Page 1 of 2
are there any bands that combine those two?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Atheist, Cynic...
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Ephel Duath, To-Mera, Virulence, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects etc.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Jazz Thrash Asassin
are a local band ive never seen them live but apparently they are good. I found out about them after we were walking around and he was waiting by a lamp post which he thought was a bus stop. We showed him where the bus stop was!
chris poland (former lead guitarist of megadeth) is a jazz fusion guitar player. he has some great solos though i don't know if you'd call them jazz.
Yeah, go to the rec thread next time.

Atheist, Cynic, Ephel Duath, Spiral Architect, Twisted Into Form, Gorod... That's all I can think of right now.

EDIT: Also, Hieronymus Bosch, Alarum, and Virulence.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by guitgrinder
Ummm... early Megadeth. Opeth. Almost all technical death metal.

What, what, and what?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by Ozzy87_2
Reverend Bizarre. In small doses with their last album.

lol, not really

And Opeth has a bit of Jazz influence, but only as a general influence. Eg: Blackwater Park has some chords/song structures that echo jazz.

But the actual combination, that would be Atheist, Cynic, Spiral Architect etc.. in other words what's been said already

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Instrumetal
What, what, and what?

Well, I'm not too sure about Megadeth, but Opeth has some jazz influence. Some tech death bands do, but not many...
Of course as others said, atheist. Theres another band that has some jazz influence and metal influence... but i dare not speak there name here....
First thing that came to mind...

atheistcynicephelduathunexpectpsyopusbeholdthearctopusmeshuggahpandachickenwowihaveginandcokeyaaaaay

But I'll split up my train of thought for you.

Atheist, Cynic, Ephel Duath, uneXpecT, PsyOpus, Behold... The Arctopus, Meshuggah.... and the rest is just my head rambling about panda's, chickens and the fact I have gin and coke.
Quote by gsr2k6
Of course as others said, atheist. Theres another band that has some jazz influence and metal influence... but i dare not speak there name here....

I'm curious now cos I'm not sure what it is....couldn't you just whisper it really quietly?
Quote by Miasma909
I'm curious now cos I'm not sure what it is....couldn't you just whisper it really quietly?

I'd presume he's referring to Dillinger Escape Plan.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
ones that come to mind are Wayd, Aghora, Ephel Duath, Atheist, Virulence, Cynic, and Pavor has some elements,
They're called The Dillinger Escape Plan, and yes, Virginia, they will **** you up.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by Guitarislife125
How could I forget Aghora, bah, they are AMAZING!

particularly while Sean Malone was in the band i think they declined after he left
Quote by Devin2112
particularly while Sean Malone was in the band i think they declined after he left

Ya, I prefer the orignal line-up a little more. The earlier stuff really had the Hindu theme down as well. The new album was a little more shred based and the earlier was really progressive with the way they mixed a lot of aspects in their music.
how has no one mentioned BTBAM yet?

for those who don't know, BTBAM=between the buried and me
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Gordian Knot maybe? They're not overly metuhl but ehhh....they've got Cynic members in there so...yar.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
how has no one mentioned BTBAM yet?

for those who don't know, BTBAM=between the buried and me

Not metal.

And I wouldn't completely say Gordian Knot is metal. A lot of people consider them to be though but the majority of their songs aren't imo.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Sleep Terror and Sleep Terror.

They are pure 'wow'.
Quote by JvL
mister skolnick does...

Alex Skolnick Trio

Hell yeah! The 'Electric Eye' cover is incredible
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Yeah it is !!!!

And don't say he can't play metal by watching the electric eye... I mean... then just listen to "the Testament" (it's a band for those who fail in life...)
There's not much I can recommend after this lot but i would to put emphasis upon "Behold...The Arctopus" and "Aghora"

Quote by Devin2112

The self-titled was brilliant, it had way more complex bass lines and drumming, but Formless is still awesome, and Moksha has a killer solo

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Ephel Duath, To-Mera, Virulence, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects etc.

Kudos!

Painting by Virulence is simply mind-blowing.

Secrets of the Unknown is the only Thordendal song I've heard, but it's fantastic

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile
Meshuggah have some holdsworth feel to it, Spastic Ink definetly and to the one who said Megadeth and Opeth, are you def?
Page 1 of 2