Does anyone know of any places where I can order basically all of the parts I require to build a guitar within Australia? The only place I currently know of is Ormsby Guitars.

Thanks.
sorry man i dont know but id like too but Ormsby is pretty good
I am me. Live with it.
eBay is your friend! You can find heaps of new parts and used, prettymuch everything you would need
www.luthiersupplies.com.au
www.guitaraust.com.au
www.gilet.com.au

These guys are cheaper than me. But, i sell different products... the same brands i use for myself in the customs i build... I dont sell any of the cheaper hardware or the plantation woods. For a first guitar, its sometimes better to just use the cheaper gear... although the better brands can be re-used when you've build an awesome guitar.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
http://www.stairwaytokevin.com.au/
http://www.pure-tone.com/

I've dealt with them both, STK is a bit slower with shipping parts out but has a wider range of products.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by ormsby guitars
www.luthiersupplies.com.au
www.guitaraust.com.au
www.gilet.com.au

These guys are cheaper than me. But, i sell different products... the same brands i use for myself in the customs i build... I dont sell any of the cheaper hardware or the plantation woods. For a first guitar, its sometimes better to just use the cheaper gear... although the better brands can be re-used when you've build an awesome guitar.

i was about to order from u but when i added up the stuff i needed and compared the prices, dude u gota get in the competition.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
i was about to order from u but when i added up the stuff i needed and compared the prices, dude u gota get in the competition.
That's definitely good business advice.

"dude u gota get in the competition"
Thanks. I think Ormsby Guitars that you have the biggest range and more of the products that I'm after. I'm actually awaiting a reply from you to an email.
Quote by macaroni

Mate, i dont sell cheap parts. Simple as that. Im not interested in selling cheap parts, id rather sell top shelf stuff. If that means some other business sells 10-100 times more than me, thats cool, im a guitar maker, not a hobby guitar supplier. The only reason i STILL have parts listed on the website, is because we havent finished the new site. When thats done, you wont see parts listed at all, as they are not something i really want to sell.... which is the reason i posted up three alternative business for you to buy from

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by Sanctuarythrash
Thanks. I think Ormsby Guitars that you have the biggest range and more of the products that I'm after. I'm actually awaiting a reply from you to an email.

Mate, i dont have any unread messages in my inbox, can you send it again?

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Mate, i dont sell cheap parts. Simple as that. Im not interested in selling cheap parts, id rather sell top shelf stuff. If that means some other business sells 10-100 times more than me, thats cool, im a guitar maker, not a hobby guitar supplier. The only reason i STILL have parts listed on the website, is because we havent finished the new site. When thats done, you wont see parts listed at all, as they are not something i really want to sell.... which is the reason i posted up three alternative business for you to buy from

ye im just saying i can get the same parts for a few bucks cheaper at other places but if ur not a supplier then that explains it. Ur a godlike guitar builder and u should stay a guitar builder.

Love that 7 string baritone x shaped guitar man. my absolute fav from all ur builds here on ug. the shark is awesome too
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
ye im just saying i can get the same parts for a few bucks cheaper at other places but if ur not a supplier then that explains it. Ur a godlike guitar builder and u should stay a guitar builder.

Love that 7 string baritone x shaped guitar man. my absolute fav from all ur builds here on ug. the shark is awesome too

