Hi, I'm a newb and I'm wondering how you get those sort of 'evil sounding' solos you find in metal if you know what I mean. Eg. the fermented offal discharge solo http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=nKx5sJd7Ksk
I'm just curious so could someone explain? Would it be some kind of sweeping progression or something?
Harmonic minor scale
Phrygian scale
Minor scale
Diminished scale
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
minor scales, duh
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Necrophagist uses a ton of deminished, but that solo is very melodic. I heard it a long time ago and I still think it's one of the best solo's I've heard. After six years of playing guitar.
Right thanks I'll make sure to look into those scales. And yeah that solo has to be one of my favs too, it never gets old.
Diminished scales produce a good "evil" sound. Ive never actually used that scale, but ive heard it can be a bit hard to use it properly.
Been away, am back
the diminished scale and locrian mode both are used for evil sounding solos because both allow for an augmented fourth/diminished fifth which is called satan's interval because the two notes when sounded one after the other sound evil. slayer uses it a lot
Quote by trsc
Necrophagist uses a ton of deminished, but that solo is very melodic. I heard it a long time ago and I still think it's one of the best solo's I've heard. After six years of playing guitar.

if you find that solo to be melodic, you have a very gross sense of melody.
Quote by pfizer
Okay then, let's say I've got enough food to feed Yngwie Malmsteen for a day (about 6 months for regular people).
Quote by PurpleSpark73

It's VERY melodic. In a very classical way.

Sure not in a Beach Boys kind of way.
Quote by Tallman
It's VERY melodic. In a very classical way.

Sure not in a Beach Boys kind of way.

Yes, how evil the Beach Boys guitar solos sound....:P:
Melodic is a very relative kind of term. This is why music is so good and varied.

Use harmonies with two guitars on the Locrian.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Quote by PurpleSpark73

As death metal solos go, that is extremely melodic, try listening to the solos in something like Cannibal Corpse then you'll see what melody really, really isn't.

Edit: example. There's a short solo near the end but it shows just exactly what a lack of melody really sounds like.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by jpgilbert701
Harmonic minor scale
Phrygian scale
Minor scale
Diminished scale

at the same time?
hehe
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As death metal solos go, that is extremely melodic, try listening to the solos in something like Cannibal Corpse then you'll see what melody really, really isn't.

Edit: example. There's a short solo near the end but it shows just exactly what a lack of melody really sounds like.

I hate cannibal corpse's vocals.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by jpgilbert701
I hate cannibal corpse's vocals.

Awww, cute. Seriously, so what? This is a thread about guitar solos and sounding evil, no one said anything about vocals.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by PurpleSpark73

How's that solo NOT melodic...