So, I've got this bass, its an Ibanez GSR 200, I've had it for about two and a half years, and it was the first bass
I ever owned. I started playing bass a few months before I bought this bass, but for the most part, this bass was
what I started with. I've had a few other basses between this and my Schecter, but I've never really felt as comfortable
with those other basses as I've had with my Schecter. So now that I've got a steady # 1 bass, I felt like I could take
my first, and make it a million times better. Of course if I wanted to I could save up some money and buy a bass made
of better wood, one that comes with higher quality parts, or hell even a full scale neck (I say 35 in and 24 frets should be
standard, this one sadly is 34 with 22 frets).

So with this bass I have decided to:
1. Make it Fretless (done)
2. Put on some Flat wound strings
3. Install a black Badass II Bridge
4. Install these EMG P/J Active Pickups
5. Put on some black tuning keys
5. Put on some nice Black Knobs

I think after that i will have a bass worth playing, not sure I'll use it more than my Schecter but, I will use it more often

The only thing I've finished so far is making it Fretless, tomorrow I'm going to pick up the strings, but I need some more money
before I can finish the next four things on my list. Any tips would be helpful, maybe somewhere I could get the stuff I need for cheaper, or better quality stuff. I'm about set on the EMGs, but other than that, I'm not really sure if the Badass will be the best, or if i can find some better quality tuners or knobs, or what kind of flatwounds to get, i'm thinkning rotosounds, maybe even some black nylons

also if there is anything else I can add that will make this a higher quality bass, that isn't very difficult, i don't know much about wiring, so i'm kinda limited

Heres some pics of the Fretlessing:
Tape!

empty slots!

Finished!

m
Its much smoother than it looks

Beautiful
Last edited by Zar938 at Nov 10, 2007,
y does making it fretless help? cause i have have the same bass and i was j/w.

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
I think you're taking this too far. The bridge and everything else you're doing isnt going to do anything noticable other than looks. You would have been better off selling it and getting a nice neck-thru or fretless with better wood. I think ESP makes a neck-thru for like $225

edit: Lol, I have the same dickies guitar strap
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by GuitarGuy1994
y does making it fretless help? cause i have have the same bass and i was j/w.

it doesn't necessarily help, it changes the sound off the bass entirely, fretless is a much more mellow sound, it also sounds a lot better when doing slides, and is easier to tap on, I'm sure someone else can explain it better but, basically it makes the bass sound way different
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I think you're taking this too far. The bridge and everything else you're doing isnt going to do anything noticable other than looks. You would have been better off selling it and getting a nice neck-thru or fretless with better wood. I think ESP makes a neck-thru for like $225

edit: Lol, I have the same dickies guitar strap

did you read what i said at all?

I have a set bass, and i could easily get a nicer bass, I'm doing this for sentimental reasons, this was my first bass, and i want to figuratively give it a fresh coat of paint, I don't need a new bass right now, because I have my Schecter, I'm doing this to have something to do, not to make the bass sound good enough for gigging or anything like that, I have my other bass for those reasons

and also a better bridge will improve my my tone a bunch, not as much as new pickups, but still, its not like its only cosmetic, as some of the other upgrades i'm doing
Haha, I love the pick of destiny thing on there.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

replce the stock plastic nut with a graphite or bone one?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
replce the stock plastic nut with a graphite or bone one?

that might help

I put the flatwounds on, and it sounds much better than I expected it too, The neck is so fast, can't wait until I get the pickups