I am looking for a good guitar for classic rock such as acdc, led zep, def leppard, etc. My price range would be no higher than 600 dollars. i have been looking at the faded sg's and the fender lonestar strats which both look awesome but i have a strat style squier now so i would rather have a different style guitar, so what do you think of these guitars?? and what else would be good for classic
epi G-400. im not a fan but it would b perfect for wat u need. but more importantly, what amp do u have? if u have a spider 3, idc wat guitar u get its not gonna b classic rock sounding
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Don't get a guitar other than a strat just for the sake of changing things up from your squier...strats are pretty much the most versatile guitars on the market, and really well made. I'd reccomend an HSS myself, for versatility.

SG would be nice too, as would a les paul
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Links 2 3 4
That 3rd guitar is beautiful...

That's most of the reason I recommended it and the other Les Paul. If it didn't look so good, I would have only recommended the other.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I played an HSS.

I played one by metallica, some blues riffs, the sliding stuff from free bird, and many other things and it sounded great on all of them, yes you are right it is VERY versatile. but if you know how to EQ, so could a LP
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition

This is absolutely the best you're going to get for your money, excluding used guitars. I don't know if you'll like the looks but functionally it blows anything else that price out of the water. And it's only $450. You'll be hard pressed to find a better guitar under $600.

Then you'd have $250 left over to get an amp, assuming you don't already have a good one. I'd suggest again to go used, but either of these will be good:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Envoy-110-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481333
Quote by hardrock1315
Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition

This is absolutely the best you're going to get for your money, excluding used guitars. I don't know if you'll like the looks but functionally it blows anything else that price out of the water. And it's only $450. You'll be hard pressed to find a better guitar under $600.

Then you'd have $250 left over to get an amp, assuming you don't already have a good one. I'd suggest again to go used, but either of these will be good:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Envoy-110-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481333

...Huh? Seymore's and no tremolo? For versatility? besides that leaves too little for an amp. Thats not a good suggestion, in my humble opinion. I'd still reccomend a mexi HSS strat and a Vox / Roland amp. The Cube 30's are great the for money, but if you want a step up the Vox hybrid amps are fantastic.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by CJRocker
If you can push it to $630...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=showmaster

Also consider a Jackson DK2T. I find they are pretty versatile guitars, and cna handle all sorts of rock well.

Whats with all these metal guitar links? The cleans on those will be very, very sub-par...not to mention that this guy's looking for classic tones, replicating ACDC and Zeppelin and such, the best guitars to do that are single-handedly the mexi SSS/HSS strat, epi SG, or epi Les Paul. There's a reason they are the standard in the market.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Whats with all these metal guitar links? The cleans on those will be very, very sub-par...not to mention that this guy's looking for classic tones, replicating ACDC and Zeppelin and such, the best guitars to do that are single-handedly the mexi SSS/HSS strat, epi SG, or epi Les Paul. There's a reason they are the standard in the market.

Since when do Duncan Pearly Gates not have good cleans? Won't be any less good soudning clean then what the Epi has Also, the DK2T has excellent cleans as well if you use the novel thing called the neck pickup and roll the tone back a little. Also, AC/DC, Def Leppard, and Led Zep weren't very heavy on the cleans either.
would the lonestar strat wiht a a seymour pearly gates humbucker and two texas special be a whole lot better than just a fat srat? and what about the gibson faded sg's because those are really catching my attention
Quote by CJRocker
Since when do Duncan Pearly Gates not have good cleans? Won't be any less good soudning clean then what the Epi has Also, the DK2T has excellent cleans as well if you use the novel thing called the neck pickup and roll the tone back a little. Also, AC/DC, Def Leppard, and Led Zep weren't very heavy on the cleans either.

Play some SCN or Tex Mex strats in the neck/middle pickups and tell me them Duncans sound good clean. Maybe if you're looking for the sound in the intro to Slayer's "Cult" or something, they'd suffice. But not for true cleans. The good thing about those is you flip distortion on and you've got Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath.

