What type of pedals/amp/guitar/pups would i need?

I might make a cover band to stuff like metallica/ozzy/megadeth/ect and im jsut wondering since in a few weeks i will have a crapload of money to spend. I need some pedals, since I got the amp down, and maybe wondering if my guitar (ESP F-250, EMG HZs) isn't good enough.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
I would advise something like a Duncan JB in the bridge. Likewise, you want a amp thats a bit above midgain, but not quite high gain, like a JCM900 pushed with an OD pedal. EQ settins vary greatly, but mids are import. The kind of sound you're looking for is also fairly dry, with minimal reverb and presence.
80's = Chorus
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
For hair metal, 95% of your tone comes from your hair.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39

Gimme your 5150 and everything will be fine.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
for me, I think it would be EMGS + Marshal Amps
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

"Arguing online is like racing in the Special Olympics- Even if
you win you're still retarded."

"You cant spell crap without rap"
First off don't make a cover band,To me cover bands are just talentless copies of bands that they are copying and I never take them serious,Make your own band not a cover band.If I was you I owuld look up a Dean razorback,Dean Dave Mustaine,or something out of the Randy R series ,I would pick something that I a tube amp like a roland,or fender or such.Effects..um...I go with a BOSS effects board.
my friend has a RR3 i guess if i made a band and made a few covers, since me and him make music, it would work out.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Ok i dont agree with most things said here. To get a true 80s sound you need an Alder, Basswood or Poplar superstrat with a Floyd Rose trem and a bridge JB humbucker (although you could also go with EMG 81 or Dimarzio Distortion.) Run it through a Overdrive pedal like a Boss Super Overdrive (the new MXR ZW overdrive works great too) then run it through a delay pedal and reverb pedal into a Marshall JCM 800.

Theres your sound right there.

Now that I think about it a Les Paul could potentially work as well but it depends on the sound that you want
Dude cover bands are a waste of time. If you make your own band you will get more respect and it is a much better feeling when you write your own song then to cover another bands song.
Quote by lespaulrocks39

Nah man, its 80%. Theres a variable tone improvement ranging between 0-15% depending on how tight your pants are. The other 5% is dependent on your BAC.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
Nah man, its 80%. Theres a variable tone improvement ranging between 0-15% depending on how tight your pants are. The other 5% is dependent on your BAC.

But wearing makeup brightens up your tone a bit, and doing a line of cocaine through a 32 foot straw helps tuning stability.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Nah man, the heroin just makes your chorus impossible to turn off for a few hours.

The makeup does brighten up the tone, but it's offset by all the black hair dye
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Hezix
Dude cover bands are a waste of time. If you make your own band you will get more respect and it is a much better feeling when you write your own song then to cover another bands song.

Cover bands are not a waste of time.

Many people who form a band that want to write their own material never make it to their first gig.

Why? Because writing your own, strong, material is harder than it may seem.

The advantage of being in a coverband is that it adds songs to your musical vocabulary, you have solid material to work with which is easily rehearsed at home and it can help landing you certain gigs.

Writing your own material can be a next step, but starting out with covers is a great way to get to know your band mates musically and to start gigging whithin a reasonable amount of time.

Also, as for the 1980's sound: modded Marshalls or other high gain amps, high output humbuckers and brightly coloured spandex.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Alder Superstrat or a Les Paul, with a DiMazrio distortion in the bridge, run into a Tubescreamer set to boost lots of level but not gain, into a hot-rodded JCM800 derivative, like a Laney GH50L or a Peavey Windsor, or maybe even just a modded 800.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Would a JCM2000 DSL with an overdrive do it if your on a budget?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by greg232
KRAMERKRAMER

Charvel/Jackson is just if not moreso 80s then Kramer. I would not recommend a JCM2000 though as suggested, as I find them a bit too modern voiced for 80s metal.
Get that 5150/6505. Distortion channel, set pre-gain to 4-5, mid and treble to 10, presence to 10. Enjoy.

Edit: How far up your bass and resonance is will be determine whether you sound like Megadeth or Motley Crue. Turn down the mids and highs for Metallica.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Last edited by Missingno476 at Nov 11, 2007,
That's a very broad spectrum there. First off, Metallica has their mids scooped. Second, Randy Rhoads generally had more mids (he used vintage amps/speakers). Third, Megadeth tends to have a more trebly sound. I think you need to settle on one of the three.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by trsc
Metallica uses ESP, so..

80s metal = jackson imo

ESP is for more modern stuff

amp wise i'd have a look at a marshall jcm 2000

and for pedals and stuff, maybe just a wah and use the amp for the gain
Top lel.
It's hard to find them, and they are expensive, but for 80's style stuff, the Marshall JCM 800 is the ultimate amp.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!