So I have finally got enough money to buy a decent amp, and I feel it's about time to get rid of my Spider anyway. I finally saved up around 2000$, and am on the hunt for a nice amp. Versatility is everything to me, from jeff buckley's immaculate clean to satriani's scorching high gain leads and Zakk Wylde's pinch harmonics, but I am a sucker for a good clean channel.

I think I have narrowed it down to the
-Mesa Lone Star
-Peavey JSX

Which one of these two should I jump for? (note: the mesa dealer near me only has the lonestar classic, which I loved the clean on, and no peavey dealer near me sells JSX's) If you have any other suggestions, feel free to say so as long as they are still under 2 grand thanks for the help in advance.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
does it HAVE to be new?.... if no... high end marshall are the sh*t... and you know it

edit: i love the mesa lone star BTW...
Last edited by just17n8 at Nov 10, 2007,
Well if you have 2 grand to spend. Go for a Mesa Mark IV, awesome cleans and can get as heavy as you want it but still very articulate sounding. Could also get one used for about $1000 and then get a good cab if you don't get the combo.

However, out of those two, JSX wins for what you want (imo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh God, Mark IV Mark IV Mark IV.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It pretty much has to be new guys. As I am only 16, and 300 dollars is coming from the rents, there is no way my mom and dad are going to let me buy used. I know buying used is good in most cases, but still, it wont happen until I move out. But is the Mark IV clean as great as either one of the amps I listed? If anything has to suffer in the amp I would rather it be the high gain territory. I know the mark IV can produce some high gain brutality, but I have never heard anybody talk about the cleans.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
It might be useful to know I like a really articulate sound. I just can't stand muddiness, which is one reason of many why I need to get rid of the spider.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by muffinman123192
I think Jon (UnsignedRecords) has a Mark IV. Send him a PM and ask him some questions.

So does Erock503, check out his profile, he has a few clips of the clean and distortion.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Mark IV's cleans are even better than its distortion, in my opinion. It's pretty much sublime.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Does anyone have an American website selling mesa boogie amps? i cant find one.

I suggest te Mark IV as well, im looking for some now but i can find any.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
Does anyone have an American website selling mesa boogie amps? i cant find one.

I suggest te Mark IV as well, im looking for some now but i can find any.

No, Mesas aren't allowed to be sold online in the States, only in-store at dealers.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^Well that stinks, i wont be able to get one then. My plan was to buy it cheap via conversion rates and get it sent over here in Australia. that way i end up paying like %50 less. Oh well.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I have a JSX. It's very versatile. I have some high gain clips in my profile up right now. The clips don't do it justice, but it gives a good idea as to what it sounds like.

I love it.
Quote by .arkness:.
^Well that stinks, i wont be able to get one then. My plan was to buy it cheap via conversion rates and get it sent over here in Australia. that way i end up paying like %50 less. Oh well.

Doesn't end up that much cheaper dude, even with the strong aussie dollar. So do you have $2000 AUD, or $2200 AUD?
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
I'd either go for...(In no particular order)...ENGL Blackmore, ENGL Powerball, Mesa Boogie Mark IV, Peavey JSX. I have a JSX, I love it, but I'm gonna get a Mark IV to run in stereo with it as they both have very similar tonally but differently voiced lead tones which, I think, sound amazing together.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

how much is a bogner ecstacy?

i'm guessing too much... if it is, vht, soldano, probably mesa mark IV (Haven't tried the mark IV) are probably worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i'm guessing too much... if it is, vht, soldano, probably mesa mark IV (Haven't tried the mark IV) are probably worth a look.

Bogners are well over 2k, VHT would be a good choice as well, didn't think of that, buy you'd have to go used to find a decent two channel one, since the Deliverance is only 1 channel (damnit! ). Could look into the Soldano Avenger as well, though I highly doubt you'll be able to find an SLO or anything for $2k, unless you don't mind waiting a while for an awesome deal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ yeah, the avenger and deliverance will struggle to get that range of tones in the one song... if you're able to redial in, though, or are good with your guitar's volume knob, they should do the job, though, and are pretty sweet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a fuchs

amazing amps. id challenge you to find an amp that compares for the price.
My vote goes for the Mark IV too.
But I also recommend the Laney GH100L half-stack. It'll be cheaper and still sound great whatever you play (in fact, I'm sold to that amp )
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Guitargle
get a fuchs

amazing amps. id challenge you to find an amp that compares for the price.

