Hey Guys, I'm pretty new to UG but I have a question. Ok everybody knows who boston is? well love the sound of double leads and Tom Scholz is freaking amazing at it. is there a way to do it live other than with another guitarist i have another guitarist and we play double leads pretty often in our church band. But rcomended harmonizers and do you use 5ths 3rds octaves whatever what makes it sound better so yah thanks for the answers.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
3rds and 5ths r most common that i know of
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
3rds, 4ths, 5ths. They all work. It also sounds cool when you harmonize using octaves. You're playing the same notes just someone is an octave higher.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
You can try to use different intervals too, to create some more interesting lines. Like if the other guys plays an A, and you play an E (5th), if he moves up to B, you could move down to D (3rd), etc.
Quote by TheEducatedFool
actually, maiden are the masters of harmony.

Not really.

They make pedals that can do harmonies now. Tom Morello used them a lot in Rage Against the Machine. For a good example, listen to the intro and solo of "Know Your Enemy".
Quote by hardrock1315
Not really.

They make pedals that can do harmonies now. Tom Morello used them a lot in Rage Against the Machine. For a good example, listen to the intro and solo of "Know Your Enemy".

Yes really. Iron maiden are the pioneers of harmonising
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
i always use 3rds and octaves
sometimes 5ths and sometimes 4th when they sound good, but they dont always
Quote by Metal_Injection
Yes really. Iron maiden are the pioneers of harmonising

lmao wrong. Some composer long before the guitarists of iron maiden were even a thought in their mothers heads was the pioneer of harmnizing.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by Tubyboulin
ive been wondering about this Too, so i know what an octave is but is a "5th" 5 Semi-Tones, or 5 Full Steps?

The 5th is the 5th degree in the major scale.

I'd just go for a pedal. I know Boss makes one.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by kyrreca
You can try to use different intervals too, to create some more interesting lines. Like if the other guys plays an A, and you play an E (5th), if he moves up to B, you could move down to D (3rd), etc.

thats a good strategy, but thats not what your saying, you're talking about motion; oblique, contrary, parallel, similiar, those are what you're referring too.

Quote by Tubyboulin
ive been wondering about this Too, so i know what an octave is but is a "5th" 5 Semi-Tones, or 5 Full Steps?

a 5th refers to 5 notes away from that note in the respective scale you're playing in.
so if you are playing an A in the key of D major, move five notes up(within the scale) to an E {A-1,B-2,C#-3,D-4,E-5}.
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
lmao wrong. Some composer long before the guitarists of iron maiden were even a thought in their mothers heads was the pioneer of harmnizing.

As far as guitarists go, they were though. No technique used on guitar was invented by a guitarist, the instrument is just way too new compared to all other instruments. The guitar is only about 120 years old, and the electric only about 70, but other instruments have been around for over 400 years.

As far as harmonies, I usually prefer to use thirds, but sometimes it doesn't sound right, so then I move to fourths and fifths, and then other intervals, sometimes mixes of different intervals, and finally, if none has the sound I'm looking for, I use octaves.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I have never used 4ths i have used 5ths and octaves tho and they sound pretty good. but yah thanks for the answers best part about it we get to play leads at church
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era