so im looking for a good tube amp that is under $1000 (US). I play all different kinds of metal, and id like something with good overdrive.
hmm theres a few used 5150/6505, the b-52 AT212, you might be able to find a genz benz el diablo 60watt head IF you lucky used, theres a few others i cant think off the top of my head

edit:i would try the peavey windsor out with a ts9 or a heavier od
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
For Metal, I'd Get A Used Peavey 5150.

Its an Amazing Amp.

Whatever you get make sure its got a lot of gain. Especially for Modern Metal. ( lamb Of God , As I Lay Dying )
Well, you just want a head, the Carvin V3 is for you!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
if you want versatile, the half stack peavey valve king is 900. good for metal and has good cleans.

if your looking for just a head, go for the 5150, 6505 or XXX but im assuming the thread title means you need either a combo or a stack, not just a head like people are recomending you
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I got my used Peavey 5150 + a Carvin Cabinet for about 950 Dollars.

if you ask me thats a way better deal than a Valveking half stack.

Another thing though, The 5150's Clean channel is mediocre at best.
how much did each piece cost? im not knocking the 5150, the valveking is definetly more versatile though. and since they dont make the 5150 anymore i havent really checked what they go for used.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Used 5150 sells for like 500 bucks. And yeah the 5150 Basically does one thing. But it Does it well.
Quote by pmeg568c
how much did each piece cost? im not knocking the 5150, the valveking is definetly more versatile though. and since they dont make the 5150 anymore i havent really checked what they go for used.

They do still make the 5150, it's the exact same thing as the 6505.

5150s go anywhere from $400-750, usually the heads are more than the combos.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Peavey 5150 if you don't care about cleans (combos are kinda cheap used). Otherwise Peavey XXX (cleans are pretty decent, distortion is pretty insane, and they go for cheap on ebay). If you're looking at a 50 watt tube combo, the B-52 AT112 was rated really high by Guitar Player magazine, and it's only 600 bucks new (i've seen em for as low as 300 on ebay).
I've never been able to find a B52-AT that hasnt been broken. and I've seen quite a few. I've also heard of many other users having reliability issues. Just my $.02
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.