My guitar at the moment is a Faded Les Paul Special and my amp is a 30 watt Spider III. I've been playing for 8 months and am really getting into playing and everything (today, I even attempted recording one of the songs I've been playing... yeah, didn't turn out so well, but whatever). The music I've been listening to and am also getting into is heavy metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, etc.). Eventually, I am going to need to upgrade. When I do, it will be a guitar/amp that is more suited to metal that my current setup. But what is really bugging me is the Spider. I like the distortion turned up a bit, and when I put it on the Insane setting, my ears proceed to bleed because of an extremely high pitched squeal that shoots out of the thing. Not of my own doing, mind you, but it's the amp itself. The master volume is tricky to control also... I was thinking a Jackson RR24 Rhoads would be nice, and the price, while a bit high, is still pretty low.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-RR24-Randy-Rhoads-Snow-White-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs-512578-i1275084.gc

As far as the amp is concerned, I don't know where to go with that. Could you guys give me some suggestions as to what to get? Thanks.
I'd have to say go into ESP or Jackson for metal. Some EMG's or Seymour duncans in it.
yes, being a spider owner myself, i hate that too. but i've learned a bit, and changing the EQ a bit, and buying pedals and not using the onboard dist. helps.

seriously... spiders aren't horrible, but they're not amazing. I've owned one for about 8 months now so before all your experts come to rape this comment, shut it. yes, it isn't ZOMG GREAT sound, but if you actually EQ it, and get a descent guitar, it's ok for metal, but not gigging, oh god no. just practice. That's where marshall and other good amps come in.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Ok, the Roland looks pretty nice. However, I don't have the means to fund this purchase right now, so I am going to get a Krank Distorus Maximus pedal in the meantime, and I could see it coming in handy. Is the Krank a good pedal?
Quote by Someone18
Ok, the Roland looks pretty nice. However, I don't have the means to fund this purchase right now, so I am going to get a Krank Distorus Maximus pedal in the meantime, and I could see it coming in handy. Is the Krank a good pedal?

Look for the Sansamp GT-2
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Last edited by mothership at Nov 10, 2007,
IMO i still dont get this whole line 6 is bad stuff... i played through one of the line6 valve amps yesterday and it was alright, good not great, but good...
^That was valve spider right? The spider 3 sucks ass...trust me
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Everybody I've asked said that Spider + pedal = very bad idea.

Just keep saving up until you can buy a Roland Cube 30x or a Vox AD30VT-XL.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Spider doesn't work well with anything at all...i guess its okay for recording though.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Quote by phenom1991
Spider doesn't work well with anything at all...i guess its okay for recording though.

Actually I probably should have mentioned that too. No, it isn't good for anything. Not even recording. I hate mine like Lindsay Lohan hates food.
Do you have a set budget or are you open to any price suggestions? You should consider spending more on the amp, since that is going to affect your sound more than anything.
Quote by mafropetee

Yeah to the Roland Cube, Nay to the Vox XL. Honestly, my Spider 3 on a clean channel using a Metal Master pedal has a much better sound than the native XL distortions. So if your funds are tight, a pedal like a Metal Muff will improve your sound, you can upgrade to a tube amp in the future and you might still have use for your pedal.
Quote by mafropetee

I have a Spider III 75 watt that I hooked up to a Boss MT-2. Bad idea. Sounded horrible. It has better crunch without the pedal.
Maybe you can consider something from the Line 6 POD family. But you'll have to line out to a PA or headphones though. This way you dont annoy your neighbors, and can get a host of amp models (but they don't really sound exactly like the originals though). I normally use the Mesa Boogie rectifier model to play metal tunes.
Quote by rhettro
Yeah to the Roland Cube, Nay to the Vox XL. Honestly, my Spider 3 on a clean channel using a Metal Master pedal has a much better sound than the native XL distortions. So if your funds are tight, a pedal like a Metal Muff will improve your sound, you can upgrade to a tube amp in the future and you might still have use for your pedal.

I beg to disagree... a lot. I've played them both side by side. The XL OWNS the Spider III. And so does... well. Lots of things. The XL is an awesome budget amp.
Quote by mafropetee
I beg to disagree... a lot. I've played them both side by side. The XL OWNS the Spider III. And so does... well. Lots of things. The XL is an awesome budget amp.

The one I tried was amazingly muddy, no definition on the low end. I was trying it out specifically with the idea of exchanging it for my Spider and was dissapointed. It almost has the exact opposite problem of the Spider. Spiders are very bright, digital sounding amps, the XL has a mushy low tone couldn't seem to get enough treble out of it. So I'm saving my pennies for a tube.
Quote by rhettro
The one I tried was amazingly muddy, no definition on the low end. I was trying it out specifically with the idea of exchanging it for my Spider and was dissapointed. It almost has the exact opposite problem of the Spider. Spiders are very bright, digital sounding amps, the XL has a mushy low tone couldn't seem to get enough treble out of it. So I'm saving my pennies for a tube.

It must have been a bad egg, because the one I tried didn't have that problem at all. It was actually quite clear sounding even with lots of distortion. It can't compare to an all-tube, but it's definitely much better than most SS amps.
Ok, I decided on the Jackson RR24, but the amp is still confusing me...
After reading some of these comments, I am not sure if keeping my Spider III and just buying a pedal is a good idea... Would the Krank sound bad through the Spider? Do all pedals sound bad through this amp?

And if I were to get a new amp, it could probably be around $350-400...
Last edited by Someone18 at Nov 23, 2007,
the jackson is cheaper, looks exactly the same and sounds better than Alexi laiho sig guitar imo - get it :P dunno bout amps tho..

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Someone18
Ok, I decided on the Jackson RR24, but the amp is still confusing me...
After reading some of these comments, I am not sure if keeping my Spider III and just buying a pedal is a good idea... Would the Krank sound bad through the Spider? Do all pedals sound bad through this amp?

And if I were to get a new amp, it could probably be around $350-400...

Actually, I'd say get a Jackson RR3 (cheaper, and just as good, unless you HAVE to have 24 frets), and a more expensive tube amp, because then you wont regret your decision.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
^+100000000000000000 zillion...very good. RR3 is a excellent guitar. Pickups are metalheads and other players heaven
very verstatile too.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer