I started to teach myself guitar from books a few weeks ago, up to now i have gone through basic strumming patterns and basic songs and also purchased a scales book for begginers.

Heres where it got messy for me the first book i bought showed the minor pentatonic scale and how to move it into different keys fine i got that, then it showed a minor scale in its five position (so each scale has 5 positions fair enough) i went through playing these but it didnt show how to move the major and minor positions into differnt keys so i bought another book. This book shows scales in tab form but they only go over a couple of strings instead of all of them like in my first book.

so my question is which way should i learn? and why are there so many different variations of the same scale? how can one have 8 nots and another version have more. im getting confused so if anyone can give me any help i would really really appreciate it. thank you
Quote by k100danny
I started to teach myself guitar from books a few weeks ago, up to now i have gone through basic strumming patterns and basic songs and also purchased a scales book for begginers.

Heres where it got messy for me the first book i bought showed the minor pentatonic scale and how to move it into different keys fine i got that, then it showed a minor scale in its five position (so each scale has 5 positions fair enough) i went through playing these but it didnt show how to move the major and minor positions into differnt keys so i bought another book. This book shows scales in tab form but they only go over a couple of strings instead of all of them like in my first book.

so my question is which way should i learn? and why are there so many different variations of the same scale? how can one have 8 nots and another version have more. im getting confused so if anyone can give me any help i would really really appreciate it. thank you

basically the more notes of the scale the more octaves covered
so a scale can be made longer? ive looked it up and apparently the first book i got shows the cage system or something. it also show some modes with loads of notes but in my new book they only have 8 aswell.
hate to belittle your plans of practice, but i find that at this point, if you practice by learning songs slightly above your ability is more fun than scale practice. of course, its a perfect if at this stage you spend an hour and a half a day at least, on practicing songs you like and half an hour practicing scales and scale patterns.
i suggest you stick to the major scale and its modes, phrygian, ionian, aeolian and mixolydian, and the harmonic minor scale, and the pentatonic scale and the pentatonic blues scale.
hmm.. yeah thats about it
I would say that if you have just started learning, then stick to songs. There is nothing worse than losing interest in guitar because you don't like scales.

You will definitely need to learn them soon, but for now, I think it's best for you to focus on songs you like. This will develop a general understanding of the guitar, and then when you start practicing scales, you will be more successful.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler