Im pretty new to finger picking.
I got sick of the sound of a pick when I started playing softer things and noticed that my favorite bass players didn't use picks.
How do you build up strength, speed, stamina, and dexterity in the index, middle, and ring finger (of playing fast triplets like Iron Maiden/Slayer songs).

oh by the way
sorry if this topic already exists haha
u searched but didnt find anything similar
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Also you can try playing unplugged, will force you to get more sound out of the strings using you hand strength alone.

Or even use a heavy gauge of strings for a while, then when you go back down to a normal gauge you hands will be alot stronger and they will feel much easier to play.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
Also you can try playing unplugged, will force you to get more sound out of the strings using you hand strength alone.

Or even use a heavy gauge of strings for a while, then when you go back down to a normal gauge you hands will be alot stronger and they will feel much easier to play.

Volume =/= strength. When people say picking strength, they mean dexterity. The only way you'll get good dexterity is by practicing against a metronome.

EDIT: and playing too hard can have complications later on.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Nov 10, 2007,
Is there a good metronome to use online?
I know of the one on 8notes.com but i dont wanna get QuickTime
bad experience with Apple Software and i had to completely reinstall windows
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
thanks delirium thats perfect
all the others i found go by 4's (100 104 108 112 116)

i also watnted to use my fingers so i could tap without having to put the pick in the gap between the pick ups real quick
hshs
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Volume =/= strength. When people say picking strength, they mean dexterity. The only way you'll get good dexterity is by practicing against a metronome.

EDIT: and playing too hard can have complications later on.

That's right but playing unplugged will still increase your ability to get volume out of the strings. I thought when he said strength he meant the actual amount of force your fingers can apply.

And no, you shouldn't play like that through the amp, it's just an exercise. This advice comes straight form Rob Little, one of the best bassists in Australia.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
That's right but playing unplugged will still increase your ability to get volume out of the strings. I thought when he said strength he meant the actual amount of force your fingers can apply.

And no, you shouldn't play like that through the amp, it's just an exercise. This advice comes straight form Rob Little, one of the best bassists in Australia.

A lot of people think that when finger "strength" is mentioned With picking fingers, it isn't so much strength as opposed to endurance and dexterity. And as I said, playing too hard can be dangerous for them there tendons.

I mean, yeah, it's nice to get those dynamics, but you shouldn't have to be playing too hard amplified to get a decent volume.
is there any exercises like economy picking for finger playing?
Quote by Dwardom
is there any exercises like economy picking for finger playing?

Nope. Well, there's always ghosting, where if you play two adjacent strings one after the other, you sweep through, say, the A string, keep going and play the note on the E, whilst simultaneously muting the A string. If you get me. One finger sweep hits two notes.
thats a good technique to get good at.
I'm thinking ill just play every major scale up the neck from the F (first fret E string)
and once im at highest frets... ill get my first note on the A and climb down one by one (Victor wooten does this)
then ill do the whole thing in Minor
and increase tempo

and spider walks would be good
and walking bass lines would be good to play to
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A lot of people think that when finger "strength" is mentioned With picking fingers, it isn't so much strength as opposed to endurance and dexterity. And as I said, playing too hard can be dangerous for them there tendons.

I mean, yeah, it's nice to get those dynamics, but you shouldn't have to be playing too hard amplified to get a decent volume.

Yeah, I find that you get the best tones using a light touch. If you hit the strings too hard (unless that's the desired effect.) you get buzz, which kills your fundamental harmonics, which means a sound with no bass.

Always let the amp do the hard work for you, and let your fingers control dynamics.

Here's an exercise my teacher told me for finger speed:

Play a scale (over at least two octaves and at least 3 strings). Instead of just playing straight eighth notes use a 8th-16th-16th note rhythm, or a 16th-8th-16th note rhythm or 16th-16th-8th note rhythm. Also, dotted 8th-16th note rhythms are good; you could even do a double dotted 8th-32nd note rhythms. That way your fingers are actually going quite fast in short bursts. Always use a metronome and keep it accurate.

Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
so would it look like this? (G major)
G|-----------------------------9-10-12-14-16-17--
D|---------------7-9-10-12--------------------------
A|-------7-8-10--------------------------------------
E|8-10------------------------------------------------
There's always the good old "killer" exercise. It concentrates mainly on the fretting hand, but also helps with right hand accuracy, playing a different string on every note.

TS, the killer exercise is when you play any consecutive 4 frets, 1 finger per fret. You start off by doing this with one string, and then you start mixing it up, like:

G 1
D ------ 3
A ----2
E---------- 4

and other random combos. This will also improve your right hand accuracy, as you increase tempo (DON'T SKIP TEMPOS YOU CAN'T PLAY EVENLY!)
Quote by Dwardom
so would it look like this? (G major)
G|-----------------------------9-10-12-14-16-17--
D|---------------7-9-10-12--------------------------
A|-------7-8-10--------------------------------------
E|8-10------------------------------------------------

That's C major. But yeah, you could use that scale.

I said it should be over 2 octaves, but one is fine actually. Just that if you use two octaves it involves position shifting as well, but that's a left hand thing.
oh i got mixed up
G is on the 3rd fret
yeah thats a good one delirium
thats the spider walk i mentioned

hey can someone link me to a page with all the scale shapes?
well thats kinda what i meant
like a page that says like
x scale = G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G
yeah ive seen it
i think it was a link on the home page
thanks man
thats a big help
(adds to favorites)