Yeah, back when i started out, i was offering parts etc as i do now. There was myself doing electric stuff, and Gilet doing acoustic gear. We were the only two, and we both did alright out of it... it wouldnt give us a living, but it was a nice addition bit of money on top of the guitar building. Then a few years ago some other guys (some who have never even built a guitar from what im told, not that it really matters) started doing much cheaper parts. Thats cool. Ive kept my prices up, to allow for quality parts and wood (more than half the wood i get i dont consider good enough to use for guitars), and allow time on the phone to help people. Of course, you cant get personal building advice over an online automated ordering system, so i had that edge on the 'competition'. I thought about getting competitive with the prices, but whats it going to achieve? I lower the prices, so then does the competition, then i lower again, and they follow. Its jsut a never ending cycle until no-one makes any money and we all stop doing it.
I'd much rather just build guitars than talk about it, especially when someone wants to price match over a few dollars... know what i mean? So thats why i havent pushed that side of the business, and will be closing it down to online sales altogether soon (except for a few certain product lines that arent available elsewhere). Id rather leave that stuff for others to do. In the end, im now spending less than a quarter of the same amount of time each month (compared to answering parts emails), doing the articles for the Aust Guitar magazines, which in the long run is much more benefitual for myself (five pages per issue about my guitars = lots of exposure).
I will still do the sales through the shop, but i dont want to do it online and 'compete' for the lower profit sector of the market. Afterall, im not really known ever going to be well known for supplying parts, but i have clients all around the world who are buying guitars. And that is really what i want... to be building, not packaging up stuff into boxes all day... I'd get a job at a supermarket if thats what i liked For the record, the guitar making courses will probably stop too. Its just another one of those things that is taking up building time. Id love to be able to keep doing them, but i cant keep up with the orders i already have, so i need to look for things to 'cut out' to regain time.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Yeah, back when i started out, i was offering parts etc as i do now. There was myself doing electric stuff, and Gilet doing acoustic gear. We were the only two, and we both did alright out of it... it wouldnt give us a living, but it was a nice addition bit of money on top of the guitar building. Then a few years ago some other guys (some who have never even built a guitar from what im told, not that it really matters) started doing much cheaper parts. Thats cool. Ive kept my prices up, to allow for quality parts and wood (more than half the wood i get i dont consider good enough to use for guitars), and allow time on the phone to help people. Of course, you cant get personal building advice over an online automated ordering system, so i had that edge on the 'competition'. I thought about getting competitive with the prices, but whats it going to achieve? I lower the prices, so then does the competition, then i lower again, and they follow. Its jsut a never ending cycle until no-one makes any money and we all stop doing it.
I'd much rather just build guitars than talk about it, especially when someone wants to price match over a few dollars... know what i mean? So thats why i havent pushed that side of the business, and will be closing it down to online sales altogether soon (except for a few certain product lines that arent available elsewhere). Id rather leave that stuff for others to do. In the end, im now spending less than a quarter of the same amount of time each month (compared to answering parts emails), doing the articles for the Aust Guitar magazines, which in the long run is much more benefitual for myself (five pages per issue about my guitars = lots of exposure).
I will still do the sales through the shop, but i dont want to do it online and 'compete' for the lower profit sector of the market. Afterall, im not really known ever going to be well known for supplying parts, but i have clients all around the world who are buying guitars. And that is really what i want... to be building, not packaging up stuff into boxes all day... I'd get a job at a supermarket if thats what i liked For the record, the guitar making courses will probably stop too. Its just another one of those things that is taking up building time. Id love to be able to keep doing them, but i cant keep up with the orders i already have, so i need to look for things to 'cut out' to regain time.

ah i see.... i never knew u had courses, if i lived in perth and u weren't gona stop running them, i'd definately take courses with u.

oh and i need some advice on necks. You know how fretboards usually arrive pretty thick when u order them? how do u get it thinner? i was thinking planing it down with a shooting plane or block plane but still not sure.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
If they are arriving too thick, maybe you are ordering from the wrong supplier? Should be 6-7mm. Its near impossible to hold a fretboard and plane it by hand to cut it thinner.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
If they are arriving too thick, maybe you are ordering from the wrong supplier? Should be 6-7mm. Its near impossible to hold a fretboard and plane it by hand to cut it thinner.

ye it is 7mm but on my guitars their around 4 mm thick, is it cos its been radiused?

sorry for stealing ur thread sanctuarydeath, i just noticed lol
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Last edited by macaroni at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by ormsby guitars
4mm on the edge sounds a bit closer to being right.

ye 4mm on the edge. its because of the radius right?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer