ah you guys all thought i was gonna ask how to play really fast!

well i'm not...

when you are building up speed on a piece gradually about how long does it take you to reach performance speed?

and please dont say it depends on each person because i am just asking how long it takes you now how long it should take me
well, it also depends on the speed of the piece in question
like, a couple weeks for me to nail a metallica solo (...and justice for all, enter sandman)
but a senseless shred solo (like pulse of the maggots) takes a very, very long time :-/
it depends on the complexity of the piece... for a really fast paced beat... lets say 120+... on a harr song... about a week... ima slow learner
I usually have a problem with stuff like "Fuel" and "Master of Puppets" because my hand screams for me to down-pick only but I lose all my timing even when going slow. "Cowboys From Hell" took me about three days to get up to speed, except for the solo. "Silent Night Bodom Night" took a month or so to get the tiny sweeping parts correct, still can't do that ending bit.

Then there's stuff that has weird timing (See: Any goddamn thing ever made by Steve Vai) which I can sometimes knock out in an hour, but another part will take days/weeks to do.
for the most part, it really depends on how pumped i am during any given day - if i'm working on a difficult piece with a lot of trouble spots, i'll pick it apart and practice them individually while working towards the goal speed - depending on the length of the piece and how long i have to practice, i usually take around 2-3 days to have it polished if i'm working at it nonstop with no distractions - that is, of course, a very rough estimate :p
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I might get some wierd looks for saying this but it can depend on the weather.

I mean: if it's cold (like it is now here in good ol' blighty) then it takes a long time just to warm up to my normal playing standard and learning new stuff takes even longer, for instance; a couple of hours ago I was trying to learn the melody part of "Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band and I couldn't get it past about 110 bpm and the target tempo is 137 and when I'm playing well I can hit 160 all alt. picked...I'll try again tomorrow with a fan heater so my fingers don't get cold.

But I digress, you get the point.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's no answers to that. It depends not only one you, but also on the piece's speed, the complexity, the time you spend practicing on it everyday, etc. To the guy above, I agree on the cold thing. When I come from outside and take my guitar, I usually play bad for a while. I also noticed humidity affects too. When it's very humid it seems like your fingers have a harder time following up. Another thing, if it's the first piece you practice at this speed, it will most likely take you more time.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

^^yeah its like that for EVERYBODY, no one can shred their ass off perfectly when your hands are freezing, gotta warm them up
Quote by Thekillerbob
^haha, you said digress

Yes, digress, as in to move away from the point at hand; mostly in a rambling manner, what's funny about that? Or have you just spent too much time in the pit lately?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by x Misanthropy x
^^yeah its like that for EVERYBODY, no one can shred their ass off perfectly when your hands are freezing, gotta warm them up

Have you noticed a change with humidity too? You know these damm hot summer days where you feel like you have glue everywhere under your clothes cause you're incredibly sweaty, where it just seems like you're suffocating. When I went to Wildwoods near a beach, I can remember how it felt fcked(the weather). I'm from Quebec Canada, we get snow every winter, and going to the south there, it's so humid besides the ocean, if I had my guitar with me I probably would have played incredibly bad. Anyways, I'm guessing you americans are used to it
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

For me, depends If i've learned the technique required, like If a lick has sweeping in it, it'll take me like a month to get down sweeping and another 15 mins to learn the lick to speed
hue
If I pick up the guitar for the first time in a day, it will usually take me around 30 to 40 minutes of nonstop playing to get to the performance level. And as said about, if you have cold hands, might as well not even try to go fast. You have to be completely comfortable and have it set in you head that "Right now, nothing else matters, just the music", and I promise you will suprise yourself. Something that also helps me is putting just a little bit of lotion on your hands and the rubbing your hands on the strings, from the bottom and to the top. It helps reduce the drag and you will play alot faster. But you have to remember to keep your strings cleans or you will soon be buying a new set.
- Play it from your heart, to the tips of your fingers