Could someone tell me the best 70's rock guitar? like i want to go by reviews and peoples opinion even though tbh its only ur opinion that matters when your purchasing a guitar. but cool. rock on!
PAF loaded les paul or a stratocaster.

now for 80s, les paul with P90s.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the coolesdt guitar FROM the 70's?

70's super strat
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
the coolesdt guitar FROM the 70's?

70's super strat

They didn't have true Super strats then I would say a good seventies rock guitar is an LP or strat loaded with PAF-like humbuckers, as mentioned.
Quote by CJRocker
They didn't have true Super strats then I would say a good seventies rock guitar is an LP or strat loaded with PAF-like humbuckers, as mentioned.

well not in the modern sense (e.g. 24 jumbo frets, sharp headstock, humbuckers)

you had to get them custom made, but it would be essentially a strat (21-22 medium frets) with a Floyd Rose and hot p'ups
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
well not in the modern sense (e.g. 24 jumbo frets, sharp headstock, humbuckers)

you had to get them custom made, but it would be essentially a strat (21-22 medium frets) with a Floyd Rose and hot p'ups

Floyd Roses didn't come around come around until 81-82 IIRC. A super strat to me (as well as a lot of others) is a Floyded strat with at least one humbucker on it. You can't call them SuperStrats with just 2 hums or a hum in the bridge like then anyway, as the term hadn't been coined yet.
did people in the 70s use stratocasters with floyd rose and humbuckers??? most people used stock pickups. floyd rose like mentioned, didn't ocme around till the 80s. tell me who used a super strat in the 70s. then we'll talk. cuz the earliest superstrat user i can recognize is van halen. but they were big in the 80s and on. so that rules out the 70s thing.

so TS, what kind of 70s sound are you looking for?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
id really like a nice like ya know zeppelin, sabbath, acdc sound, that really nice prangggg, but there seemin to use a SG but im not to keen on the expense of those?
Quote by DieKrupps
easy. 70' strat

/thread
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by CJRocker
Floyd Roses didn't come around come around until 81-82 IIRC. A super strat to me (as well as a lot of others) is a Floyded strat with at least one humbucker on it. You can't call them SuperStrats with just 2 hums or a hum in the bridge like then anyway, as the term hadn't been coined yet.

Quote by ECistheBest
did people in the 70s use stratocasters with floyd rose and humbuckers??? most people used stock pickups. floyd rose like mentioned, didn't ocme around till the 80s. tell me who used a super strat in the 70s. then we'll talk. cuz the earliest superstrat user i can recognize is van halen. but they were big in the 80s and on. so that rules out the 70s thing.

so TS, what kind of 70s sound are you looking for?

damn! you're both right!

just did my research

i humbly apologize

but yes, a strat with PAF p'ups is teh secks
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
but yes, a strat with PAF p'ups is teh secks

no its not... that's just van halen. and that's 80s.

like i said, PAF loaded Les Paul (which is stock), or a stock strat or a tele.

that's what the majority of people used in the 70s. one of the few modified guitars were jimmy page's les paul. he also used a strat. clapton used his strat in the 70s. brownie, then eventually making his blackie. Ritchie blackmore plugged his stock strat into his marshalls. David gilmour used strats and teles. Black sabbath's tony iommi used his SG downtuned, so did AC/DC's angus young, who used SGs loaded with PAFs. Joe Perry too, his sound is best described with Les Paul + Marshall combo, using symour duncan seth lover pickups now, which is a copy of the PAF made by Seth Lover himself.

Quote by FenderBassist21
/thread

not really. just as many people who used the new strats in the 70s, others preferred old 50s and 60s strats. when CBS bought out fender, late '65, thats when the "70s" strats came along with big headstock and lower quality control. the 50s and 60s strats and their configurations are highly valued by many guitarists, like the 50s neck that Eric Clapton loves, 60s vintage strats John Frusciante uses now, '59 strat Stevie Ray Vaughan used, David gilmour has a '57 reissue neck, many people prefer the pickups made from the materials same as the '50s pickups too. now, people agree that 70's was the worst years in strats. although Jimi Hendrix and Ritchie Blackmore used them... but they both to crazy tremolo abuse, or Blackmore smashing it into his amps, which i wouldn't respect if they did it on the '50s or '60s strats.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
no its not... that's just van halen. and that's 80s.

like i said, PAF loaded Les Paul (which is stock), or a stock strat or a tele.

that's what the majority of people used in the 70s. one of the few modified guitars were jimmy page's les paul. he also used a strat. clapton used his strat in the 70s. brownie, then eventually making his blackie. Ritchie blackmore plugged his stock strat into his marshalls. David gilmour used strats and teles. Black sabbath's tony iommi used his SG downtuned, so did AC/DC's angus young, who used SGs loaded with PAFs. Joe Perry too, his sound is best described with Les Paul + Marshall combo, using symour duncan seth lover pickups now, which is a copy of the PAF made by Seth Lover himself.

not really. just as many people who used the new strats in the 70s, others preferred old 50s and 60s strats. when CBS bought out fender, late '65, thats when the "70s" strats came along with big headstock and lower quality control. the 50s and 60s strats and their configurations are highly valued by many guitarists, like the 50s neck that Eric Clapton loves, 60s vintage strats John Frusciante uses now, '59 strat Stevie Ray Vaughan used, David gilmour has a '57 reissue neck, many people prefer the pickups made from the materials same as the '50s pickups too. now, people agree that 70's was the worst years in strats. although Jimi Hendrix and Ritchie Blackmore used them... but they both to crazy tremolo abuse, or Blackmore smashing it into his amps, which i wouldn't respect if they did it on the '50s or '60s strats.

EC just blew everyone out of the ****ing water. like usual.

if you want a 70's sound, PAF pickups in a LP are the way to go.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12