I'm a self-taught guitarist and I've been playing for a number of years but the other day I was straightening my guitar neck when I thouhht about action and pickup height etc. All I know is that basically I want my neck straight, my action as low as possible before I start getting dead-notes and that the higher you have the bridge pickup, the better the pick squels. Whether this is true or not I don't know but I'm just wondering if I've got it right or if there are particular things that people do to find all the right settings on their guitars.

Thanks.
set up is a fickle thing. the thing i've found works best is to adjust the strings with an allen wrench to get the string as low as possible without getting dead notes, then start doing bends, because strings will "fret out" or die if the action's too low and you bend too far. so bend as far as you would in normal playing and raise the action till the note rings clear.

for neck curve, i say no curve to a VERY slight convex (meaning middle of the neck is going out from you while playing)
Quote by TheRollingStone
for neck curve, i say no curve to a VERY slight convex (meaning middle of the neck is going out from you while playing)

Why do you say that? I always did think that it was best for the neck to be perfectly straight but a slight convex seems as though it would counter-act you action set-up by creating more dead-notes. Anyway, would anyone know anything about pick-up heights?

Thanks.