Do any of you guys and gals ever get a really really strong urge to play an acoustic bass?? I've got like this uncontrollable want right now that's bumming me out because i don't yet have one...i only get the urge every so often..but when it happens it really happens
Quote by A Rolling Stone
My first date was nowhere near as bad as your grammar
I've considered one for busking with, as a double bass would be too big, and I wouldn't have power for an amp.

But I've never played one, are they loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar? I've heard they're kinda useless unless you get a really good one.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I will say it now, as I've said it before, and as I'll say long after you're gone, there is no acoustic bass, within the workingman's budget worth getting. And even outside of the workingman's budget, I personally don't think there is one worth getting. That is, I don't think there has ever been an acoustic bass invented that is worth getting. Do you get the idea I don't like them?
Quote by TGM
I've considered one for busking with, as a double bass would be too big, and I wouldn't have power for an amp.

But I've never played one, are they loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar? I've heard they're kinda useless unless you get a really good one.

i played an acoustic set at guitar center once using store merchandice and the bass was fairly audible...it was cheap too...so i know i like them...its just a matter of going and getting one...it wouldn't be the kind of thing you would play in a really big show...more like an intimate setting..like a coffee shop or something
Quote by A Rolling Stone
I've seen a band with a fretless wasburn acoustic bass..Darn it was smooth..It was amplifyed tho

Yeah I got one.. Its good for acousic jams just you really gotta put you fingers into it to get enough sound.

So uhh.. Un amplifyed = good SOMTIMES. no chance of hearing it over drums
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
^ Yeah, I'm thinking of one for busking on the street.

Busking is a weird situation, one where I actually want a cheap instrument (cause it will get damaged) and where tone doesn't matter but volume does.

So long as it keeps up with city noise and an acoustic/vox I don't care about how ad it sounds. But I doubt an acoustic bass would be loud enough... (in the city, that is.)
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I just have to agree with delirium here, the Tacoma thunderchief is the way to go if you want an acoustic. I've got one and played it at some partys. It can be heard with 2 guitarist and a djembe (and background noise from party-people in the back).
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
Quote by henkschins
I just have to agree with delirium here, the Tacoma thunderchief is the way to go if you want an acoustic. I've got one and played it at some partys. It can be heard with 2 guitarist and a djembe (and background noise from party-people in the back).

The Warwick Alien stage is also ment to be excellent, but is alas very hard to find and pricy.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
There's no acoustic bass like the Double/Contra/Acoustic/Standup/Uprightbass. I honestly don't see why they made the acoustic bass. Is it suppose to be a portable version of the Doublebass? And if so it fails. No offense to anyone but I hate those things with a passion.
i played a ibanez acoustic bass some time ago and it was pretty good
i also played a fender acoustic bass and it was the worst bass i have ever played
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by FbSa
There's no acoustic bass like the Double/Contra/Acoustic/Standup/Uprightbass. I honestly don't see why they made the acoustic bass. Is it suppose to be a portable version of the Doublebass? And if so it fails. No offense to anyone but I hate those things with a passion.

Well, they shouldn't be considered a portable double bass because they aren't, to be quite frank. Some people (including myself) do like acoustic basses. I personally like them because they don't feel as harsh as an electric bass sometimes can be, and the tone is brilliant, especially on fretless acoustics. The only true thing that's made to be portable uprights are the electric uprights.
I've never liked them, I'm not saying it's a bad thing you like them (Or anyone for that matter) It's just I don't like them. I've never seen a purpose for them. But then again I do play upright... Which is my acoustic bass, can you see where I'm coming from?
I use my acoustic for little thing at my church with my bro. At some point I would want to save up and get a Michael Kelly Fretless Dragonfly, since the one I have now is a low end Dean. Acoustic basses are pretty interesting. Love to hear how songs sound on it. Can't stop sounds pretty awesome on acoustic imo.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
I sometimes get the urge to play one, too.

But then I actually go to a music store and play one, and my opinion changes drastically.
The.
Quote by FbSa
*drools* Now I may not like acoustic basses, but sexy is sexy.

sexy is sexy
Quote by A Rolling Stone
I know I've been touting the Tacoma Thunderchief to almost annoying degrees, but (specifically to you, Jazzy) it's the only bass worth owning. You don't NEED to play one, but when you do, within minutes, you'll realize exactly what the acoustic bass guitar is about. If you play a Thunderchief, you'll "get it". The warm and thickness will be apparent immediately and you'll begin to see the appeal.

There's no other bass on the market quite like it. Michael Kellys are large acoustic guitars, not acoustic basses. Tacoma has the patent on A-frame bracing, so the Alien Stage won't quite sound the same, especially at the price. Also note the Warwick's 32" scale and typical Warwick neck that feels like an alternative to electric as opposed to a unique instrument of it's own like the Tacoma Thunderchief is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I sometimes get the urge to play one, too.

But then I actually go to a music store and play one, and my opinion changes drastically.

Its amazing what a dose of reality can do for your perspective. I just played a fretless ABG this week and I was reminded how awful they are. Bleach--if I need to play outdoors or somewhere without electricity, give me my P bass and a Pignose H30 amp.
Quote by anarkee
Its amazing what a dose of reality can do for your perspective. I just played a fretless ABG this week and I was reminded how awful they are.

Yeah, if you want to try a 7-string fretless with nil string spacing, let me know and we can make it a bit of an event.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
My Brownsville Acoustic Electric (around 300 bucks) was set up terribly with the factory strings. The electronics buzzed and the the strings were dull. I took it into the shop and had them fix the electronics and I replaced the strings. The instrument sounds beautiful now. I use standard C# tuning on it (the bass is an extended scale 24 fret monster) and it sings!

The acoustic bass offers a warmth of tone that the electric just cannot produce. If you're playing the right bass with new strings, you'll have no trouble being heard with an acoustic guitar. For our live acoustic set, the bass sounds great plugged into the PA along with our singer and I have the best tone coming straight from the bass.

Acoustic bass haters, you don't know what you're missing. Want to hear what an acoustic bass can do? Check out Sevendust's live acoustic album DOUBLE WIDE and listen to that tone! Absolutely awesome.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
I bought a Ibanez Acoustic with Exotic Wood and its amazing, It' cant be heard very well with another guitar but its amazing sounding.
Quote by bxcarracer
I bought a Ibanez Acoustic with Exotic Wood and its amazing, It' cant be heard very well with another guitar but its amazing sounding.

Isn't being heard with another guitar the idea? What's it for then?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Looking good, duh.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Not to me, being heard over a guitar was not why I bought it. I got it cuz I love the way it sounds. No amp I know of can reproduce a marvelous acoustic sound. I also bought it so I could walk around the house without having to plug in to an amp. Or when its night out and I cant make that much noise. Or when I have a good line in my head I can just pick up the acoustic and play no need to get the right sound of the amp and plugging it and all that nonsence. And the pretty thing was just a plus.