I'm trying to teach myself trumpet. Can this be done? If so, any tips?
c4c

Quote by ckellingc

So I threw a rock at her.

Fuck heelies.
I'm sure it can be done.

Think of it like this, the guy who invented it, had to teach himself. So he taught someone, who taught someone, who had a friend, who taught themselves.

I'd try looking at a music store for a book or something.
it can be done

but getting a teacher to show you the basics of embouchure and breathing will make it much, much easier.
Also buy a tuner......that way you can know what pitch you are hitting, so you don't irritate yourself by constantly hitting the wrong interval.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
dude, trumpet is easy once you get the basic notes and how theyre done down its all just practicing from there on.. i know this because i played for 5 years... its just practice man
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
Quote by Nick_
it can be done

but getting a teacher to show you the basics of embouchure and breathing will make it much, much easier.

yeah. If not a teacher just someone else who plays trumpet who can show you the basics of those things. Breathing isn't that tricky if you have a basic understanding of other things that you do with your voice/lungs but it really helps to have someone guide on on the embouchure
Last edited by seljer at Nov 11, 2007,
I got one for Christmas and still find it difficult to do. Getting a decent note out of it is hard enough at the start. If you do nothing else atleast get a handful of lessons to teach you the basics and then learn to play it properly on your own.
i tought my self how to play and read music and i have a concert monday =)
I would suggest lessons, or just joining your schools band. You're better off getting lessons no matter what instrument you are playing.
I'll add again - it's very easy to develop a bad embouchure without (or even with!) competent instruction. A bad embouchure can be painful and may PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR LIPS. There is precedent - careers cut short, the players in question never being able to play a brass instrument again due to scarring. Plus I've heard some nasty stories of players overdoing the tension straining for range and having their embouchure muscles break through the skin during a performance.

Anyway, relearning an embouchure sucks.

Do it right the first time.
Quote by Nick_
I'll add again - it's very easy to develop a bad embouchure without (or even with!) competent instruction. A bad embouchure can be painful and may PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR LIPS. There is precedent - careers cut short, the players in question never being able to play a brass instrument again due to scarring. Plus I've heard some nasty stories of players overdoing the tension straining for range and having their embouchure muscles break through the skin during a performance.

Anyway, relearning an embouchure sucks.

Do it right the first time.

Ya, try playing with braces, now that sucks!

But for sure it can be done. I played it back for a few years, pretty fun instrument.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help