Hey guys, I have a quick question about amps. I'm looking to upgrade to a half-stack now, and I think I know what I want, but there's something I don't get. I'm looking to get this and this. My question is, on the cab, it says "400 Watts @ 8 Ohms" but on the head it says "500 Watts of power at 4 ohms". What exactly does that signify? Can I change the "resistance" I guess you would call it, on the head or the cab? If you can, what difference does it make? Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Okay first, the head does not have an ohmage as it does not take any power from your circuit. What Xwatts @ 4 ohms means is that if it's pumping wattage into a 4 ohm cab it pumps X watts. If it's pumping into an 8 ohm cab it's pumping roughly X/2 watts. So since your head is 500 watts @ 4 ohms, and you cab is 400 watts handling @ 8 ohms, the head is pumping roughly 250 watts into your cab.
You can't change the resistant on the head or cab, you'd have to add another cab to change the resistance.

That setup will work fine. The head will put out 500w of power at 4ohms, and probably 250-350w at 8ohms. (the manual will tell you how much exactly, it's on their website.) So that head will probably put out less than 400w into that cab, and once you get another 8ohm cab the total resistance will be 4ohms, meaning that the head will put out 500w into the two cabs.

Basically, the setup will work, but unless you get a 4ohm cab or another 8ohm cab you will lose a bite of volume. This won't be bad, you will still have plenty. That setup will be fine with a band.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up. So would you suggest trying to find a 4 ohm cab of the same wattage in order to get the most power out of all the gear?
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
^ Depends.

If you get a 4ohm cab (one that can handle 500w) you will get the most power out of your head. Whether you need it is debatable, and depends on your situation. Also, if you want to upgrade or add more cabs in the future you will need to sell the 4ohm cab and buy two 8ohm cabs.

If you get an 8ohm cab you can just add another 8ohm cab in the future, and you might not miss the extra volume anyway.

So it depends, if you know you won't ever get another cab (or if you're ok with selling cabs) you may as well go for a 4ohm cab. Otherwise an 8ohm cab will be more flexible in the future.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Okay, I just checked out the manual for the head, and it says it'll get about 350 watts out of an 8 ohm speaker system. 350 watts is enough for me, and since you say I'd need 8 ohm cabs if I ever wanted to get more than one, I think that'll be a good setup. Thanks for all your help.
Quote by Trefellin

LastFM