Who's the best guitarist in the world? Van Halen and Malmsteen are two of my favorites and have been for a long time. They're both cocky though. Evh invented tapping and gave us 'eruption', but malmsteen nearly pioneered neo-classical metal (along with blackmore and rhoads) and gave us 'far beyond the sun'. Also malmsteen plays incredibly fast. anyway... any ideas?
van halen didn't invent tapping

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
I like Van Halen
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
well said

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
Eww... I hate them both just because they're both so full of themselves, and it's not the confidence that's funny/on purpose. They're dead serious. They both think they're hot ****.

I'll admit they're both great guitar players (Malmsteen is better musically IMO), but they're both very one-dimensional (EVH ends up tapping in more than 90% of solos, and Malmsteen abuses the harmonic minor in almost every song).

Neither of them are the best guitarist in the world, in my opinion.
I heard that brian may tapped a little way before van halen. And i know that malmsteen is always braggin about himself and how good he is, if he wasn't such a good guitarist, i would hate him.
I love Eddie Van Halen,and he has defiantly fed my style , but Yngwie is my biggest influence (next to Kirk Hammett)
There were quite a few guitar players in the hard rock and metal fields dabbling in tapping (i'm sure they probably lifted the technique from another genre though) before Van Halen....... i wish people would stop giving him credit for "inventing" it. Anyway...... Malmsteen wipes the floor with Van Halen.