The Les Paul's cleans can sound great, their humbuckers are not nearly as harsh, from my experience, due to the body's weight. I admit the SG will not do good cleans, but it can do ACDC and Zepp perfectly...people say it can't do the blues, but tell that to Clapton when he was in Cream, ya know?

Well the two things about Jackson are 1- their reputation is for metal guitars, practically 100%, and 2- Their quality is not known for being the best in the market for the price. If you must go with a guitar of that genre, ESP/LTD is the way to go for quality and price.

So I still say stick with the strat, SG or Les Paul. You gotta play em man.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by let it play
would the lonestar strat wiht a a seymour pearly gates humbucker and two texas special be a whole lot better than just a fat srat? and what about the gibson faded sg's because those are really catching my attention

Ick. That isn't a great idea. Just because the Texas Specials are the most expensive doesn't mean they are the "best". If you like texas blues SRV style, midrangy warm and crunchy sounds with overdrive but piercing and harsh cleans, then the texas specials are good, but combining that with the Semour Duncan would mess up everything. Thats "too" versatile.
-Jim Morrison
My gretsch!!

The thi g with epiphones, they have muddy as hell pickups. Only way I would buy one is if the pickups were swapped out.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Play some SCN or Tex Mex strats in the neck/middle pickups and tell me them Duncans sound good clean. Maybe if you're looking for the sound in the intro to Slayer's "Cult" or something, they'd suffice. But not for true cleans. The good thing about those is you flip distortion on and you've got Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath.

The Les Paul's cleans can sound great, their humbuckers are not nearly as harsh, from my experience, due to the body's weight. I admit the SG will not do good cleans, but it can do ACDC and Zepp perfectly...people say it can't do the blues, but tell that to Clapton when he was in Cream, ya know?

Well the two things about Jackson are 1- their reputation is for metal guitars, practically 100%, and 2- Their quality is not known for being the best in the market for the price. If you must go with a guitar of that genre, ESP/LTD is the way to go for quality and price.

So I still say stick with the strat, SG or Les Paul. You gotta play em man.

Hums often have a fuller, richer sound when clean in my experience. While tone is subjective, a good mid output humbucker used right sounds just as good clean as a nice single coil.

Personally, I think the idea that a guitar is marketed as metal means its only good for metal is BS. I play blues on my charvel and Ibanez Saber and they sound great and bluesy. Quality wise, that is crap. Nothing touches Jackson's quality imo in its price range. Sure it doesn't have all those features of an ESP/LTD or Schecter, but it feels solid and like something you'll have for a long time. Not to mention its made in Japan as opposed to Korea and China, which right there is a good start. Granted, ESPs have higher quality electronics (pots, switches, and grounds) and hardware IMO, it doesn't make the stuff on Jacksons junk, nor does it affect their overall build quality. I'd rather have a guitar that will be shot long after the hardware is then the other way around.

EDIT: I don't mean disrespect you your opinion Slinky, Ijust strongly disagree with it, but I get the feeling we're just going to have to disagree and let the TS decide

Last edited by CJRocker at Nov 10, 2007,
ive been looking for a good rock guitar to but most of the ones ive found are made of wood.
Quote by stevve
ive been looking for a good rock guitar to but most of the ones ive found are made of wood.

Schecter c1 classic!
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by stevve

thats the worst attempt to get on someones sig....ever lol
"A good song should make you want to tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I’m only interested in writing great songs." - Tom Morello
What amp do you have and what bands are you trying to play?

Classic rock is a very broad term.

I have yet to play a good Gibson Faded SG.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I think you'll find that any issues that you have with clean tones and "metal" guitars are more to do with the amps you plug them into, not the guitar itself...you really need to let the pigeons out of the holes.

As far as the TS goes, first off make sure you have the amp you want for your style, as far as a guitar goes get a Michael Kelly Patriot Phoenix

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/patriot_phoenix.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 2, 2007,