So, with the snapping of my Les Paul's neck, it looks pretty likely that my Strat mods planned for a month in the future will be accelerated. Apart from a refinish, and tuner and nut replacement, it's going to be recieving new pickups.

The pickups I've chosen are an SHR-1B Hot Rails for the neck, and a SJBJ-1B Jnr. for the bridge. It's not going to have a middle pickup, because I never use it anyway.

Thus, I thought that I'd wire it like a Telecaster.

What I'd like to know is if the wiring diagram I've created will function correctly.

I know the text will be difficult to read, that's mostly for my benefit, since I've never rewired a guitar before, and will need to be fairly sure where each thing goes.

The blue wires lead to a treble bleed cap. Not sure if I'm going to do this yet, it'll depend on what I think of the pickups, but it's there just in case.

The red wires are just a killswitch.

I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm/deny that this would work, and if it wouldn't, explain why and what I'd need to change.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by snot_foster25 at Nov 10, 2007,
i don't really know what's going on with the 5-way switch. but the tone pot should be wired to either lug 2, or lug 3, the hot wires of each. vintage les pauls had the tone pot wired to lug 2, but lug 3 is a modern strat way. but if u wire it to the ground lug (what u got now), it won't really do anything.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I couldn't find a 3-way switch for the diagram, but aren't there the same amount of lugs on both?

This was the diagram I was trying to base it off.'

EDIT:

Of course, it's possible that I've just interpreted the diagram incorrectly.
actually, please disregard my previous comment about the tone pot. it's right. i just saw it wrong. sorry.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The only real differences between the two digrams are the layout, the pickups, and your modifications.

One thing I highly recommend you do is solder the 3rd tab on the volume pot (furthest right in your diagram) to the casing of the pot, soldering the tone capacitor from the middle tab of the tone pot directly to the casing, and then soldering a wire between the two casings.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Will that do anything in terms of tone?

Or, in general, what will that do that's different or better than the way I have it?
It will help reduce hum.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
It will help reduce hum.

no it won't. it creates ground loops so it will get more hum. stock stratocaster is full of ground loops. therefore, it's not well shielded.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Really? I wasn't aware of that.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

The pickups I've chosen are both humbuckers, though, so will it still get hum if it's wired like that?
Okay, so the way I've done it in my diagram will give me the least hum if it's properly shielded?
I'd always thought that grounding the pot casings together was a part of star-grounding.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

The neck pickup and the far right (on my diagram) lug of the volume pot will get grounded together on the volume pot, so it wouldn't be at all hard to experiment with the different positions of the capacitor.

If I understand correctly, it's just a matter of whether it gets soldered to where the neck pickup is grounded on the top of the pot, or whether it gets soldered to the lug.

Soldering the cap to the lug is making more sense to me, though, I'm assuming that soldering it to the ground of something would have some kind of adverse effect on it.

That could be completely wrong, though.
Quote by Will_Minus
I'd always thought that grounding the pot casings together was a part of star-grounding.

no. the case is already grounded through the shaft+nut, so you wouldn't have to worry about grounding the case. star grounding is like gathering all the grounds to one spot (star) and grounding the whole signal from there to the sleeve of the jack.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Oh, okay. I must have confused grounding the pot casings together with grounding everything to the back of the volume pot.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

well, this discussion from my side is just for stratocasters. generally, in like Les Pauls and SGs, your pots won't get shielded through the pickguard, so you'd need to connect the casing to ground too.

so as far as the whole system you were basing ur discussion, ur saying is right.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Here's a thought. Could I do a coil split on either humbucker with an SPST switch?

Which pickups usually have coil splits on them? I'd guess the bridge?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well, south finish is the - of the south pickup, and north finish and south start (north - and south +) is soldered together to form a series connection. if u break that part and put the north -, which is north finish to ground, you'd have just the north.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
sorry but i'm too lazy. it was on that website tho...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, I didn't understand it properly. I found a diagram on the Seymour Duncan website that uses a push/pull pot to do it, but I think I could just replace that with a DPDT switch.

Thanks mate.