Alright:

I've been playing acoustic for almost a year now, and I've decided I want to start playing electric too. I'm really into Classic Rock (ie. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, BTO, etc.), and I'm pretty sure that's the kind of music I want to play. I've done some research and it looks like the best brand to go with is either Gibson or Epiphone - at least for the style I want to play.

As of right now, the SG and Les Paul seem to work great for me, and I'm not really experienced enough to be able to tell a huge difference in sound from them. But now I'm stuck. I don't know which way to go! Gibson or Epiphone? Les Paul or SG? Which amp? There are just so many things that I need to figure out.

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of money to spend on a guitar, so I really want to get the most bang for my buck. Can anyone give me some ideas on which direction to go?

Thanks!
Quote by riverdancer
Alright:

I've been playing acoustic for almost a year now, and I've decided I want to start playing electric too. I'm really into Classic Rock (ie. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, BTO, etc.), and I'm pretty sure that's the kind of music I want to play. I've done some research and it looks like the best brand to go with is either Gibson or Epiphone - at least for the style I want to play.

As of right now, the SG and Les Paul seem to work great for me, and I'm not really experienced enough to be able to tell a huge difference in sound from them. But now I'm stuck. I don't know which way to go! Gibson or Epiphone? Les Paul or SG? Which amp? There are just so many things that I need to figure out.

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of money to spend on a guitar, so I really want to get the most bang for my buck. Can anyone give me some ideas on which direction to go?

Thanks!

I would go for a epiphone SG for the stuff you want to play. Also get a decent practice amp (Line 6 are good practice amps and cool to mess around with because of all the presets.)
Thanks for the quick response.

-Line 6 was actually the amp I was going to go with.

-I would like to keep the price as low as possible. However, I think I'll have to go with an Epiphone since I really only want to spend up to $300-$400 on the guitar itself.

One more question:

What's the difference in sound between the Les Paul and SG?

Thanks!
It depends, but for the most part here it is.

Les Paul:
-Fairly heavy
-is said that because
of the thick body it has
better sustain and
sounds fuller

SG:
-Fairly Light
-is said that is has a more “compact” sound

I hope that sort of helps I'm not entirely sure the differences myself but I have a gibson les paul myself and I think the SG would suit your style more.
I think I'm going to go with the SG. It just has a warmer sound to me.

So this is what I'm thinking:

+Epiphone SG
+Line 6 Amp

What do you think? Anything I should add (ie. Swap Pickups, etc.), or take away?
Last edited by riverdancer at Nov 11, 2007,
Also, with the Line 6 - I'm looking for one with all the presets. However, I want to keep this package (Guitar + Amp) under $600. Is this possible?
Last edited by riverdancer at Nov 11, 2007,
If you are short on cash and want an LP style, I'd suggest looking to a brand other than Epiphone. There are quite a few other brands that easily meet or surpass the quality of an Epi for less. Check out Agile or Michael Kelly Guitars. And maybe instead of getting a small Line 6 just go for a low power tube amp. They will probably work out better in the end for classic rock. There are a number of different amps in that category (Epi Valve Juniors, Crate Palominos, etc.) An overdriven vintage tube sound would probably be something you are looking for your style of music.
I guess you would want some thing like:

Epiphone G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider III 75 Modeling Combo Amp

Try out the LP and the SG before you buy anything.
Last edited by eaton1012 at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by eaton1012
I guess you would want some thing like:

Epiphone G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider III 75 Modeling Combo Amp

Try out the LP and the SG before you buy anything.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Fender G-DEC amp is amazing, try it out. It is a good practice amp and has the effects etc.