You're the first one I've seen here who knows about Fuchs, but I think they're out of his price range for the most part. Last I looked, there wasn't much available for under $2300 US, but Fuchs are amazing & worth looking into. ODS 100=pure bliss
To TS-The Mesa Mark IV will definitely get the sounds you want, & will make you happy for years. The Fuchs stuff is at another level. Super serious gear. BTW-I doubt you'll get the cleans you want from an Avenger (not without a lot of tweaking), & it won't sound as good clean as a Mesa. But t3e br00talz!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
You're the first one I've seen here who knows about Fuchs, but I think they're out of his price range for the most part. Last I looked, there wasn't much available for under $2300 US, but Fuchs are amazing & worth looking into. ODS 100=pure bliss
To TS-The Mesa Mark IV will definitely get the sounds you want, & will make you happy for years. The Fuchs stuff is at another level. Super serious gear. BTW-I doubt you'll get the cleans you want from an Avenger (not without a lot of tweaking), & it won't sound as good clean as a Mesa. But t3e br00talz!!!

yeah man, i love the fuchs.

andy (the guy who owns fuchs) is a friend of a friend (iv never spoken to him or met him though) inside tip: watch out for some awesome pedals coming from them
Splawn Quickrod!

Beautiful cleans, Tight punchy distortion, nice plexi OD tones. though if your getting it new its gonna take most of your money

http://www.youtube.com/user/shreder75

check out all his videos it will probably hit every tone you want
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I'd say Mark IV... The lonestar has a fair bit of gain, but it's got a more vintage voicing. I much prefer it tbh.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Syn Harvest
Splawn Quickrod!

Beautiful cleans, Tight punchy distortion, nice plexi OD tones. though if your getting it new its gonna take most of your money

http://www.youtube.com/user/shreder75

check out all his videos it will probably hit every tone you want

i never heard of them, i'll have to check them out. thanks!
ya and if you want to get it go to Rock solid amps hes an online dealer super awesome dude he sells them and can tell you more about them as well
Quote by Dave_Mc

Around $3,200 used.... and that's a good price...

I would recommend a used Roadking or New Mesa Roadster or Mark IV.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Around $3,200 used.... and that's a good price...

I would recommend a used Roadking or New Mesa Roadster or Mark IV.

The Series 1 roadkings and roadsters cleans blow. The Series II are much better but unfortunatly havent been around long enough to find used unless you go to HCAF there are some guys there with them
maybe if I went with the lonestar I could get a pedal to go for high gain stuff, because I do like vintage voiced stuff alot more than I listen to. I would never play anything heavier than metallica probably. But then again, I really love satriani's highgain tone, but I think Gus G's is incredible. I'm actually going to look into this fuchs stuff. I started with scratch and saved this, if its really worth it, I might keep saving. It might also be helpful to know I am in America, I have never seen a laney around where I live.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by ledroses23
maybe if I went with the lonestar I could get a pedal to go for high gain stuff, because I do like vintage voiced stuff alot more than I listen to. I would never play anything heavier than metallica probably. But then again, I really love satriani's highgain tone, but I think Gus G's is incredible. I'm actually going to look into this fuchs stuff. I started with scratch and saved this, if its really worth it, I might keep saving.

oh... its really worth it. as soon as you play one, you will want one.
would a mesa nomad 45 also be a good choice?
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by Syn Harvest
The Series 1 roadkings and roadsters cleans blow. The Series II are much better but unfortunatly havent been around long enough to find used unless you go to HCAF there are some guys there with them

No they don't. I have a roadking, I prefer it's cleans over the Bogner XTC, Fender Twin, Roland JC120 to name a few.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Two words . . . VEGAS, BABY!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto