Okay i dont have 3 grand for a Wal but any alternatives about $600/700. I was looking at the sr500 but it doesnt have humbuckers..would i just get thin strings and eq lots of mids and treble?
From what I've heard, he uses a bunch of crazy effects. Personally, I don't know what they are, but I'm sure somebody else can fill you in.
Actually he uses quite thick strings, 55-110's the last I knew. For amplification he uses older Mesa/Boogie cabs with internally isolated speakers that "for some reason sound much better the the newer models" (taken from a Bass Guitar mag. interview) He also uses GK(clean) and Mesa(slightly dirty) heads, a Proco(sp?) Rat distortion pedal and a rack mounted Boss EQ to make up for the low end loss from the Rat.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Bass Player has a whole article dedicated to Justin's rig. He biamps, and one amp is set p with the Turborat and EQ (for the distorted high end). The Wal contibutes most of the crunch, but if you have alot of effects going, it should distort the signal enough to mask the lack of Wal
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
i guess what my question should have been was does the sr500 give a good treble like tone becaue ive heard its not active pups and they are single coils so pretty weak. any alternative?.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
i guess what my question should have been was does the sr500 give a good treble like tone becaue ive heard its not active pups and they are single coils so pretty weak. any alternative?.

Since when were they single coils? I didn't know Bartolini produced singles.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12

i dont know much about pups i thought humbuckers were the size of electric guitar ones.
Quote by hatebreed219
Actually he uses quite thick strings, 55-110's the last I knew. For amplification he uses older Mesa/Boogie cabs with internally isolated speakers that "for some reason sound much better the the newer models" (taken from a Bass Guitar mag. interview) He also uses GK(clean) and Mesa(slightly dirty) heads, a Proco(sp?) Rat distortion pedal and a rack mounted Boss EQ to make up for the low end loss from the Rat.

He also uses 2 GK Neo 212's.

Quote by Your41Plague12

Bartolini definitely makes single coils, but they're not on the SR500. The SR has soapbar pickups (I'm not sure what the diff is though).

Quote by kriscornella2@g

Your SR500 has an active 3-band EQ!!! You obviously just haven't fiddled around with it enough. Spend a good day or two messing with your bass' EQ and your amp's EQ.

Also, passive pickups =/= weak.

It's hard to get a good Justin Chancellor tone, unless you actually have all his gear. His Wal bass is a very key component, so good luck with that - at best you'll have the general sound but you'll lack the punchiness.
he also uses a Digitech whammy, Boss DD-3 and not on tour, but he uses the Line 6 DL-4 on his pedalboard when he practices
His method of bass playing is very unique. Listen to Disposition,Schizim, Stinkfist or other Tool songs. He knows how to bring sounds that would seem different or uncommon in a typical bass guitar.
Quote by slap-a-bass
why is chancellor so awesome?

He has a pretty unique style, he has TASTE when using pedals, Tool owns and compared to all bassists in mainstream music his style and proficiency in time signatures sets him apart, a lot.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
Okay i dont have 3 grand for a Wal but any alternatives about $600/700. I was looking at the sr500 but it doesnt have humbuckers..would i just get thin strings and eq lots of mids and treble?

rickenbackers with ernie ball hybrids would be a good choice for $600/$700 but to get justin's true tone you need lots of $$$$ for GK heads and pedals
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
well with the set up he has for his pedalboard...yeah thats alot of cash needed

money money moonnnney MOOOONNNEY!
Last edited by ESP73 at Nov 11, 2007,
Quote by 14shadesofblue
rickenbackers with ernie ball hybrids would be a good choice for $600/$700 but to get justin's true tone you need lots of $$$$ for GK heads and pedals

May I just be the first to say that Rickenbackers are nowhere near $600. Try quadrupling that and you might get closer to the mark.
Quote by 14shadesofblue

a rick for 600-700$??? where can i get one! last i knew they were about 2 grand on musiciansfriend.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
I agree, Rickenbackers are at least a thousand dollars for a base model not including wood type, pick up type and so on.
Probably the only time you'll find one for $600 is if you go to E-Bay and it looks like someone beat the living hell out of it .
Dude, please don't triple post. We have the edit button for a reason.

But I suppose a ric can get some toolesque tones, I mean, Paul D'Amour used one. Also a stingray may get some tones, Justin used one on 46&2.

EDIT: Beaten by jazzy.
Another good bass to try for a Wal like tone is the Corvette $$ with a 3 Band EQ, if you can get one.

My Corvette with two Single's gets a pretty good Tool tone if I mess with it a bit.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.