any amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com