Hi folks, I recently bought a jackson DKMG with active EMGS, I upgraded my guitar instead of my amp. I am playing the DKMG through my Fender frontman 15g that came with my starter pack and it sounds horrible. The distortion is really really muddy, it sounds really bad. Would it be better if i play it through a distortion pedal ( Boss MT-2 for example) or am I better off upgrading my amp? I am not looking to spend more than $200-250 USD
I say upgrade the amp....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Upgrading your amp, i had the same amp as you, and the distortion would not get better with anything.
well if you're not willing to spend that much then just buy a pedal. A line-6 uber metal gives great Mesa rectifier-ish distortion, or maybe a multi-FX pedal.
if you're not going to spend more than $200, you're not going to get more than an extremely mediocre distortion, though upgrading your amp would be the thing to do. Look at a Roland Cube 30X or a Vox Valvetronix XL.
Amp. Epi VJ stack. OIr maybe a 5w Crate tube, the Palomino V8, i think theyre both under $250.
always amp before guitar. always always always.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Quote by qotsa1998
Amp. Epi VJ stack. OIr maybe a 5w Crate tube, the Palomino V8, i think theyre both under $250.

The dude's playing a Jackson with active EMG's. He's most likely not going to be playing 60-80's era buttrock.

Look into a Cube 30X, you won't be disappointed.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
a ibanez valbee would be the right thing for you it's an incredible high gain all tube 5w amp
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by Ishiga
The dude's playing a Jackson with active EMG's. He's most likely not going to be playing 60-80's era buttrock.

Yup, I play mostly metal. Ill look into the 30x but I can't seem to find any local retailers that carries Rolands.
Quote by Ishiga

Yeah. Look into a Vox Valvetronix, Cube 30X, or perhaps a used Spider III.
Quote by CJRocker
Yeah. Look into a Vox Valvetronix, Cube 30X, or perhaps a used Spider III.

No, not A spider!
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by qotsa1998

That'll give him some good metal tones for sure

He doesn't seem to have the money for another pedal, so I'd say a Vox AD30VT or Roland Cube 30
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
the frontman has very buzzy & thin distortion. if you're not looking to spend over $200-250 for an upgrade id say save that cash and buy a small all tube amp

if you must have better distortion though, the metalcore is meh. id say skip it and go for something else like a landmine ld1
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by samerika
No, not A spider!

Give me a break They are versatile, and good sounding practice amps for those that have patience with them. They are a bit over priced, but hence I said used. TS, yeah, one of those is good.
a small tube amp ain't gonna do metal - go solid state (I use Roland for my metal stuff) and maybe a multi-effects pedal. I love my tube amps for everything else but for inexpensive METAL - SOLID STATE is the best high-gain sound you're gonna get. All tube for Metal is high-end stuff costing lots of $$$$. I use a Zoom G2 and an old 50-watt Roland with the Zoom on either the Rectifier or 5150 setings...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by jacks0nFTW
One of these? 30w is way more than enough for me. I live with a roomate and i don;t gig.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/msg/473931540.html
he is local too

meh, you'd probably need a pedal to get a pretty good metal sound out of that. Look for a Valvetronix XL (they're relatively new, I think, so I wouldn't bother checking craigslist) or a Cube 30 X.
i'd probably get a roland cube 30 for what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by strangedogs
a small tube amp ain't gonna do metal - go solid state (I use Roland for my metal stuff) and maybe a multi-effects pedal. I love my tube amps for everything else but for inexpensive METAL - SOLID STATE is the best high-gain sound you're gonna get. All tube for Metal is high-end stuff costing lots of $$$$. I use a Zoom G2 and an old 50-watt Roland with the Zoom on either the Rectifier or 5150 setings...

a heavily modded epi vj /w an od to boost can do metal, as i have seen it

but then again thats a lot more work than just purchasing an ss
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I have 3 tube amps - all are Vintage 60's (5-watt and 2 15-watters). I have an OD pedal and a tubescreamer (and a few others) - I owned a Valve Junior head that was modded - (gain, brite and standby mods) for about 3 days and got rid of it (not enough tone for my tastes and my older ones sounded much better anyways)... I still say SS is better for metal. I LOVE MY TUBE AMPS for classic rock, blues, etc. but when I WANNA DO CLUTCH - it's Roland and DIGITAL distortion pedals or M.E. pedals for me. Now if I had a 100-watt Mesa, KRANK, ENGL or Boutique that would be a different story
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I went ahead of bought a 15w Valvetronic XL. I LOVE IT!! Thanks guys, really nice crunch on black setting.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
if you're not going to spend more than $200, you're not going to get more than an extremely mediocre distortion, though upgrading your amp would be the thing to do. Look at a Roland Cube 30X or a Vox Valvetronix XL.

dont upgrade to transistor (cube) or halftube (valvetronix).
Go with the real deal. Tube combo!
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by jacks0nFTW
$200-250 USD

Roland Cube 30X hands down.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Peavey Transtube series, Cube. I do like the 5 watt combos, but I don't play modern metal.
Active EMGs? I'd say you're pretty much screwed for anything less than an actual medium-sized gig-wrothy stack. Seriously. I've yet to come across any small/home-sized amp that sounds good with active pickups.
Buttrock? Whatchoo talkin bout?
Anyways... roland cube I guess. But I don't know how good EMG's will sound with solid state.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Your problem is simple .... active EMG's plus a crappy solid state amp. Actives are designed to push a tube amp into overdrive earlier, crap solid state amps don't react the same way. If you give them too hot an input signal it can simply overload things and give you nothing but clipping and general crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
amp
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by steven seagull
Your problem is simple .... active EMG's plus a crappy solid state amp. Actives are designed to push a tube amp into overdrive earlier, crap solid state amps don't react the same way. If you give them too hot an input signal it can simply overload things and give you nothing but clipping and general crap.

+1

I find that active EMGs often sound worse though a solid state amp than crappy OEM stock pickups.

Return the guitar and buy a good amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by steven seagull

toshay, i missed that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by the boogieman
a heavily modded epi vj /w an od to boost can do metal, as i have seen it

but then again thats a lot more work than just purchasing an ss

Sound better, though!

TS, Roland Cube is probably your best bet. But you won't really get to use the EMG's until you have a 5150 or JCM to play on