Page 1 of 2
Ive had a couple PMs asking me to post up this one, because i havent posted any builds for a while...

Laminated flame maple neck with Ebony veneer pinstripes

Paua Abalone shark inlays in Ebony fretboard

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
One piece Brazilian (Honduras) Mahogany body

Quilt Maple top being glued

Body chambered and cut to size

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Back of top being carved (to match the front of the top being carved later)

Vacuum press used to glue down top. I think its 1.5 tonne of pressure per guitar.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Rough carve completed.

Final carve completed. You'll notice a hole in the top, used to guage the thickness of the top where i reverse carved it before

Pickup and neck routs

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
i saw this on the project guitar homepage.
absolutly stunning guitar, and amazing builder.
i love that shark F hole.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
thanks guys!!

A few coats of clear seal the body, and when its nice and flat i sunburst on tinted candies to get the colour.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Amazing.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.

back of the neck (playing area) is satin.

Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge, Jazz in the neck. 500k pots, Hovland capacitor, Switchcraft jack and switch. Tonepros AVT-II bridge, bone nut, and Grover locking machineheads. Side dots are Chinese Torquiose and the fretwire is medium nickel silver.

I originally started this guitar back in 2004. It was always going to be for me, and to be used as a demo guitar. Because it wasnt for a client, it got put on the back burner for a while as i was just too busy. I signed on to show some gear at the Guitar Heroes: Guitar Fest in Sydney and decided maybe i should get this one done. Apart from the rough shape of the neck, and the inlays, everything was done over a period five weeks before the show (along with another six guitars, three which didnt make it in time). I finished the guitar at 5:45pm the day before we flew out, and a client talked me into selling him the guitar an hour before we left for the airport
So, yet again, my plans to build a guitar so I can keep it for myself were foiled Oh well, i'll just build another
I still took the guitar to Sydney, and the guys from Australian Guitar magazine managed to play it (and a few others) with the view of doing some reviews in the magazine over the coming months.
The guy who bought this one (Toby) is leaving for the USA today, so im going around to 'borrow' it back for the next 8 weeks. Its booked in to be recorded with a certain Aussie artist for their new single (bluesy style, lots of hot guitar licks) that should see lots of radio airplay... cant wait.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
well i just came 4 times
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Perry, nice to see some more of your work up here. I absolutely love the finish, one of my favourites I've seen you done.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I think I just shit my pants.

I love the way the blue and green quilt looks like ocean water, matching the shark theme. That's an absolutely beauty of a guitar.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I remember voting for this for GOTM on Project Guitar, congrats man, beautiful guitar
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
may i ask how much you sold this baby for?
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Thanks guys!!

Quote by garrett7
may i ask how much you sold this baby for?

Sure, It sold for the same price as if someone had ordered it as a custom order. With all the options, it came to $3800 Aussie dollars. The guy who bought it has put his PRS Modern Eagle up for sale, and ordered two more customs... one an explorer in black Limba with a solid rosewood neck and a cocobolo top, and a quilted spalted maple over mahogany SS. I dont normally have guitars for sale because everything is made to order, but ive just had some of my earlier work come back as trade-ins on new customs. Its been cool to replay some of those guitars. Some of those guitars will be getting used tonight at a local gig, before being offered for sale (although it looks like they have all been sold already)

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
sweet, nice work you do!
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
I always look forward to seeing Ormsby builds... This one is beautiful just like the others.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

That's actually a great price for a custom build guitar. If I had the money, I'd buy one from you - go Australians!
All your guitars are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen, but this one takes the cake..

If I ever have a couple spare grand laying around I might just contact you.
(don't count on that though )
Its been a while since I have been here, so when I saw that you had built a new guitar Perry, I had to check it out. Now please dont take this wrong, I typically love your work, and this is no exception. I appreciate the artistic value of the shark f-hole. But I must say, it looks a little weird. I guess its cause I have never seen one like that. It is amazing however that you got such an accurate cut out like that. But I absolutely love the inlays and the color. The guitar is amazing as is pretty mush everything that I have seen roll out of your shop. As unusual as the f-hole is, I love it. Great job!!
That is beautiful.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Thanks guys!!

Quote by LuthierofTexas
Its been a while since I have been here, so when I saw that you had built a new guitar Perry, I had to check it out. Now please dont take this wrong, I typically love your work, and this is no exception. I appreciate the artistic value of the shark f-hole. But I must say, it looks a little weird. I guess its cause I have never seen one like that. It is amazing however that you got such an accurate cut out like that. But I absolutely love the inlays and the color. The guitar is amazing as is pretty mush everything that I have seen roll out of your shop. As unusual as the f-hole is, I love it. Great job!!

Yeah i had to let the guitar sit for a while with the shark drawn on there to know it was the right thing to do. I wasnt convinced at first, but literally everyone who saw it being built when they can into the workshop, fell in love with the idea. Im glad i went with it now.

Quote by ErosThanatos
I think some abalone in the f-hole would look cool. Too late now i suppose.

A lot of people thing this is abalone in there (its newspaper with lacquer on it):

Quote by thedonutman
Does a veneer wood in the neck(like on yours and on Ibanez Prestiges) affect the stability? Or is it purely for looks.

A laminated neck is always going to be stronger than the original wood it was cut from. EG: if you had a single piece of wood, it has a certain strength. By cutting that timber into 3/5/whatever, and regluing it, it becomes stronger. This is why you see laminated beams in house construction, its stronger than the original wood. Its not the fact there is glue there making it strong (eg: the glue itself), its the fact that the pieces of timber cant bend as easily as they could as a single piece.
Adding veneer in between the laminations is purely for show. It doesnt make the neck any weaker, but the pieces are too small to really have any effect on strength (its the laminations which do that).

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Pretty much one of the nicest guitars ever! The inlays and f hole really make it something special.

How does it sound acoustic?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah dude, awesome guitar!!
I was just wondering if you had anymore pictures of the yellow colour guitar you built for the Australian guitar magazine article?
I love that guitar..
Quote by Moe.
Yeah dude, awesome guitar!!
I was just wondering if you had anymore pictures of the yellow colour guitar you built for the Australian guitar magazine article?
I love that guitar..

heaps of photos on the website

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Page 1 of 2